OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

There is no option "public" shown in onedrive anymore, when I want to 'get a link' for sharing a photoalbum. Please help!

I do need your help to make photoalbums in onedrive public (get a link, but no option 'public' is shown) I did up to last week, but not possible anymore.

124 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    redirect to support  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

This is a good one for support but you should be able to get a link and then post that link or share it via email. Anyone who has the link can click on it to see the album. If that’s not happening, let’s take a look at your account.

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SharePoint Admin Center > Sharing > Select 4th radio button under "Sharing outside your organization"

Assuming you have OneDrive under an Office 365 account.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to migrate 450 stray cats in my company away from gdrive and dropbox and they cite: no sharing files with clients without a MS account as being the "death nail" as to why we cannot adopt onedrive.... and theyre right!

sort it the heck out MS.. this is a dealbreaker!

• The Doctor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to have a Public folder is still there. First, in earlier version of SkyDrive / OneDrive, Microsoft created a Folder named "Public", and pre-shared it. For reasons never explained, Microsoft no longer creates a pre-shared folder.All you need to do is create a new folder, give it a name of your choice, call it Public if you want. Next share it by selecting "Add People". You are now offered two choices, "Get a Link" and "Email". Select "Get a Link" and copy the link generated. Thats all. Now anyone with that link can access that folder and all its subfolders and files you create. You can email the link to anyone, post it in any webpage, post it on Facebook, Twitter ect. That all the original "Public" folder was, a Pre-created folder that had a pre-generated share link.

I noticed that this is now finally available if you are part of the early release schedule in Office 365 - I just confirmed it is working for me now. I'm not sure when it will be available generally, but I suspect it should be soon since it is part of the early release.

• Disgruntled commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously Microsoft. When will you stop catering to the dumbassery of poorly scoped setups by limiting the options available to Advanced users. Our organisation signed up for Office 365 largely based around free-flowing information and the ability to template user configurations for access to such information. Now I'm getting hammered by the guys who internally wanted to use Google apps and drive. Well done.

Thank you so much for removing public share from one drive, I'm over the moon, very nice decision you made, because a person who doesn't have knowledge how to use this app , and the data he is uploading can be share to anyone if he does any mistake, so thank you so much I'm so glad ,

• Brian Combe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used the various incarnations of what is now called OneDrive to post images to the various forums that I belong to. Thanks Microsoft. Just discovered my public folder isn't public and people can't see my images anymore. Your useless option to allow people to see the folder contents is utterly useless in this context. As this all happened last year I don't it getting fixed soon. So I will have to make other arrangements. This is exactly the sort of **** move that gives Microsoft a bad reputation. Stop trying to 'fix' things by breaking them. Argggggh!

My Photos went from OneDrive to Flickr, to show Photos at my Websites. "Thanks" MS for the work you made for me, and Goodbye.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another blow to windows phone users, now any photos/videos I share require the person to have a onedrive account, absolutely ridiculous.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Removing the Public Folders was a big blunder by you Microsoft, get it together.

• Vamien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of those dumb Microsoft moments. Doing this has completely sabotaged my website because I use OneDrive in conjunction with my webhost. I have only 30GB maximum space, and as such, Public Folder option allows me save space and money.

I will not subscribe to OneDrive again and take my business to Flickr. There wasn't even an announcement. Man, it goes to show that one cannot trust the cloud because these companies can do whatever they want without thinking of the consumer.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow Microsoft...wow. Public folders was the best feature of OneDrive. Without public folders, there is no reason for me to continue using OneDrive. If Microsoft is trying to sell the cloud...this would be classified as an EPIC fail.

Removing public folders is a bigger mistake than Windows Vista. If Microsoft cares about the future of their cloud service, they will bring this feature back. Consider me a lost customer until this feature is back.

Just when I thought Microsoft was turning things around with Windows 10...this happens. Why is Microsoft unable to make two smart decisions, back to back? Why do you remove features, and then try and find out later on if it was a good idea?

Bring this feature back.

• Jacob P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the decision to remove "public" from share is another one of those 100% stupid decisions by Microsoft that does no good, and just causes people including me to be annoyed. This was a bad thing you did Microsoft, I'm commenting in hopes that by adding myself to this protest you will do the right thing and bring it back.

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Douglas, Your lack of response to recent posts here is very disappointing. People use the PUBLIC function and its withdrawal is a big problem for us. An update on what is happening here would be appreciated - such an update would be provided in a proper support environment.

← Previous 1

OneDrive Archive: Photos

Feedback and Knowledge Base