OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m proud to announce that OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/920288442965164033). Whether you use a personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you can now browse all your files without filling up your disk and take advantage of the rich features of File Explorer. Read more about how you can start using OneDrive Files On-Demand & skip ahead if it hasn’t been rolled out to you yet (https://t.co/YFxsqB3JNb). Learn more about deploying Files On-Demand in your organization (https://t.co/zjAQJnbQlo). Thanks to all of you for the emphatic support, and a special thanks to our incredible self-hosters in the Windows Insider Program!

1206 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ali b commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well at least microsoft can try to make sdds larger and more affordable jason.

• Gustavo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People, give Jason a break. He was just being ironic when he said he was passionate about this feature. Obviously he wouldn't have removed it in the first place if he was.
    So just switch to a better online storage provider and let it go. I'm looking at iDrive which looks better priced than DropBox (iDrive is $52 for 1TB for a year). Does anyone know of another provider with similar pricing for 1 or 2 TB? I haven't tested yet to see if iDrive has the functionality Jason "passionately" removed from OneDrive. If not, I guess it'll be DropBox.

• Kaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that feature is missing. I hope to see it soon. As I see tons and tons of people requesting this feature but you can't implement it for years? really??

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with most the postings here. MS producing a 5% product and then spend years NOT LOOKING at what people post. VEIW ONLY! THAT MEAN YOU CAN ONLY VIEW THE DOC! NOT DOWNLOAD, NOT PRINT, NOT COPY, NOT Sync YOUR drive to Their computer, NOT NOT NOT! YOU CAN ONLY SEE THE DOC! THAT IS WHAT VIEW ONLY MEANS!

For the people that use MS, do you ever wonder what product MS employees use at work? It can't be the **** they put out to the public or it would be a complete product. Not a 5% product that they spend 3-4 years fixing to make it a 20% complete product and than launch at as a "NEW" version.

This has nothing to do with onedrive, but I Am posting so.. OUTLOOK 2016 - You still have to open WORD to print a envelope!??? Really? I do the beta testing and provide feedback (WHY I WASTE MY TIME, I DON'T KNOW) not to have a thing changed. Yeah I know it's not All About ME, but READ THE POSTINGS!

MS Employees, take the chains and blinders off and go outside. Get some fresh air and pull your head out of......Hmmmm the black hole you are in.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People, give Jason a break. He was just being ironic when he said he was passionate about this feature. Obviously he wouldn't have removed it in the first place if he was.
    So just switch to a better online storage provider and let it go. I'm looking at iDrive which looks better priced than DropBox (iDrive is $52 for 1TB for a year). Does anyone know of another provider with similar pricing for 1 or 2 TB? I haven't tested yet to see if iDrive has the functionality Jason "passionately" removed from OneDrive. If not, I guess it'll be DropBox.

• Gerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like I am going to cancel my OneDrive subscription and go back to DropBox with smart sync capabilities

• Franz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this as part of Office 365 - and not just for Windows. Mac and Windows versions need to have the same feature set!

Dropbox have Smartsync.

Google have team drives in their Gsuite (and unlimited shared storage) with File Stream in public beta. If users start using team drives intensively admins will soon start considering moving everything to Gsuite.

• MTF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My surface pro 3 is short of HD space. Need to have many files AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY!

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am guessing in the early years, the bandwidth required to support this feature on the microsoft side was manageable due to the relatively lower user count. I would assume you dropped it a few years ago due to the increasing user count and the bandwidth. You must bring this feature back as my surface pro 3 no longer has the HD space to obtain the full benefits of the OneDrive service.

At least make it available for the Office365 customers! At least give the community more frequent status updates on this topic! The only reason this isn't voted higher is it took 6 months for this customer to stumble across this page!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is taking too long. You guys had this feature in Windows 8... where did it go? I want it on my Mac... 250GB SSD vs 1TB onedrive... DO THE MATH... people really need this!

• Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Jason!
    We are still waiting.
    Are you really "working on it"?
    This is a disgrace.

• Nimo Nimo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shame on u Jason Moore 2 years and still waiting! in the business world you will be long gone and forgotten if my clients have to wait for so long

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You guys made many people angry, huh...
    Why you don't just explain why its so hard to implement existing feature. Many of us would live several minutes longer then :)

• Braddo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just installed Windows 10 and O365 and was really surprised that MS hasn't bothered to build in such a basic sync capability. It didn't even occur to me to do the research ahead of time because it's such as an obvious feature.

• Aekeam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me get this straight...
    For TWO years now the great big company Microsoft has been 'passionately' working on a feature that we, the users, ALREADY HAD and that you, the big conglomerate, TOOK AWAY, WITHOUT NOTICE!? And now we're almost a quarter of the way into 2017 and the last update on this was half a year ago saying to wait even longer for information on this!? If you guys pull a stunt and try to charge us for this, that will be the biggest mistake you guys have ever made, and you will lose thousands of customers. And if you don't deliver anything soon, you'll lose thousands more. I don't know who to be more upset with, the person(s) responsible for the decision in the first place, or the person(s) responsible for why it's 2 years later and STILL NOTHING!

When I got my Surface, I was on the mountain top screaming its praises, in large part due to this very key feature. Now I am so angry that not only am I actively looking at alternatives to the Surface, I am also on brink of recommending everyone else to do the same; not because the Surface is a bad product, but because the company that makes it, apparently, doesn't care about the voice of it's consumers. This topic has 24,638 votes at 8:54am on 2/25/2017. I gave it all the votes I could, capped at 3 out of 10, and I would have given it all 10, if I had been allowed to. I'm sure the same goes for many others as well. So that 24,635 vote figure is a LOW floor to the HIGH ceiling of votes this topic could and would be. LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE! I'm taking this to Twitter. #BringBackSmartFiles

• Gustavo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You finally lost me: good bye Onedrive. I've been waiting for this for so long and you lie to be working on something that was ready in previous versions.
    Passionate!? blah

• Sandi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The latest roadmap doesn't show anything related to Placeholders or On-Demand Sync.

I don't use OneDrive nearly as much as I used to and I had to change to other cloud storage solutions because MS thought it was a good idea to remove placeholder files.

Please bring this back.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is this feature at in the roadmap released today? I think we'd rather see placeholder than "differential sync".

1 2 5 7 9 60 61

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base