OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,097 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1206 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • esspytood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may not matter much for those who have space to give, but indeed, not everyone can keep that much data on a low capacity mobile device.

Even if you think selective sync of folders would be fine, you're still asking me to commit to carrying Everything in that folder whether I need it or not. Having it selective at a file basis was pretty smart, and in 8.1, you could take them off and on at a whim. And even then, you still had the option to go all or nothing anyway.

This is a complete downgrade. Nothing was fixed, or made better. Features were Removed.

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why they would remove this option completely. If some users found it confusing, at least make it an advanced option that can be turned on. Makes the unlimited storage offered with office 365 all but useless. A very unpleasant and disappointing surprise after upgrading from 8.1

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as others stated this makes me go back to 8.1. I cannot do my work the way it is implemented now om w10. Total disaster.... cannot comprehend. on top of this they also removed the onedrive app from the store, so only way to check your files is through browser. so so disappointing.

• Morroland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would MS remove this feature?? Doesn't make any sense at all. Wake up MS!!!

• Federico Gramcko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the reason that I thought that OneDrive was the best "CLOUD" was that I could have all my folders and files "Online Only" and could still see the folder in the explorer.... I cant understand why this feature is not longer available....this was the reason that I used OneDrive and not any other.....In my opinion, that feature was the one that made the different......please bring it back!!

• Wolfgang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really beyond comprehension that someone at Microsoft thought removing 'online only' was a good idea... Such a massive step back. Please make bringing this feature back an absolute priority!

• Sharlim Perdomo (Sharl) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why Microsoft even considered to remove this placeholders feature! Especially when the biggest hard drive available for a Microsoft surface is only 512 GB!

SMH. One step forward and two steps back. This feature is why I used Ondrive and not Onedrive for business. Now taking it away from OneDrive it will be why I no longer use either of them.

• John Haynes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the following comments as well. What's the point of having massive amounts of cloud storage (1 TB) , if you can't use it anyway on an a tablet (32Gb) or Windows Phone (32Gb on a Lumia 930 etc.) in the future with nothing but a small SSD? Having the files in cloud was supposed to have the advantage of having access to them on all devices even if you can't store them all on your device. I mean seriously, wasn't this the POINT of having cloud storage? Now Windows 10 has broken this completely in the way it works.

I actually CAN'T sync all of my online storage to my Windows 10 mobile devices, because they have 32 Gb, are nowhere near large enough ( I have about 250 Gb currently and it goes up by the day) to handle the amount of data I currently keep seamlessly in sync in off & online versions.

My main PC would even struggle with syncing the amount of data that I have online in OneDrive.

Come on Microsoft get your act together and produce something that is workable even if it just pointers (everything online) on the client device that can be seen File Explorer!!!

• John Haynes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 upgrade = onedrive downgrade? Why?

The implementation in Windows 10 is such a retrograde step...

OneDrive on Windows 10 is virtually useless to me now.

When is Microsoft going to fix this disaster that is in now calling OneDrive?

Throwing my voice behind this one.

Until this is fixed, I am NOT recommending Windows 10 to any of my clients.

• Vagner Ranieri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I tested the builds of the Technical Preview, I figured that not to allow asynchronous synchronization strategy was to save bandwidth in OneDrive. But now the OneDrive is completely useless on Windows10. The great advantage that the OneDrive had is missing with this new way of keeping synced files.
    Let us sync our files, wihtout donwload them to the Windows, just as it was in windows 8.1.

I hope Microsoft can do like start menu and roolback the way OneDrive works on Windows.

• Brendon O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After several hours of experiencing Windows 10 and not being able to solve OneDrive offline folders, it was either Move back to Dropbox or Roll back to Win 8.1. Win 8.1 is now back on my Laptop..... Maybe too many OneDrive team were using Chromebooks and wanted to share that experience with us.. Love how we have become slaves to someones else's flawed ideas.

• Ivo Manak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 upgrade = onedrive downgrade? Why?
    Bring online sync and pause sync back..

Windows 10 not recommended for OneDrive users with tablets and small ssd drives right now.

• Keiran Suchak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enjoying everything else, but disappointed by this change - surely this is the key point to using OneDrive...?

• Tom Hetto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really defeated the purpose of a cloud , please bring windows 8 explorer browser back!

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need this on my low storage device. The wierd thing is that the photo app in W10 does show my ondrive pictures online :s

• gege commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft, it is the top 5 requested feature among all others. You cannot just "think about it".

That feature in Windows 8.1, as I own a Surface, was the UNIQUE major reason to use OneDrive instead of Google Drive or Dropbox.

How the hell can you ignore that?

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base