I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,029 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SimonrdzSimonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m excited to announce OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out to Windows Insiders Fast ring. It works with your personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online Team sites. You can read more about how you can begin using OneDrive Files On-Demand at our blog post here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/06/13/onedrive-files-demand-now-available-windows-insiders/#HH4Hky2ZIKZE8RQq.97 — Thanks!

1163 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looks more like the steady move to a cloud only driven windows experience

• QKQK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On Fast Cycle build and I think it have problem with Visual Studio Code that it could not open file or if you try, it will open the file/folder as creating new file. Prom Github bug discussion, it may be something from underlying lib that node is using for fetching file

• DcoteDcote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using it in build 16232 right now. Looks good to me, aside from minor glitches. Thanks for bringing this back!

• JimmyJimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, thanks for the try, but what was released is not ready for prime time at all. It destroyed my computer and contributed to lost time and productivity, hours and hours, nearly 40, just working through troubleshooting and trying to get it to work right. Now, it sits disabled on my computer, it can't be used.

• Michael RyanMichael Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this today with WebDrive. WebDrive will not 'sync' all your OneDrive files to the client. It only fetches files necessary.

• TheAndyMacTheAndyMac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@wolfgang, completely DISAGREE with your comment on "the extras"... These capabilities and integrations are really important for the apps to work at their most effective, and removing this will simply make the user experience much much worse. The whole point of services such as OneDrive is that you have many ways to integrate with them - and how would you stream music from OneDrive if you simply used the files on-demand, you would land up having to have the file downloaded, taking up valuable space. The current model allows you to choose between downloading the files (for offline playing) taking up space, or streaming (if you don't have to worry about data charges) - assuming a one-size-fits-all approach for all apps would be a seriously backwards step, and take away the flexibility that we need.

• wolfgangwolfgang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What M$ should do now - after finally, and many thanks again, having solved the issue of OneDrive on demand files:
        1. Throw away all the 'extras', I mean separate logic of other apps doing storing or sync directly to OneDrive server; e.g. camera, officelens, office365, groove and other apps. I am sure, with the new OneDrive client all this is solved, if these apps work locally with OneDrive files.
        2. bring this OneDrive client to win10 mobile also.
        3. also on win10 mobile throw away all the extra sync of various apps.
        4. Improve OneDrive Synchronisation by differential method (incl. TAG update only)

• Barry SchneiderBarry Schneider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jason,
        Good news!

Will this feature be available on OneDrive for Bussines as well? And for multiple OS versions => Windows 7? I also need to control this feature for all my corporate users in a Citrix stateless environment. I need to make a default setting for OneDrive for Business there :-) .

Is this a requirement you are working on? And if so when will it be available?
        Best regards,
        Barry

• Chris ElliottChris Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great progress on this solution @Jason Moore!

Do we know yet how the K1 & E1 users may be able to leverage this feature? A current challenge for my client is the lack of OneDrive for Business Sync support, both licensing and VDI usage. It would be great to leverage this OD Files On-Demand functionality to extend the File Explorer experience to pull down only active files when used.

Next thought, from File Explorer view of ODfB files, could a double-click open the files in Office Online (IE/Edge browser)? This is critical for workstations that do not have Office ProPlus installed.

Thanks in advance!
        Chris

• Tobias HjorthTobias Hjorth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Figured it out:
        Look for the file (OneDriveStandaloneUpdater) in C:\Users\"YOUR USERNAME"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive

It'll extract a folder here:
        C:\Users\"YOUR USERNAME"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\StandaloneUpdater

Go to that folder and then run "OneDriveSetup" and give it a minute.
        Bingo :)

• Tobias HjorthTobias Hjorth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on 16226 and do NOT have OneDrive on demand neither do I have the checkbox option to enable it. - Anyone have any ideas?

• Lasse ØksbroLasse Øksbro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And a option to the files to expire
        So files not stay on the device
        Or a option to online files only

For device like tablet, netbook, cloudbook
        With low storage
        And with a large category of files, large file size

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good to see this back, but unfortunately it is not completely transparent to "legacy" applications, like Visual Studio Code, for example. I never experienced any problems with the 8.1 version, at least not after making sure that all files were available locally. The "new" OneDrive can cause compatibility problems even when files are local, which is a regression.
        I am extremely disappointed to discover this, since compatibility was one of the reasons cited for ripping placeholders out of Windows 10.

• Paul JermanyPaul Jermany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I don't think it is as good as the 8.1 version (placeholders), pity because for me this was perfect:-/

← Previous 1 3 4 5 58 59

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base