OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1206 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So will they turn off this feature? I use windows 8.1 to access my onedrive, while I am using windows 10 most of the time. Will I have to stick to windows 8.1 forever? Will they stop us using this feature?
    On my tablet there is 16gb of storage space, minus the system. So I can not use onedrive in windows 10.
    My laptop has around 256 gb minus programs and system, but I will not give over 100~gb to onedive. My one drive is almost entirely in smart files, I just keep the most needed documents on the ssd.
    What solutions are there? I imagine that not using a cloud service and storing everything on a portable disk is an option, but a big step backwards.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like OneDrive integration has actually been stepped back from 8.1 and is closer Windows 7. I've been using OneDrive as my primary backup service. On Windows 8.1 the service was almost perfect (junctions and symlinks didn't upload and there's a 10 GB file limit...). I would move files to the appropriate OneDrive folder and once they'd uploaded I would make them online only.

Now I can't even see the folders without syncing the contents! OneDrive is no longer half as useful, which begs the question why would we use it over the more flexible DropBox?

If seeing files that aren't actually local was confusing to less savvy users, why not make the current settings the default and allow the previous function to return as a setting change?

• Shane Krueger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just this morning, I was telling a friend why I liked OneDrive so much -- because it would show all my files without having to sync anything. This is so great as I switch between different PCs quite a bit, but rarely need the same files on, for instance, my office PC as my home PC. For instance, let's say I dump a camera card full of pictures into OneDrive at home. Why would I want those 8GB of photos downloaded to my office PC? But it's very useful to be able to look through them if I need to print a photo from the office. What am I supposed to do now - go to the web? Are we going back in time here? This is the very reason that I use OneDrive over DropBox. I mean, DropBox's sharing has OneDrive beat hands down. (Since you can't share a folder in OneDrive and have it appear in Windows Explorer on both user's PCs.) But to get back to the issue at hand, what about my ultrabook? With its 128GB SSD? (Not to mention that I buy SSD drives for all my new PCs, desktops or otherwise.) Now lets say I've got a ton of both personal and business documents in OneDrive (which I do). I can't possibly sync everything. So how do I get at the documents I need? Go to the web? In my case, I use Visual Studio. Downloading a file from the web isn't an option. I'd have to download an entire folder, then upload it again. That's out of the question. So now I need to update my selective sync settings to enable the folder in which I plan to work? What if I'm looking for just one file, not all the other giant zip files that may be in the same folder? Go back to the web? This is ludicrous. The ONE feature that Microsoft has everyone else beat by a mile, and they remove the feature? Not possible! Oh, wait, this is Microsoft. Boy am I disappointed. And I waited so long for Windows 10 with such high expectations, just to find that I can't use it on my laptop. Either that or OneDrive has to go. But OneDrive in Win8.1 works so well that now I'd rather just stick with Windows 8.1 until, hopefully, Microsoft comes to their senses.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone below that this is a terrible change. I can't believe anyone thought this was acceptable. Anyone with limited hard drive space or data restrictions on their internet connection is now badly damaged in their ability to use OneDrive. Either download massive amounts of data onto a hard drive that can't afford to hold it, or be limited to OneDrive through a web browser. It's a massive step backwards for the functionality. That functionality, by the way, is the sole reason I chose OneDrive over other cloud services.

It worked perfectly before. If it isn't brought back, I will almost certainly switch from OneDrive to another cloud service.

• Zoidborg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't agree more with this. I was so excited to install Windows 10, but then utterly surprised that it wants to download all my OneDrive files. I have a lot of files, and I don't ever want to download them all. It was perfect how it worked in Windows 8.1 where you could see all the files in the File Explorer even though they were online only. Then I could just download the files I wanted to use only but still see all the files easily and conveniently.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I cannot see all the files through the File Explorer just like I could in Windows 8.1; I would have thought that keeping that feature was a no-brainer.

