I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

25,892 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SimonrdzSimonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m excited to announce OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out to Windows Insiders Fast ring. It works with your personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online Team sites. You can read more about how you can begin using OneDrive Files On-Demand at our blog post here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/06/13/onedrive-files-demand-now-available-windows-insiders/#HH4Hky2ZIKZE8RQq.97 — Thanks!

1153 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Barry SchneiderBarry Schneider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jason,
        Good news!

Will this feature be available on OneDrive for Bussines as well? And for multiple OS versions => Windows 7? I also need to control this feature for all my corporate users in a Citrix stateless environment. I need to make a default setting for OneDrive for Business there :-) .

Is this a requirement you are working on? And if so when will it be available?
        Best regards,
        Barry

• Chris ElliottChris Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great progress on this solution @Jason Moore!

Do we know yet how the K1 & E1 users may be able to leverage this feature? A current challenge for my client is the lack of OneDrive for Business Sync support, both licensing and VDI usage. It would be great to leverage this OD Files On-Demand functionality to extend the File Explorer experience to pull down only active files when used.

Next thought, from File Explorer view of ODfB files, could a double-click open the files in Office Online (IE/Edge browser)? This is critical for workstations that do not have Office ProPlus installed.

Thanks in advance!
        Chris

• Tobias HjorthTobias Hjorth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Figured it out:
        Look for the file (OneDriveStandaloneUpdater) in C:\Users\"YOUR USERNAME"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive

It'll extract a folder here:
        C:\Users\"YOUR USERNAME"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\StandaloneUpdater

Go to that folder and then run "OneDriveSetup" and give it a minute.
        Bingo :)

• Tobias HjorthTobias Hjorth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on 16226 and do NOT have OneDrive on demand neither do I have the checkbox option to enable it. - Anyone have any ideas?

• Lasse ØksbroLasse Øksbro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And a option to the files to expire
        So files not stay on the device
        Or a option to online files only

For device like tablet, netbook, cloudbook
        With low storage
        And with a large category of files, large file size

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good to see this back, but unfortunately it is not completely transparent to "legacy" applications, like Visual Studio Code, for example. I never experienced any problems with the 8.1 version, at least not after making sure that all files were available locally. The "new" OneDrive can cause compatibility problems even when files are local, which is a regression.
        I am extremely disappointed to discover this, since compatibility was one of the reasons cited for ripping placeholders out of Windows 10.

• Paul JermanyPaul Jermany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I don't think it is as good as the 8.1 version (placeholders), pity because for me this was perfect:-/

• CharlieXCharlieX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be a feature of the OneDrive client / Service, not just Windows. We're looking at moving to Office365 from GSuite and most of our machines are Mac. It's ironic that just as this is poised to come out for OneDrive on Windows GSuite's got their File Stream/Team Drives coming out for Mac.

• wolfgangwolfgang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Jason, finally we have this feature (again) what so many were waiting for (and many drifted to other competitors of M$), but again thank you for making this feature available !
        AND IT WORKS in principle on my PCs; where can we give feedback about our experiences? I have for example the issue, that on some directories I see the status "locally available" , but all subdirectories are "always available";so the status of upper dir is wrong in my opinion.
        Is the right place for feedback the feedback hub of insiders, if yes what is the section?

• BChuckBChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do not forget that this feature needs to be added to other OSes than Windows 10. Bring this to Server 2016 ASAP. All the bits should be ready for you. RDS users need some love as well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I know everyone with a Surface will be shocked by this but once again a feature will not work with the SD Card. Just spent my morning testing with hosting the on-demand files on the internal drive, a USB Drive and the SD Card and the files will sync correctly on everything BUT the SD Card. Thanks for nothing (again) Microsoft.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone else having issues getting this to work? It tells me files on-demand is enabled but it's still downloading the files. It also won't let me select all of the folders to sync because it thinks I don't have enough drive space (which I don't) but isn't that exactly what it's supposed to resolve? I also don't have the context menu options that it says I should have.

• Teiki RibetTeiki Ribet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For all of you asking, this option is only available with the build 16215 (and the next ones to come of course) so you need to be on the fast ring if you want to have Files On-Demand.

• AttoyAttoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jason Moore is it possible to install on Windows 10 1703 without switching to fast ring versions as asked by @Aaron Marks and @Giacomo ?

• GiacomoGiacomo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah! Well done. Better late then never!
        Is possible to update the client for windows without downloading the fast ring windows version?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 57 58

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base