I suggest you ...

OneDrive Files On-Demand

Allow an online sync only for OneDrive, like Windows 8.1 file explorer did.
Most of PC don't have enough storage to keep files on HDD.
That will really improve productivity !

26,139 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SimonrdzSimonrdz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m excited to announce OneDrive Files On-Demand is now rolling out to Windows Insiders Fast ring. It works with your personal OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online Team sites. You can read more about how you can begin using OneDrive Files On-Demand at our blog post here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/06/13/onedrive-files-demand-now-available-windows-insiders/#HH4Hky2ZIKZE8RQq.97 — Thanks!

1172 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TrentTrent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be good to have an option (GPO probably) to force online-only.

• Gunnar WinterGunnar Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for this feature. I think smart sync - or whatever we call it - is a great productivity enhancement. Maybe I am allowed to note that for 'legacy' support on Windows 7 and especially for Windows Remote Desktop and Citrix platforms we provide a companion to OneDrive offering the exact same feature for these 'other' systems: https://konnekt.io.

Gunnar

• Tom AdrhTom Adrh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this feature. It is a horror!

OneDrive is freezing, restarting, displaying wrong sync icon on items even sync is completely finished.

And the worst is before it is possible to set "free up space" attribute on an item, this item has to be downloaded entirely from the OD cloud - it doesn't make any sense! Items that are on the OD cloud should not be automatically entirely downloaded ... they should be downloaded on demand only!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That works weird when Windows search is enabled. Indexing forces downloading all of the library. lol.

• Peter Bech-LutzkaPeter Bech-Lutzka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs the ability to show "placeholders" for shared files as well. I mean: X shares a folder with Y. Y needs to go offline and wants to sync the shared folder to his PC. Not easy today.

Take a look at how ShareFile Sync has implemented the feature - You can tick off from 3 main categories (Personal Files and Folders + Shared With Me + Favorites), what the Sync Client needs to sync to the local PC.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looks more like the steady move to a cloud only driven windows experience

• QKQK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On Fast Cycle build and I think it have problem with Visual Studio Code that it could not open file or if you try, it will open the file/folder as creating new file. Prom Github bug discussion, it may be something from underlying lib that node is using for fetching file

• DcoteDcote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using it in build 16232 right now. Looks good to me, aside from minor glitches. Thanks for bringing this back!

• JimmyJimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, thanks for the try, but what was released is not ready for prime time at all. It destroyed my computer and contributed to lost time and productivity, hours and hours, nearly 40, just working through troubleshooting and trying to get it to work right. Now, it sits disabled on my computer, it can't be used.

• Michael RyanMichael Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this today with WebDrive. WebDrive will not 'sync' all your OneDrive files to the client. It only fetches files necessary.

• TheAndyMacTheAndyMac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@wolfgang, completely DISAGREE with your comment on "the extras"... These capabilities and integrations are really important for the apps to work at their most effective, and removing this will simply make the user experience much much worse. The whole point of services such as OneDrive is that you have many ways to integrate with them - and how would you stream music from OneDrive if you simply used the files on-demand, you would land up having to have the file downloaded, taking up valuable space. The current model allows you to choose between downloading the files (for offline playing) taking up space, or streaming (if you don't have to worry about data charges) - assuming a one-size-fits-all approach for all apps would be a seriously backwards step, and take away the flexibility that we need.

• wolfgangwolfgang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What M$ should do now - after finally, and many thanks again, having solved the issue of OneDrive on demand files:
        1. Throw away all the 'extras', I mean separate logic of other apps doing storing or sync directly to OneDrive server; e.g. camera, officelens, office365, groove and other apps. I am sure, with the new OneDrive client all this is solved, if these apps work locally with OneDrive files.
        2. bring this OneDrive client to win10 mobile also.
        3. also on win10 mobile throw away all the extra sync of various apps.
        4. Improve OneDrive Synchronisation by differential method (incl. TAG update only)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 58 59

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base