I suggest you ...

Mark files as can not be deleted

Currently, when I delete a OneDrive file on a client (phone/tablet/laptop), the file gets deleted on OneDrive and on all other clients. This is the right thing for many situations.

HOWEVER, there are some situations where I want to ensure files are not deleted. Examples are using OneDrive for backups or archiving (e.g. photos/videos).

It would be great to be able to mark files as can not be deleted.

111 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JeffB shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Who cares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately because it would be an important plus. For this reason, I will try to find one which helps me with that.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And based on Douglas Pearces' reply, it's obviously not something they'd care to elaborate on.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Question for OneDrive Administrator: It is disturbing to think that a cloud storage system touted by one of the worlds largest multinational corporations as being a safe place to store one's data could so poorly designed that one false move could result in permanent loss. Please tell me that Microsoft keeps archives of their customers OneDrive folders on separate servers (and for how long) to protect their customers. Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is truly a joke, I have just accidentally deleted 100 of hours of work, just to realize it in time to recover. I have purchased this service for this exact reason so it CAN NOT happen. I have had this for maximum a week and it has been nothing but a disappointment. I have been using dropbox for over a year without a single problem, or google drive for more then 3 yeras, all free. This is a ridicules service, I will be refunding this.

• Bingham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute REQUIREMENT--- why must Microsoft always have LESS FUNCTIONALITY then Google.

Google documents lets you mark a file-- can not be deleted/shared/downloaded -----

AND YOU ARE NOT LIKELY TO GET IT IN THE FUTURE>

This Feature NEEDS to be created.
        A PIN System sounds great, or some form of Trash/Guaranteed Back up.

Our entire team site was deleted today via mistake, Some of the files were not recoverable & luckily some files being copied via another PC before they synced.
        Our Migration to Microsoft Office365 package is currently in negotiation.

One of my clients who also had edit access to the company OneDrive directory deleted the entire folder. Needless to say, we were only able to retrieve what had been emailed around, not everything.

The problem is that OneDrive has a mind of its own and deletes files enmass sometimes. It's possible to get them back from TRASH so long as you haven't emptied TRASH.

• Lance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is horrific. I had no idea Onedrive did this. I've just watched my entire photography portfolio disappear before my eyes due to freeing up some space on a tablet. I feel like an idiot (not for deleting files on a tablet but for using Onedrive as a backup for something so important). I'm currently trying to re-upload everything but I have no idea if I'll cover everything (I guess I'll find out if my HD breaks...). Is Onedrive just not meant for serious/business use?

At least it's forcing me to get everything sorted for cloud backup so I can use another service but I really expected better from Microsoft.

• Chad Christensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a business customer of Office 365 with hundreds of licenses, I find it troubling that OneDrive doesn't not have a feature set that a typical file on your desktop has. This is why we are looking at other options as OneDrive does not suit our needs. This includes file security, AND when sharing a folder to someone they have the ability to see it as a mapped folder on their desktop vs only using it online. Very frustrating. Microsoft - you need to wake up to your customers or you'll LOOSE THEM!!

This is crazy that it isn't a feature. I put all the pics of my kids on the cloud. So some one could pick up my iPad and just delete all of my pics in seconds? That's dumb. I should be able to get a notification that some one is attempting to do this and must get premission before proceeding.

This is very insecure IMO

Most definitely essential. Disgruntled employee just deleted all files. I will not work on OneDrive without this security feature. We have had no end of issues using OneDrive and this is the last straw. My company will not use Microsoft Cloud hereafter.

• Greg Sundahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Locking a folder and making it unable to be moved or deleted would be great! OneDrive deleted all of my photos (200+gb) after syncing with my desktop. The hours to restore and re-organize was a mess! I'm trying to use OneDrive as my online storage for family photos and documents, but am not 100% convinced it operates completely safely.

I concur with JeffB!
        I've just started playing with Onedrive and accidentally moved an audio to my iPhone and to my surprise...it's now off the cloud too. In my humble opinion, this defeats the idea of safe and secure storage. There, logically, should be some indication of what you're about to do, and or, the ability to lock certain devices out. Please reconsider your position on this matter.

← Previous 1

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base