I suggest you ...

Allow OneDrive folder to be on a Storage Space (ReFS File System)

With OneDrive storage allowances greatly increasing, I would like to be able to move my local OneDrive folder into my Storage Space. My primary hard drive is an SSD with limited space. Currently, OneDrive folders are limited to NTFS formatted drives/partitions.

353 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    GrahamGraham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too pay for Office 365, and use Microsoft Products, which is why I created a file store using the REFS files system. With the new Windows 10 Pro workstation patch approaching, the default file system is REFS.. Do you not plan to address this issue? Can you not issue an official statement regarding this feature? I also hold Microsoft stock, as a previous employee. Why would you make a move like this? It's user hostile and you did so without even telling us. Fix it.

• Mathew WicksMathew Wicks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a related issue, we need support for "P" attribute files, (Reparse Points). Because they currently glitch up on the Windows 10 OneDrive, and fail to upload.

• Ken FlackKen Flack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering I specifically purchased Office 365 to perform on-line backups (1 TB) MS really messed up. Its one thing not to offer a service, but to sell it to you, and then remove it without offering a refund is "illegal". Should be a class action suit for this one.

I downloaded a synchronization program called Good Sync that does the same task, and actually has more options available for setting up sync, and works with REFS

You can find it here at this link.

https://www.goodsync.com/?a...

They offer 30 days free use,and also support syncing with many other on-line storage vendors. It works so well I bought a license for $20 (Discounted) and have signed up for their affiliate program. Trying to earn back the $ lost due to MS incompetence.

• ErikErik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By removing exFAT support, Microsoft has broken compatibility with larger SDXC cards. The came cards Microsoft promoted as a solution to the Surface having limited storage space! AND THERE WAS NO WARNING OR COMMUNICATION FROM MICROSOFT!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why did you remove functionality with exFAT file system? I had everything working fine on my tablet PC until you removed this. If technology is moving forward, why did you go backwards?!?! Please re-instate this feature ASAP. My only other option is an external hard drive via micro USB connection. In a world of improving technology, this option is very retro.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was forced to format my disks and sync all files again. I'm a paying user and M$ is disappointing me.

• P HollandP Holland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah- sudden update that means I have to format my One Drive location.

Telling me to backup... I don't have the space to, hence using One Drive

Absolutely shocking customer service Microsoft. not surprised though.

• JmaJma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

**** about face, introduce a new file system which works with Onedrive and is supported, then withdraw support because you want to upgrade Onedrive and REFS is not ready.

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem as the others: I've been using Storage Space with ReFS until this week with Onedrive. I'm a paying customer. MS needs better regression so problems like this don't occur.

I'm perplexed by Douglas' comment since it was working until this month. Was he planning to break ReFS on OneDrive?

Take a look here (https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1941) at the comment by SvenGroot who would appear to be an MS employee: "I think this may be related to a change to OneDrive in the insider builds post-Creator's Update. It seems OneDrive now applies a reparse point on the root OneDrive folder, and WSL unfortunately cannot access reparse points. Improving our reparse point support is something we're actively working on."
        I assume the update he refers to is for the Files On Demand feature. ReFS does not support reparse points. From this, I surmise that the Files On Demand uses reparse points and so ReFS support will not be coming back any time soon. Rubbish communication from MS. I'm currently Robocopying data to a new NTFS storage space as I don't think this will get fixed in the next 6 months.

Take a look here (https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1941) at the comment by SvenGroot who would appear to be an MS employee: "I think this may be related to a change to OneDrive in the insider builds post-Creator's Update. It seems OneDrive now applies a reparse point on the root OneDrive folder, and WSL unfortunately cannot access reparse points. Improving our reparse point support is something we're actively working on."
        I assume the update he refers to is for the Files On Demand feature. ReFS does not support reparse points. From this, I surmise that the Files On Demand uses reparse points and so ReFS support will not be coming back any time soon. Rubbish communication from MS. I'm currently Robocopying data to a new NTFS storage space as I don't think this will get fixed in the next 6 months.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropping support for the next-gen Windows filesystem? Is...is this for real?

• Reijo LellReijo Lell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a paying customer (Premium Onedrive and 10 Pro) and I use ReFS on your purchased software. I had been using it like I wished and you disabled it. Why?

This needs to be re-enable ASAP. Like yesterday ASAP because it wasn't broken, at least not from my perspective. Sorry, but as a regular user I don't care if SharePoint users can't do that (you are merging two sync clients, I know that), but for that you can publish a technet post saying so and let regular users use ReFS.

• Reijo LellReijo Lell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What the ****. It worked fine! It had no problems.
        I'm a paying customer (Premium Onedrive and 10 Pro) and I use ReFS on your purchased software. I had been using it like I wished and you disabled it. Why?

This needs to be re-enable ASAP. Like yesterday ASAP because it wasn't broken, at least not from my perspective. Sorry, but as a regular user I don't care if SharePoint users can't do that (you are merging two sync clients, I know that), but for that you can publish a technet post saying so and let regular users use ReFS.

• AlexPAlexP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't give it even enough votes I'd want to. Why drop support for a "next-gen" filesystem? The most ridiculous thing is that this 'change' hits power users mostly, as standard users stick with NTFS. Don't make us hate you with these poor decisions

• Pierre-Alain MichelPierre-Alain Michel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here after doing a reboot yesterday. I googled for the issue and saw that I was not the only one impacted. I contacted support via chat this morning but they were not aware of this issue. The only suggestions were to either re-format the drive after doing a backup or restore the system to a point before the last update. As I did not want to do either they said I should give feedback using the Feedback Hub. They could not pass any ticket to the development team.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is MS kicking off users off Storage Space volumes when they been using them fine for years? Storage Space is a Windows component, so it's very strange. I guess MS is trying to push everyone to Amazon S3...

← Previous 1

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base