I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,128 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SimonrdzSimonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1188 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • A анонимныйA анонимный commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(And yes, you could use this feature weeks before Fall Creators was out, just by opting in to fast-ring. I used the feature, it's great, worked great in my experience. But since my machine always became unstable on fast/slow-rings, I am now waiting for it to trickle down to the normal stable Windows 10.)

• A анонимныйA анонимный commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, there is NO On-Demand for Build 1709 (Fall Creators update)!!!

Mr. Jason Moore is correct, just his information is incomplete. The feature is there IF you use "Windows Insider" with the Fast-Ring feature. It's probably in the Slow-Ring now too. But it's not in the stable build yet.

So if you want to use the feature, activate Windows Insider - or wait until it's 100% complete and we get it by a normal update. Just don't look for it on the final 1709 build because it's not there yet.

• Steve ZyndaSteve Zynda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new status icons for OneDrive Files On-Demand are flawed/inconsistent. The OneDrive Sync history confirms "You are All Set All Files Up to Date", yet I have many folders and sub folders with the spinner icon that when selected, File Explorer's bottom status bar will state "Sync Pending". When I drill into those folders and/or sub-folders, everything is show as a green checkmark or cloud icon. Basically confirming that this is not to sync. Why?

• F U microsoft!!F U microsoft!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three years later. You have to be kidding me. Oh, and thanks for blocking every email address I have so I have to use a fake one.

• SimonrdzSimonrdz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hum...
        @Elliot : 3 years later for an option avalable on Windows 8 since 2012 !

• ThorstenThorsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
        we are using Dynamics365 for our helpdesk.
        We create a new Folder on Sharepoint for every new task.
        We have more than 5.000 folders in Sharepoint.

We installed the Win10 Pro Fallupdate with OneDrive On-Demand.

But, of course we can still not see the folder with 5.000+ subfolders in the browser.
        This means we do not have the "Synchronize" button.

How can we add this folder to OneDrive On-Demand?

• SimonrdzSimonrdz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Install update (my link below) & go to onedrive settings, you'll have the option. In fine, all files must be checked

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Simonrdz. I've updated to the latest OneDrive build, but I don't see an option to force all files to always be online.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to force files to always be online? I would prefer that after opening the file and making a change, that it automatically removes the local copy.

• SheldonSheldon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What gives? I thought the Fall Creator Update was supposed to have Files On-Demand?

• TrentTrent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be good to have an option (GPO probably) to force online-only.

• Gunnar WinterGunnar Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for this feature. I think smart sync - or whatever we call it - is a great productivity enhancement. Maybe I am allowed to note that for 'legacy' support on Windows 7 and especially for Windows Remote Desktop and Citrix platforms we provide a companion to OneDrive offering the exact same feature for these 'other' systems: https://konnekt.io.

Gunnar

← Previous 1 3 4 5 59 60

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base