OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Add the ability to open SharePoint Sites for Mac like the Windows client does

We're trying to move one division over to our SharePoint365 and get off of Dropbox. We're getting a lot of pushback from the Mac users, about this, since OneDrive doesn't have connections to SharePoint like Windows does (i.e. the site documents list in Finder).

"Sync" a folder from the SharePoint libraries sends them down a rabbit hole of installing Onedrive For Business and ultimately doesn't work as it tells them they have to have a PC to sync to SharePoint

Sharing to SharePoint in Document Connector in O2011 will only connect you to specific files in specific folders, not folder and all subfolders (there are hundreds). No way to manipulate folders -move them rename them, move them from one folder to another. They're stuck doing this in firefox, which only allows them to move files and folders down the tree, not up.

Beckfish and Colligo as 3rd party apps for this, don't work with 365. Users are stuck using Firefox and are not happy about it. Research indicates that this is a subject of much discussion, and the answer seems only to be, "no it doesn't."

1,914 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve recently rolled out support for syncing your Team sites (including O365 Groups) and shared OneDrive for Business folders for macOS. You can read more here: https://blogs.office.com/2017/01/24/onedrive-brings-new-file-collaboration-and-management-features-to-the-enterprise/ This is available for our standalone client and coming to the Mac App Store shortly. Thanks!

217 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has had 20 years to create Office feature parity on the Mac!

Office 365 is worthless without OneDrive for Business sync with Sharepoint.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At one point back in January the project manager just said he declined to add this feature. Is it possible that we can speak to someone else? We are a Mac ONLY shop, and the lack of this feature is completely annoying, limiting and crippling to our operation. Why do I have to keep going back to my users saying "I'm sorry, but Microsoft isn't listening to Mac users?"

The new Mac One Drive for Business application is a great start. Please add the ability to sync SharePoint Online Document Libraries via this tool similar to the Windows One Drive for Business capability.

• Fabian V. Thobe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Reuben,

I write with a lot of sympathy for sharepoint, outlook and one drive. For the first time in 5 years I decided to start a new venture business with office365 instead of Google Apps, mostly to show my appreciation for the infinite amount of work you and other people at Microsoft have invested into making office products accessible via web and a pricing strategy that makes office365 affordable for start ups.

Here is what I really don't understand:
    I am in a Windows only environment the only mac user, but as it's my business I am in the lucky position to choose the productivity tools that drive this company. This might mean some pain for employees as I am a constant fighter against fragmentation (no slack, killed dropbox, rigid document naming convention,...) to reduce the fraction by different tools to a minimum and keeping data safe.

Anyhow, even Windows users are often iPad users, I am a mac user, both are fairly useless devices to access Sharepoint, a great product in my opinion.

This topic raised various votes spread on two feedbacks
    http://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/7026580-enable-sharepoint-doc-libraries-sync-via-mac-one-d
    http://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/7596777-add-the-ability-to-open-sharepoint-sites-for-mac-l

I went through great length to make this change work, I adapted to changes especially regarding email usage, adapted to much more complex rights management (this to a better of the company I must say), but my capacity to adapt ends where I am placed in in between the choices of manually uploading files via the browser to maintain libraries or changing operating system. Even in a rather selective environment like ours we can't run a company using only Office, we have prototype tools, text editors, our designers use the creative suite (external on mac), should I tell them all to switch iPhones / iPads to surface and windows 10, I don't see that happening. Give mac users a chance to fully adopt Sharepoint and enjoy it the same way I enjoy using Excel, Powerpoint and Word and how I am increasingly adoring outlook. Making sharepoint online fully accessible on the mac with native one drive for business support would be a big leap in that direction.

• Brandon Paddock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is the answer here "declined"? This means you aren't even interested in getting more votes on this?

This is crucial for teams who move to Office 365 in large part *for* SharePoint document library functionality. However having our Mac users unable to sync these hugely limits their usefulness.

Please reconsider this resolution.

• Fernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The answer of Reuben Krippner is arrogant, and denote a total deafness from Microsoft to its users, that are its business' core. MS recommends the use of sharepoint but then completely excludes its users from all Mobile and mac solutions:
    - You can't sync sharepoint libraries on mac
    - You can't even attach a sharepoint file to an email from iOS
    I own a midsize business. Reading answers like this one, I deeply regret having moved to O365, and I will try to revert it during this very month, in order to find a solution more adapted to my needs. If MS sales team have told me that sharepoint wasn't their focus on mac integration, I wouldn't have moved.

• Kevin Long commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely bananas. I regret hugely that my organization moved to 365 when Microsoft has been so amazingly deaf to customer voices. While researching OneDrive and Sharepoint this week I've seen thousands of posts about how confusing and backwards it is.. and we are stuck with it after a nightmare email migration to 365.

• Ben Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 - This seems ridiculous! Can't see how you market this as a business product when I cant sync the SharePoint doc libraries to a Mac...

• James Feldman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PS thanks for the Beckfish tip - that's a great solution and well worth the US$20 if it works - I'll test it tomorrow :)

Dean, that happens on all non-Windows devices I have - even on Windows, you need to log in via Internet Explorer with the "keep me logged in" checked, otherwise you need to re-authenticate all the time.

This is the worst thing about O365 - my Mac and iPad can manage to remember passwords for all my other services, but O365 forces me to log in all the time - a real pain.

I've lost countless sales of 365 because of this - many of my clients are Mac users and I've had to resort to other cloud storage solutions like S3 with CyberDuck client. Azure with CyberDuck is also an option, but why should my clients pay MS twice for cloud storage when they've already paid for SharePoint?

If Office 365 really is the future of Office, you are excluding a huge number of paying customers - and Mac users usually have more money to spend - just sayin'....

• Dean Kaiser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been successful using Beckfish Sync on my Mac to synchronize SharePoint Libraries (on many different "Sites") in Office 365. As an added bonus, I can do it using an organizational (3rd party) O365 logon - GoDaddy in my case. To make it work you have to tell the program NOT to remember your password if you have a 3rd party login. It will take you to your organizational login site, and it created a limited-time token for access to the Sharepoint site.

There is the rub though. Although it does work, I have over 20 sites to sync and the token seems to last only one week or less. That is a bunch oh logging in and a lot of keystrokes every few days, while trying to accomplish other work. In fact, it interrupted me just now.

Microsoft, you really need to make your own program work as it should. We need Mac to sync SharePoint sites using ONeDrive, with an organizational login!

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Read all the comments here and have the same problem as all of them: Can't understand why this should be so difficult to add the ability to sync the SharePoint doc libraries. We will have to stay with SugarSync up to the time when also SharePoint doc libs are supported. Don't call this App "Mac One Drive for Business", because for business purposes it is useless, as long as this functionality is added.
    Could be the project "Office 365" killer for me (or I'll have to choose a cheaper option), since my boss is using a Mac, and this functionality is crucial to her... Am still in the testing mode right now.

• BH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the mean time take a look at Colligo, thats what we did!

• Kimberly Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify the above idea -- Mac users can't sync libraries from SharePoint Online team sites. The application supports sync only from the OneDrive for Business library. Mac users really need the ability to sync libraries from SharePoint Online sites.

It's very disappointing to hear this functionality isn't available in the Mac One Drive for Business. I have just sold a business Office 365 that uses Macs and they want departmental document libraries that they can secure by team member and we've now had to resort to created shared folders with department managers own OneDrive's and sharing them out. If they have had PCs we could have controlled all of that from within a central SharePoint site instead. Please tell me how we are going to manage those departmental documents from within OneDrive when a user leaves the company or moves department. It's not good enough as it stands today and I hope this functionality is included seeing as the new Office for Mac is getting such rave reviews and this problem will only increase!

OneDrive Archive: Mac

Feedback and Knowledge Base