OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1206 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christopher Yue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!

I am looking to provide a semi replacement to my file server and I run an RDSH environment.

I most definitely would not want to have users syncing all those files across the RDSH estate.

Having the ability to map a drive would be an alternative if this could be officially supported.

• Philippe Bédard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Browse and manage from OneDrive without having to sync all my files. It doesn't have to be placeholders files like it was for W8.1 but have the functionality implemented directly in: Windows Explorer + File Open Dialog + File Save As Dialog. Online only files could then be virtually shown in these windows as gray files without having any placeholders but allowing users to manage those files (open, replace, delete, make available online/offline, rename, etc.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to store all of my files online-only because none of my devices have a large amount of storage space and I access these files from multiple devices.

I can use an external hard-drive to back-up my documents. What was great about OneDrive was being able to use Microsoft Office and Windows Explorer (I'm in Windows 7) to access and edit my files *AS IF* they were stored locally while in fact having them stored only online.

• Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a look on this software for Exchange Database through Ahsay backup software. It should Backup and Restore Microsoft Exchange Server is Simply a Breeze When using Ahsay™ Microsoft Exchange Backup Module in conjunction with AhsayOBM client-side backup application, backup and restore the whole information store of Microsoft Exchange Server can be done easily. Database hot backup. Fast multi-thread backup. In-File Delta incremental backup. Flexible scheduling. Unlimited retention. Secure 256-bit encryption. Local, LAN / WAN backup. Ahsay also provides us Exchange DAG backup and Exchange mail-level backup. Leaving a link below just check: http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index.jsp?pageContentKey=ahsay_products_overview

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand why placeholders are being phased out/improved on. I've read the blog etc. My problem is that before with placeholders I could retrieve an individual file from my onedrive with ease. Placeholders still exist on Windows phone without the slightest issue. You need it? it pulls the file down by the internet. Why would I sync an entire folder or drive for one file? too much trouble.

1. How about a folder showing most recently edited documents on the pc. keeping the last 10 documents always synced fully so I have those at hand always up to date. No matter the folder! synced or not!

2. How about a switch where I can show/hide placeholders temporarily to grab files using explorer instead of having to go to the website or sync a folder. then placeholders turn back off after I've grabbed the single file.

Finally!!!!!! I see how word/powerpoint and excel preview on win 10 easily pull a file from onedrive if it isn't already downloaded. Maybe you could bring back the onedrive app from windows 8 and in that app maintain placeholders! the windows explorer window would only show what's synced on the pc. The app would show everything! just like the office preview apps. Everybody wins because if you download individual files using the app similar to word preview they would show in the windows explorer. No more no less!

1 2 57 58 59 61 Next →

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base