OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Use a file to ignore / exclude files or folder

Add functionality similar to a gitIgnore file or nomedia files. Allow a user to add a .ignore file to exclude local files or folders from being synced.

Example: I have NodeJS projects on my OneDrive but get sync errors because the file path is too long. The long paths are primarily extra modules that do not need to be synced. It would be nice to be able to exclude certain folders or files.

170 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Victor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
not right now  ·  Angus Logan responded  · 

Hi, for this scenario we’d recommend putting the files outside of the OneDrive folder. The design is that all files in the OneDrive folder will be sync’d and files outside the folder will not be sync’d.

245 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft's actual recommendation is to simply use another folder, then OneDrive needs to be opt-in only on Windows 10. It is quite frankly asinine to push users to sync their documents to OneDrive when OneDrive is completely incapable of handling temporary files and other side-effects of IDEs (including Visual Studio).

• joagr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would voting be closed on something like this?
    +1 for me as well. Really needed for software development work and more.

• Disapointed Again commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible recommendation. I need one subfolder (bin/) ignored so I can sync the rest of the files and folders in parent folder.

"putting the files outside" is not a reasonable recommendation.

+1
    I want to leverage OneDrive's syncing of document folders. Visual Studio and GitHub put things under Documents by default. Yet I don't want to sync .git, .vs code, or binary directories

• Angry Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folders like My Music, My Pictures and My Videos get sync errors. This is stupid. This should not happen and should be handled by default.

This is the best and simply solution to implement and it has only pro. You could simply put an ignore file in the top folder specifying the path to be ignored like .tfignore file (same sintax). This will cause, speedly processing changes, server always free from junk, ultra better user experience. But they are goats. That's the difference with Google Team, every bug open to any google product is analyzed also if not is a bug and they answer you. Microsoft should change the way they think. Most of teams work with OneDrive For Business and they archive all projects folder that containing folders like: bin, obj, packages, node, node_modules, .git, .svn, .tf and many others that users won't upload because Eg. Visual Studio downloads packages any time (hey! it's a Microsoft feature! Needless for onedrive :(!)

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a password manager application that creates a lock file while it is open that is opened with exclusive access. I want the rest of the files in this app to be backed up to OneDrive. However, OneDrive and all it's icons have a red X on them because of this one file. OneDrive says close the application to back it up. But as soon as you close the application, it deletes the file. There is simply no need to back this file up, as it is a temp file only used by the app itself. You're telling us no one at MS is capable of adding this feature?

@Angus Logan, simply not good enough, this feature seems trivial to implement, whats your REAL motivation to not implement this feature?

While I enjoy this "new Microsoft" and their products, the lack of attention to the community is terrible. Why can't we have this feature? I'm using the Windows Feedback Hub for a lot of things, but Microsoft simply ignores their users.

kk, sometimes, ms isn't care about developers. so many people request this feature but nothing updates on this thread. so sad.

guys its microsoft they will never do It if it works they dont care if you like it or not

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Angus Logan, OneDrive needs a .oneignore concept. Borrow from Git's .gitignore and/or just use the format as is, as it is already well supported. UI can add to the .oneignore with a right-click ignore file/directory. Expand on the idea and you can even set it so that the syncing is limited to certain clients. This would allow you to establish certain clients as the Source of Truth, and while downstream clients could locally modify a file, only identified clients would have the capability to sync up to the web. The file would indicate if there is to be a replace, merge, or append for downstream clients.

• Philippe Raemy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are cases when you want to sync a folder but not a subfolder. Many comments come from developpers who want to sync their project but not the .vs or .git subfolders.
    WE WANT .oneignore!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio complete looses it when working on projects in synced OneDrive folder (My Documents). Being able to ignore /bin and /obj would solve this. So MS recommends to not use OneDrive? Seriously?

I'm using OneDrive to sync developing environment(like customized VS Code) and scripts which has not been pushed yet, between laptop and workstation. But sometimes the node_modules/out (Node.js) or bin/obj (C#) files are so large that OneDrive might hang for minutes to hours, lead to possible syncing problem. (There was a project I developed on my laptop, and it costed nearly two weeks when I saw the real scripts on my workstation).

We WANT .oneignore!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base