OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1206 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Superb, thanks for going back to this system, I've definitely not used OneDrive as much on quite a few devices since the change.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deary Jason,
    Thanks for finally doing the right thing. We are happy that we now can update our business devices from W8.1 to W10.

• Bernd Lindemann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome especially for those 2-1 devices with limited space! With broadband connections getting more and more generally available it just makes more than sense.
    Great feature, thanx guys!

• Geoff Coupe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unlike the old Placeholders, these new "Files on demand" don't seem to contain any metadata, so I can't search for (for example) tags in photos in Windows Explorer. This is not useful.

• Daniel Petry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm excited to announce I switched OneDrive to GoogleDrive and I don't ever want to look back!

• Forjo Atinxan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note to anyone installing this, as of this writing, I had to reboot to get the new context menu handlers to show up.

• Jim Swanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I only started using onedrive with 10, so I'm not familiar with the "placeholder" feature. I do use OneDrive for ALL of my non-os files because it is a great convenience for me not to have to wonder where my files are. It's a great feature!

I have an SSD, so the slow upload/download time is something I'd like to avoid with out giving up the feature of having my files stored on the cloud. Does this "placeholder" feature permit me to keep my files on my SSD while maintaining copies on OneDrive as well as taking files updated from my other devices on OneDrive on my SSD?

• Johan Bennink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just viewed a video on this option and although I am very happy this feature is coming back I wonder what will happen in this use-case: If I have setup File History (which include the onedrive folders) or any other backup tool to backup local files on my computer will that feature -- if it included the onedrive folder -- download all files to my machine and infact negate the wonderful option that is "on demand" downlaod/sync? So: Would I have to exclude my ondedrive folder locations from backup tools -- and probably all other tools that traverse a folder structure and actually try to open the file?

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not trying to troll here, but why on earth did this get removed? It makes using the "cloud" pretty pointless.

I would like to request that crucial functionality is no longer removed, only added.

• Gunnar Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

looks like Microsoft will offer on demand cloud file access with Windows 10 later this year. But in the time being there's already a great tool on the market: https://konnekt.io. It's not only bring back placeholders to Windows 10, it's also working with earlier versions of Windows and - best of all - Citrix and Terminal Server. In addition it supports UNC connectivity and drive letter mapping based on a native network provider for Office 365.

Integrated into Windows Explorer the tool makes the whole Office 365 (Sharepoint Online, Groups, Onedrive) world browsable like folder shares and structures on file servers.

Disclaimer: I am working for the company behind the tool and I am happy to personally answer questions or send a trial to anyone interested.

Best regards,
    Gunnar

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base