I suggest you ...

respect metered connections in Windows 10

In Windows 8.1, OneDrive would detect whether the internet connection was a metered (data-capped) connection or not and would automatically pause syncing until it was connected to a non-metered network. This functionality seems to have been removed in Windows 10. Please bring it back.

1,736 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt ThorkildsenMatt Thorkildsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

174 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nic OatridgeNic Oatridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Microsoft getting a kickback from 4G providers? My metered connection goes into overdrive whenever I connect a Microsoft product compared to Android, even though I have said it is metered.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable that such a basic feature is not implemented. That's probalby 10 lines of code!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have a metered connection then managing your data limits is IMPERATIVE. I have set my PC as metered; ALL Microsoft products should check the setting before uploading / downloading.

• MatthewMatthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A shame I can't pause OneDrive for more than 24 hours without exiting it entirely. I'm switching ISPs soon that will allow me unlimited data again, but until then, I'm stuck on a quite limited data cap (an idiotic concept frankly).

I definitely need to conserve data while on my phone hotspot which is most of the time since I travel in an RV! I need the update and sync only when on a nonmetered wifi!

• Royce JohnsonRoyce Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And how! Most of the world lives where internet data is neither copious nor fast. I have seen dozens of requests and complaints about this and the typical Microsoft response has been ... nothing.

• Roel BouwmanRoel Bouwman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another upvote for this (as far as I'm concerned ESSENTIAL) feature.

Onedrive robbed me of over 4 GB of data Saturday by syncing an mp4 file from my pictures folder over a mobile connection on my tablet while it was lying in the glove compartment of my car.

However, I would like to suggest a solution that's a little bit more advanced than just allowing or denying sync over metered connections. I would like to be able to set a size limit for files to be synced over metered connections. Most of the time, I do want my files to be synced when I'm on the road. I might just need a file that I've created at home the day before, or I need the photo that I just took on my phone (which is automatically uploaded to Onedrive). However, I have no need at all for a 4GB MP4 movie to be downloaded over mobile data.

If such an option would be present and have a sane default (about 10MB/file would do it) large files would still sync whenever you're on a wireless (or wired) connection, while maintaining all functionalitity for smaller files.

If this is implemented and while on a metered connection, clicking the tray icon could show all the files that are too large and for which sync is pending, with an option to sync a specific file by clicking on it and a quick link to the maximum size setting for users that wish to adjust the set limit.

• Chris BChris B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature need. Without it, using my laptop for tethering is impossibly expensive due to data use. Basically, OneDrive makes it impractical to ever use a mobile phone for a connection, but I did that routinely without OneDrive with no significant cost.

• Chris BChris B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a 3 Gig monthly limit with my mobile phone company and recently converted to Office 365, OneDrive, Exchange. I often use my phone as a hotspot for my laptop (my only computer). No problems until now. In a matter of 30 minutes, the OneDrive, Exchange connection ate 2 Gig of my plan. Had to disconnect my computer from the network to avoid major charges. No prior warning or advice. I have set this connection as metered. Not sure if that will help? This flaw makes what is otherwise a good system a real problem because it makes mobile computing impossibly expensive. I would recommend: 1) Notify customers that due to how the system works, they need to identify metered connections to avoid overcharges; and 2) An automatic throttling system on these connections.

• MargaretMargaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I get message off PC saying am on a metred connection , an please keep it simple as in my 60's an not very technical thanks

• ButjeButje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OD sucked my 5gb lte data volume within 2 unattended hours. I'm paying customer and I want to decide what my computer is doing!

how to shut down the automatic sync with onedrive??? in windows 10 mobile??? I only wanna sync when having wifi

• Dirk ZandkampDirk Zandkamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like basic plumbing for this functionality in the Windows Desktop client is present in the Outlook 2013/2016 maillcient, so perhaps this approach might be used.
        Otherwise, for Windows 8.1 and up the standard metered connection alert could be triggered.

This is ridiculous, a 'feature' unwanted by users.
        What is the reasoning behind not allowing total control over this?
        I'm just about to disable Onedrive completely due to this.

• Graham KeenGraham Keen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful to have an option on "Onedrive" to be able to stop synchronisation on a metered network. At the moment, Windows 10 continually reminds me to Pause Onedrive as I'm on a metered connection, but you can't.

• MatthiasMatthias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YOU SHOULD BE WORKING ON THIS PROBLEM! I can understand that only few people need this feature. The number is small because most people still use their pc like a old fashioned tower sitting on your desk, even though they have tablets or notebooks.

Those who need it, are waiting desperately for it to come!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's about as basic as it gets for a cloud-storage APP in 2017! "Thinking about it" is not the way to deal with this kind of request. "Integrated yesterday" is how it should be flagged by the MS team!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base