I suggest you ...

SYNC SPEED IMPROVEMENT - Desktop Sync Speed Makes Syncing Impractical

There have been several posts here before marked as "Boom It's Done" or referred to support. HOWEVER -- this is not a support issue, and I suggest you treat it as a serious problem with the product.

I have 1.45Mbps download speed (tested on speedtest.net) and it has taken more than a week to sync 2.4GiB of my files. According to a download speed calculator, this should take only ~ 4 hours. I have set my computer not to sleep to make sure the synchronization happens.

Please see some of the older posts that have been closed -- this is a major problem because it really makes it impractical to use OneDrive the way it should / could be used if it is that slow.

Do Business subscribers have that problem? I doubt it. Please look into this. I suspect that Microsoft bit off more than it could chew -- it was a bold move to promise 1TB of online storage with every Office 365 account -- it's what got me to subscribe. Now it's time to deliver on that promise.

Thanks.

813 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John Neil ThompsonJohn Neil Thompson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Angus LoganAngus Logan responded  · 

We are always working on improving performance but we are really excited to share that we just turned on a major performance improvement in sync upload. The upload improvements apply to sync if you are running OneDrive on Windows 10, Windows 7, or Mac.

82 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marsel HalderMarsel Halder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is pathetic!

I have 12 MBPS download speed and it is taking 2 weeks to sync my 15GB cloud data!

not only the syc is slow, because when it is running at the background it is slowing down the total internet connection.

I have 205 GB storage in ondrive and i cant use it! Dropbox and google drive did that 15 gb sync in 1/2 days!

Please fix it as people have been complaining about this for years...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I've just ticked over a week of virtually non-stop syncing and it has so far synced 1.2G of 128.2 G. Useless! So disappointed with OneDrive.

• GayzeGayze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Four hours in, and only 633 mb uploaded to OneDrive. According to a bandwidth test, I should be uploading at 186kbps. I know that's not great, but this is pretty much prehistoric. I stopped by to see if there was a solution to the problem that I was missing, but see that people have been complaining about this for years, and nothing has been done. The so-called improvement mentioned in July 2015 was obviously lip service, as there are still a lot of complaints. Surely, with all the technology and money behind Microsoft, they could give us better than dial-up sync speeds.

• pan054pan054 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read some entries advising to go to Google Drive. Probably by people who haven't used GDrive lately
        To insert some data in the discussion: it took almost 14 hours to upload a 0.56 GB file to GDrive, around 0.01 MB/s (after setting it to unlimited speed).

Currently OneDrive is downloading around 0.1 MB/sec on the same computer and network, so an estimated download time of 1.5 hrs for the same file. Not great either, but 10 times faster than GDrive.
        Cheers

• Fernando SernaFernando Serna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just bought an iMac 27" and have a home wireless network with 50-60 MB/s download and 6-7 MB/s upload speeds. I use OneDrive - primarily because the subscription comes with MS Office - to back up our family's 600 GB of desktop data (65K+ files, most of which are pics of our children). This was necessary after a catastrophic failure resulted in the death of our previous top-of-the-line HP AIO desktop (running Windows 7... loved that machine for the 3 years we had it). Thankfully, we had an external hard drive back-up, but long story short, our Windows 10 replacement wouldn't play nice with it (or anything, now that I think about it). Hence, we went iMac. It took us almost 2 days to download the backup files to our machine with the OneDrive app. Not too shabby, particularly since I did it all over wi-fi (thank God for wi-fi extenders to reach that corner of the home office). However, the downloads maxed out at around 8 MB/s as reported by the app real-time. It also crippled our home wi-fi as anything else running on the network (iPhones, iPads, streaming Netflix, etc.) would cause the app to go to 0 MB/s and shut down the feed. It was frustrating to not be able to use our wi-fi concurrently, but it's done. Now time to Time Machine it all as a double back-up. We're not taking any chances. Good luck everyone.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been loading 9.2GB for the last three days and it is not finished yet. I have my settings at no limit but still only get 90kb/s.

Onedrive is in Park as far as I am concerned. Going to go to Google.

• AllanAllan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am running Windows 10 and my Sync is only going about 300 KB/s to 600 KB/s. I have about 750 GB of data so I should be able to get everything synced up in, oh an Entire Month. This isn't acceptable speed.

The same really slow speed syncing problem here too. I am around 100 KBps. On top of that my network seems to be completely overloaded while this slow syncing takes place. So I'm two times frustrated. I just started using OneDrive as a dropbox replacement. But it looks like it is not a good enought service although the price is cheap.

I am experiencing the same issues as all of the other commenters. Microsoft are you going to address this issue or should we all take our business elsewhere?

I am also experiencing upload speeds of 300Kb/sec. This is far too slow !!! 1GB takes 50 minutes. I have a decent 50Mb/sec ****** Media connection, and so i know that this is not the issue - it is the Microsoft servers that are limiting the speeds. Useless!! Do something, Microsoft !!!

• StefanStefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This upload speed is really an issue. I have a 100 Mb/s fiber Connection and it takes forever to upload, as well as the browser is crashing after a while.

Why do you not have a regular fTP Connection to use? Is it because of restrictions in the service, or what is the deal. IMO, at the moment OneDrive is more or less useless and I will demand my money back due to an inferior product.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a reported and tested upload speed of 15 Mbps, and it's taken me about three weeks to upload well under than 50GB of data. OneDrive is far and away the slowest cloud storage system I've ever used, so slow that it's essentially unusable for its stated purpose. In the UK, it would certainly be classed as 'not of merchantable quality'.

• PavPav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Business user.
        OneDrive for business is useless. Microsoft is trying to sell the product which is not working, and shamelessly charging people for unusable product.
        After you buy services fro Microsoft you have spend many hours trying to fix what you have bought.
        Can you imagine if you buying a brand new car or microwave and before you can use it you have to spend days in search for information on how to make it work, would that be acceptable?

• Steve FosseySteve Fossey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

syncing is so slow, even on paid account. I have been browsing these support forums for a few days on and off, and I have yet to see a single "BOOM! IT'S DONE" that was anything better than spin.

I'd become a business user for upgrade to office 365. But I found it didn't help for the sync issue!

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to upload 56GB of photos to One Drive. I have a 7MB/sec upload link from Cox. It has been more than 24 hours and the files are still not all uploaded. Many people have complained about the upload speeds. Please put some resources into getting this fixed.

• MeMe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a business user (well for another few hours until I have time to contact Microsoft and ask for my money back) totally useless. If you are a small business owner with more than one email address and are looking to use the service forget it. Ive had three months of shear **** and countless hours speaking with support, all of which proved to be a waste of time. Stick with services like dropbox and google and save your money

This is not fixed. I have dropbox and onedrive. On a 200mb connection dropbox took about an hour to download 65gb of various different file types and sizes. Onedrive with exactly the same files 2 days and several restarts of the client later it managed to do it. Sort it out Microsoft.

• Dan BrownDan Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it's an improvement that I've uploaded 200 MB out of 700 MB in an hour then I don't want to know how long it took to upload anything before the 'major performance improvement'. 200 Mbps up / down connection here, the sync should have been completed ages ago....

← Previous 1 3 4 5

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base