• Duncan Davids commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Placeholders in Windows 8.1 made OneDrive stand out from the competition and meant that my files and surface were perfectly integrated in to both work or social situations, no matter whether I was on online or not.

Without placeholders I have three problems:
    1) I have to remember what files I do or do not have on my OneDrive when I am off line (which with over 100Gb is quite a few files).
    2) Even if I am online I need a separate web browser open to even see the files that I don't sync. I can't see them in the app I'm using, e.g. pictures.
    3) If I choose to use something that is only visible in the web browser I have a fairly extensive process to do to get OneDrive to Sync it. (Right click on OneDrive, select Settings, select 'Choose Folders', click 'Choose Folders', find the folder, tick 'sync'. After all that I have to sync the whole folder, not just the file!) vs clicking on the picture and allowing it to download.

As someone that spends quite a bit of time in the air and different countries, without access to data connections, reverting this to Sync like Windows 7 is a massive step back - Please bring back placeholders!

No matter how good switching the user interface between tablet and desktop is I might have to revert back to win 8.1 if this isn't fixed before my next trip away.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You would have to think that this is a serious miss-step when Microsoft is also pushing storage limited Surfaces with OneDrive as the mitigating factor?? Will give it 2 weeks to get fixed then switch to Dropbox, OneDrive is now useless.

• Andy Dopieralski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has absolutely destroyed the usability of OneDrive on the desktop and taken it from a real solution (that you already had in 8.1) to a sickly half-clone of Dropbox. Now I have to revert three PCs because this (absolutely worthless) change broke so much of how I use the cloud to keep different productivity systems connected without burning up my limited local harddrive space.

• Johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I´m not upgrading my everyday computer from Windows 8.1 until you bring back this feature with placeholders. I am very disappointed that you would drop such a great feature. Was exited to upgrade to W10.

Hope to see it soon in W10.
    Thank you please!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

c'est une vraie régression !!! quel est encore l’intérêt de Microsoft dans cette histoire. S'ils ont retirer cette fonction ce n'est pas par hasard.
    Vraiment déçu de cette migration windows 10. Je commençais à m’habituer à metro.

• Eddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I found some very disappointing "de"-provements" but this one is just the worst..!!! I was using that function extensively.

I thinking on downgrading to 8.1 till this is fixed..!!!

• Njr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I understand that for the average everyday user it might be hard to figure out that the content stored in the OneDrive folders is not actually in their PCs, and that was probably the main reason why in Windows 10 you have to selectively choose which folders to Sync.

What I don't understand is why you had to hard code the app in such a way that you can't have the possibility to access the onedrive folders without entirely syncing them. I would love to be able to access a few files in one of my 67gb folder without having to completely sync (especially if I am accessing it through my 32gb tablet).

This was a great feature on the previous onedrive apps that were completely removed in the new one for win10.

• Steve Doggett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My laptop has just upgraded to Windows 10 and I think it's terrible that One Drive now doesn't work as it did. My laptop has a 250GB hard drive. My One Drive has almost 1TB of data. Everything used to be fine as I had everything set to online only (as my laptop is pretty much always connected). Now this has been removed, I have to select which bits of my One Drive to sync to my laptop!!! I don't have any files stored locally, everything is in One Drive. How can, what has become, an essential part of Windows be SO degraded in the latest version??? When will this feature be available again so that I can use my data how I want to? Is there any other app I can install to give this functionality? I'm going to now have to remember to go on to the web version of One Drive and upload files and delete them on my laptop. This completely defeats the point of One Drive. I even switched from using Google Drive as my cloud storage specifically for this feature!!!!

• Simonrdz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey je ne pensais pas succiter autant d'intérêt !

J'espère que ça va marcher ;)
    Continuez à voter !

• Tim Gagne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is a similar thread but asking for an "advance" option to turn this on. There is some history and comments from the OneDrive team about the removal and [hopefully] eventual re-additition... https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6708195-add-an-advanced-option-to-restore-showing-all-oned?tracking_code=58eb9984531255faa46d4317afe1df2f

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base