OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1206 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Parth Sarupria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please make available the, make available online and make available offline feature in onedrive , as was in windows 8.1, it helps in better space utilization , you may not want every file on your pc , but still be synced on your drive

• KP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

completed my upgrade on my home theatre pc this evening.. I had read about this in one of the preview builds having smart files, then dropped much to the despair of us insider testers.. Was furious to see that the decision was made to keep this turned off.. I've read about the technical reasons to why this decision might have been made.. But certainly someone at the team meeting had to have thought sweeping this feature under the rug despite the feedback was the wrong thing to do.. Then to see this suggestion merely make it to "Thinking about it" status with a canned reply just adds fuel to the fire. This needs fixed and it needs fixed sooner than later.. This regression alone is probably enough to keep me from exercising upgrades on any other PCs.. especialy my 32GB tablet.

• Rj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't upgrade to windows 10 unless this feature is put back. I have a massive amount of data in the cloud that's now unusable on my laptop with 32gb.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was happy with having upgraded to Windows 10, then realized this change had been made to OneDrive integration...
    Presumably there's a good reason for it, but there surely has to be a better solution. This is such a backward step - almost unbelievable really.
    And why remove the OneDrive app at the same time? Just makes it worse. Now we have to use a dodgy browser to search for the OneDrive files we don't want entirely on our hard drives. Big disappointment and kind of weird in its inexplicability.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Installed 10 yesterday on three computers. Rolling back to 8.1 on three computers this evening....*because* of OneDrive. :(

• Zachary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want it back!!! I save EVERYTHING to OneDrive and set the things that I don't need that often to online only, for instance, all my ISOs, Windows 10's ISO is included there. I have limited space on my harddrive and I pay for Office 365 which includes (virtually) unlimited space.

Very disappointed!

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more - this change is absolutely a deal killer on the usefulness of OneDrive vs Dropbox. There isn't even an "App" in "Store" that bridges this problem. I am actually considering "rolling back" to 8.1 for this very reason.

Please.....don't just "think" about it. Make this a priority for the user base.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive is now useless. I paid originally for 200gb of extra storage and then bought Office and was happy to have the 10tb of storage. I'm a photographer and deal with lots of HUGE raw files, tiff files, and video files.........on a 500gb Surface 3 Pro.

Now it's useless. I spent a year building a workflow around OneDrive and I evangelized Microsoft and OneDrive.... and I cannot now. There's really no benefit to OneDrive.
    (and as a side note, the Photos app is terrible now since it shows images *only* by date and not folder).

OneDrive is unusable now. I have a laptop and a windows tablet, and doens't have the diskspace to cache my entire 1TB drive. Why should you brake something that worked perfect?

• Muzaffar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive in Windows 8.1 was much better. I could see all my files even if they were online and could decide which files/folders to sync. OneDrive in Windows 10 kills productivity by allowing users to sync only whole folders. If I happen to need only one file in a folder, I have to sync the whole damn large folder just to retrieve a small file. Such as waste of time and space!

Bring it back! I'm really disappointed in this update. The place holder function of OneDrive was the reason why I chose the Surface Pro 3 than I Pad! I can't believe I should sync whole of folder if I want to open a file in that folder. Very and seriously disappointing.

• JC181 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure it's been asked but I'll ask again.

Why did you remove the placeholders to Onedrive in Windows 10 despite the insiders being so against it?

Did you think of mobile devices with limited storage?

Do you understand that personal users don't generally want, or do things the same way as business users?

Just as an example... I have a 32GB tablet and 1TB Onedrive. I'd like to be able to access all my Onedrive files from my tablet. Without jumping through hoops and swapping and changing, can you tell me how...In the file browser as I did in 7 and 8.1?

Major flaw Microsoft that really needs a fast response. 10 deleted from my tablet, hopefully not for long.

• Jason Pettys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised how sad and disappointed I feel this morning having upgraded to Windows 10 and found placeholder files gone. I've a Surface Pro 3 with many GB's of stuff on OneDrive and placeholder files was a really slick solution for this that, afaik, differentiated OneDrive from its competitors. I read the article this morning, "Taking the Next Step in Sync," - very disappointing decision.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring it back please. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 but now have to re-think that cause I use this "offline" feature every single day. It is a fantastic feature and I can't believe it was dropped.

• Tony T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You removed the one reason I used OneDrive. Yes at least give us the option to have onedrive function as it did under Windows 8. These Surface3s do not have enough space. I have 40gigs of photos alone that were fine up in the cloud. If I want to see them I now have to download them. NOT GOOD. Revert back to the Windows 8 way on this quickly please.

• Petr Fiala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, please take back OFFLINE mode for files/folders in OneDrive in Windows 10. I have only small SSD - I do not need all data on disk online. Now OneDrive in Win 10 is dead for me. I realy do not understand this... It is the biggest FAIL in Win10.

• Alana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so unbelieveably disappointing. I finally made the switch and have been using OneDrive for EVERYTHING - my school (I'm a teacher), my books (I'm an author), and my business (I'm a photographer). I was super excited by Windows 10, but the option of putting everything BACK on my computer is absurd. Isn't that the point of a CLOUD service???

It's nice to know that now that I finally caved and put my faith in Microsoft (opposed to Google), I can't get to ANYTHING I need unless I download it. OneDrive was PERFECT. And now it's unusable.

COMPLETELY ABSURD.

I'll be sadly exploring other options now.

• Joy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I paid for a 1T OneDrive subscription and purchased a Surface with only 100GB or so storage capacity ONLY because there was placeholder/smart files... Have to roll back to Win 8.1...

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base