OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Display full file names within the iOS oneDrive app

Currently, there is no way when using the onedrive app on iOS to display the full file name of all your files. This is very challenging, especially when you have multiple files that start the same way, say with a common date code etc. At the very least, we should be able to allow file names to wrap text.

139 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

We support this in the iOS app now. Just select a file (or press and hold) and then click “details” under the ellipsis. If that doesn’t help your scenario, please open another item with more details. Thanks!

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • fidan alkan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Size ait olmayan bilgileri video fotoları neden gizliyorsunuz kardeşim google sürümüm gizleniyor
    Ne hakkınız var bunu yapmaya lütfen geri alın komutlarınızı restore on the true

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not "done." When I do as instructed in "details" it still shows ... in the middle of the filename.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have files in OneDrive which I can see on my PC, but not when I look on my ipad Air 2. I can see other files in the same folder.

Any suggestions please?

• Darma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I achieve this on the web interface? I really need to be able to view the file extensions.

• Tom Ciciura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to see the fill name of my file on my iphone. The truncated view is unacceptable. Basically makes the entire concept of onedrive absolutely useless to me.

This is such a problem for me that I have to pack my MacBook if I anticipate having to work with mission critical files. Normally my iPad is all I need on a trip, but not being able to view a long file name list of all document versions in a folder means I cannot be certain that I am working with the correct version. This fix would eliminate that limitation to using the iPad.

• Al Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DUH, Why write an App to work sith Microsoft PCs that will not dis0lay file extensions?

• Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never understood why MS even defaults to viewing no extensions on its desktop. Extensions are essential to fully understand what one is looking at. But not having the option to include extensions in ODB Online is totally ridiculous and constraining. And the silly column header entitled Type is useless. All it says is the item is a folder or a file. What were you thinking MS? We can tell that from the icons. Duh. Come on community, lets get the vote over 100, so MS will understand it is needed. They can't seem to figure that out on there own.

• Sam Piper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple idea... Portrait 2 columns (1 for iPhone) , landscape 1 column with full file name, details, and actions (share, copy, download, delete). "Ease of use," a new design trend. Coming soon?

• Steve C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm amazed that this is the only thread on this I could find. It's been an issue since the software was launched. Truly incredible - but that's Microsoft for you. Anyone who struggled with Outlook 2013 when it first appeared will know just how terrible MS can be.

I would really appreciate being able to see the full file name as I too have many files which start with the same words and are only distinguishable by the final words of the file name. The ability to see the full file name in a simple list (without any graphic icon) would mean I don't need to click on the file just to find out the full name. Thanks !

• David Johnston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too want the option of a proper list view (perhaps without the big blue squares and icons) in the mobile client so as I can at least have half a chance of reading file names of usual length.
    Thanks!

• Lowell Burnham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem with long file names. I uploaded a series of videos to watch on my iPad and am unable to guess which one is which. I can sort the order by name.

But in the thumbnail view for each file I only see the same 10 characters at the front which is my filing category. At the end I can only see 4 characters followed by a space and the word copy which tells me that I can delete the file as soon as I have finished watching it. So essential I get 4 character of information to identify a single file. In the details view it's even worse.

The Thumbnail view shows a single frame from the video but that does not impart enough information to find a file except for one or two files where something specific to that video can be recognized.

I don't know what the solution might be but this is a major problem. We have advanced file systems to make use of long file names to better identify files on multi-terrabyte drives. As soon as we try to make use of OneDrive we get a massively truncated name that is unusable. I cannot see renaming 23 files just to watch them.

OneDrive is not the only perpetrator of this mess. DropBox does this but I get by as my files there are named with a leading Date such as 2014-11-14 for the most part. Box.Net does a much better job with a detail / list view that is almost the full width of the horizontal screen on the iPad. Not many problems there. The only Box limits are a command column on the left and a small icon for each file and having to collapse an action box to clear the last quarter of the right side of the screen.

I have a lot of Apps with the same problem as OneNote. They take the easy way out and do not respect long file names. iPads are not going away. Long file names are not going away. This problem is not going away. I request that you fix this major problem.

Next time I upload a series of videos to watch I will probably go back to Box. It's just too much of a hassle to use OneDrive. What a waste.

OneDrive Archive: iOS

Feedback and Knowledge Base