OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,097 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1206 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least allow us to view all the files in Office applications. I just don't get it, how is it possible to work with the cloud files now? I have folders that have dozens of files, i don't want to sync entire folders, only the files i am working on. Honestly it was working beautifully. You guys killed the feature that people using one drive liked, and listened to the people who were actually NOT using, and therefore didn't get it (not vice versa). I have a 128GB surface, how do I work with 300GB worth of artwork/stock photography/documents/presentations?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I just installed Windows 10 and I'm extremely disappointed by the way the syncing works. I want to see all my files, whether they're online or offline and should I try to access an online file, it should download it. It worked perfectly in Windows 8.1 and I can't believe that this is the way it works in Windows 10.

• Robert Affleck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for Sync only only. Onedrive on Windows 10 is virtually useless to me now. I do not want my 200GB+ one drive files on the various PCs I use during the week.

• FC_660 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly why should we buy storage for the cloud if it has to be on my device? Please explain that logic. Pay to store files on the cloud that have to be on you device to be useable? WOW common sense is really no longer common.

• FC_660 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish I could vote 1 million times for this. This is showstopper for any other devices to upgrade to Windows 10.

OneDrive on Windows 10 is so retarded. Fire the genius who made the decision to remove smart files.

• Exodus Bro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just not enough hard drive space.. I have 10TB of one drive space.. But useless now, as I have to have everything on my computer all the time or sync nothing.. Before I could just drop files into the one drive folder, it would upload, the become online only, and not taking up space on my HDD.. Without this feature, there is almost no point.. Especially on my second laptop that only has a 30 GB ssd drive, which after the windows 10 upgrade only has 12 GB of space left.. So please fix this!

Exactly just as other post says.. http://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/8888062--sync-online-only-for-ondrive

This feature needs to come back! Just not enough hard drive space.. I have 10TB of one drive space.. But useless now, as I have to have everything on my computer all the time or sync nothing.. Before I could just drop files into the one drive folder, it would upload, the become online only, and not taking up space on my HDD.. Without this feature, there is almost no point.. Especially on my second laptop that only has a 30 GB ssd drive, which after the windows 10 upgrade only has 12 GB of space left.. So please fix this!

Seriously need this back.. Not enough hard drive space for this.. The fact that in windows 8.1 you could see all your files, as long as connected to interenet, but could choose which files & folders where available online and offline was perfect. Nothing was stored on your HDD, unless you wanted it. Now I have to go to the website and basically tell one drive to sync nothing, because this option is gone. Please fix this asap.

"SmartFiles" was the reason why I abandoned all other cloud storage services (DropBox, Google Drive). Now I'm considering going back to DropBox again.

Bring back this feature to OneDrive!

• Ilpo Oksanen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point of having massive amounts of cloud storage, if you can't use it anyway on an ultrabook with nothing but a small SSD? This is what BitTorrent Sync is for. Having the files in cloud was supposed to have the advantage of having access to them on all devices even if you can't store them all on your device. I mean seriously, wasn't this the POINT of having cloud storage?

This is a shameful downgrade and if it isn't fixed soon, I may have to look into competitors' cloud solutions to see if they'd offer something similar.

• Mike Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

& PS. when I say 'won't' upgrade, I actually mean CAN'T, because my netbook and laptop, which have 32 gb & 64 gb respectively, are nowhere near large enough to handle the amount of data I currently keep seamlessly in sync in off & online versions.

• Mike Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You broke Onedrive, you numpties! After seeing a friend close to weeping as his Surface storage was eaten up yesterday, I won't be upgrading to Win 10 till you've fixed the new, retarded version of Onedrive and put an equivalent to placeholders in File Explorer, not the awful web version. Thank god i saw the terrible implementation in action before I upgraded myself.

It wasn't broke, and man, you have really 'fixed' it good!

• Joshua Sherrard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a serious need. This excludes the lure of the smaller tabs and laptops by neutering our ability to use one drive as our online hard drive space. I appreciate that yall are "Thinking about it" but if Microsoft is going to release their product on a tablet or laptop that practically requires this feature, then it should be included, or MS should rethink their stance on these types of products. I would imagine since the tech was previously there, it wouldn't be too hard to remake it. At this rate, I wont have any space for windows 10 updates.

• Masoud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back 'Available Online Only' and 'Available Offline' features back to Windows 10 OneDrive

• Tomasz Kustra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not know whether it was better not to stay with Windows 8.1 !!!!!!!!!!! The basic functionality and very useful suddenly it turned out that Windows 10 on the grid has such a serious bug !!!!!!!!!

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base