OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Use a file to ignore / exclude files or folder

Add functionality similar to a gitIgnore file or nomedia files. Allow a user to add a .ignore file to exclude local files or folders from being synced.

Example: I have NodeJS projects on my OneDrive but get sync errors because the file path is too long. The long paths are primarily extra modules that do not need to be synced. It would be nice to be able to exclude certain folders or files.

170 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Victor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded  · 

Hi, for this scenario we’d recommend putting the files outside of the OneDrive folder. The design is that all files in the OneDrive folder will be sync’d and files outside the folder will not be sync’d.

270 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Super0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    struggling with OneDrive due to missing ability to set more detailed file and folder no-sync rules in development environment - forced instead to turn it off / on in large time blocks.

• shengliu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is an important feature for the developers. However as of 2019 July 4, four yeast later, this feature is still not in OneDrive (mac version, don't know the Windows version), and apparently not because of technical difficulty. It makes people wonder what the company really cares about.

• Ed Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every day I see my OneDrive icon with the "syncing" status icon, all because one log file is open while I'm at work all day, and it can't sync that open file. We really *must* be able to exclude certain explicitly identified files, without losing the ability to automatically back up any other files that happen to get added to the same folder.

• Bruno Brant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's too bad - what you mean is "you can't sync a root folder and NOT sync a child folder", which is a case that I have here.

I get it that OneDrive is catered towards basic users instead of advanced users, but it'd be great to be more flexible.

(P.S. user voice still doesn't have Microsoft authentication?)

• Michael Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use OneDrive for work. The scenario for needing this ignore feature is as follows. The user has an IDE he/she develops in and the IDE stays open all day long. During this time OneDrive will not sync properly because it is stuck on the files that are open by another application. That application being the IDE. The user does not want to simply move all of the files of the IDE to a folder not synced by OneDrive. If something happens to the users computer then it will be so much quicker to recover from an already setup IDE stored on the OneDrive.

I am sure there are alot of use cases for this feature. This is just one and it effects our company as a whole.

• Nash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    very good request and a mustl. I'm suprised and annoyed that it is still not implemented

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've found that the best solution is creating a 'local' folder outside the OneDrive folder where the project will be saved and any modules will be installed. This is the actual project.

To sync it to OneDrive I manually create a 'parallel' folder and copy only the content I want using 'RoboCopy'. You can then schedule this task.

The files & folders names/wildcards to ignore were copied from the .gitignore file

The solution is based on a few articles:

[Schedule RoboCopy task and simple examples][1]

[RoboCopy documentation by Microsoft][2]

you can also use GUI to create the .bat task file to be scheduled. [GUI by microsoft][3] & [ChoEazyCopy GUI which is much better][4]

[1]: https://caughtinpixels.com/how-to-create-a-backup-script-using-robocopy/
    [2]: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy
    [3]: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/whats-new-in-windows-7-robocopy
    [4]: https://github.com/Cinchoo/ChoEazyCopy

• Harold Gale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some applications don't allow users to save to other folders by default.
    I don't need 2GB worth of files every 2 hours only to delete them when I get back to my desk

Most of my team stopped using OneDrive because of this problem

• Johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1.
    'not right now' was 2015, surely someone's groomed their backlogs enough by now to be able to implement this fairly simple feature (it's just client-side file filtering, folks.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    a) node/npm folks typically need a crazy 10,000+ files to make things work and don't provide a clean way to move local node_modules elsewhere (outside a synced folder).
    b) onedrive folks say we will not support exclusion of certain local folders à la .gitignore. Btw. from what I have just read no different for dropbox and googledrive :-(.
    Both sides have been insisting on their point of view for years, despite an obvious need and many user requests. Bravo! Ingenious engineers at both ends.
    Most workarounds seem to indeed put node based projects outside synced folders and fiddle around with a secondary local sync software to bring selected stuff back to the online synced folders. Exciting modern technology.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base