I suggest you ...

respect metered connections in Windows 10

In Windows 8.1, OneDrive would detect whether the internet connection was a metered (data-capped) connection or not and would automatically pause syncing until it was connected to a non-metered network. This functionality seems to have been removed in Windows 10. Please bring it back.

2,108 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt Thorkildsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

195 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it taking so long to do this? Windows 8.1 had it, so your developers know how to do it. This thread has been alive for 16 months. At what level of votes will you actually do something?

• Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

um. I have 15 GB a month for satellite data, and it costs $30 for 3 GB increments. I flashed through 6 GB in a day without realizing it. I unfortunately had happened to transfer about that much data to my laptop drive right before I went onto a metered network....sigh... - Good to know that Google has this and there is an alternative. - kind of sad, and not sure what data you are looking at to remove such an important feature. Hope that helps.

• Bill Chesnut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this taking so long, you had it in a previous version, you are costing me money and if you cost me enough, I will find another tool, you new pausing feature sucks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"PC is on a metered connection pause onedrive.." what on earth were they thinking and to remove a working functionality.

The fact that someone sets a connection to be metered implicitly means, DON"T USE MY DATA for background processes, onedrive synchronization is the epitome of such a process.

Suggestion, pause by default on metered connectiion, have an option to pause/unpause onedrive available all the time would be nice too.

• Bran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's clever enough to warn us...it not pausing automatically does not make sense.

I'm trying to avoid putting all my eggs in too few baskets - but if this issue isn't addressed in OneDrive SOON I'll be using G-Drive and DropBox (and ... , etc) instead. Silly to remove a feature that is so important to small businesses and individuals, especially those not in a large US city.

• bowmanja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be BEST if automatically pausing OneDrive sync on a metered connection was a choice in OneDrive settings, so it can be turn on or overridden if needed.

We planned to role out Surfaces with Onedrive to our sales force, who primarily use cellular data. We've delayed roll-out because this feature was removed in Windows 10.

• Shaun Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still can't believe this is hasn't been addressed. I used my phone as a mobile hotspot while our normal internet provider was down, I have my mobile hotspot designated as a metered connection. 20mins later and OneDrive has used 2gb meaning I now have to cut my mobile data usage right back for the next fortnight or face additional charges. It's lucky I was even keeping an eye on the usage. The android app on my phone is set to only sync when on wifi and charging, yet the Windows 10 version lacks even basic sync logic. Pathetic. Why do I pay $90 a year for this ****.

I got new laptop on metered account and the download from one drive will cost me $30 surpriaed and annoyted

• Bryan Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I share a family data plan with four others. I mostly use it while out & about on my phone. But occasionally I travel and use my phone's hotspot to connect my computer. A couple of months ago we got a notice that my account had consumed OVER HALF the monthly data allocation in just a couple of days. After a lot of investigating I concluded that OneDrive was responsible. I try now to pause or shut down OneDrive before using the hotspot. I forgot again today and it quickly gobbled up another GB of the data plan.

This is really unacceptable. There has to be some better mechanism for limiting usage when on a metered connection. Perhaps there are other approaches but I'd really love to hear of any alternatives. Even if OneDrive could report on what files or folders are consuming data it would help identify the offending files!

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our top level managers visit all our office locations and also out of their home offices. when at their home offices they are maxing out the data limits when they copy files to their computers then OneDrive Syncs. need a way to disable sync when connected to certain networks to keep them from maxing out data limits. if we cant get buy in from upper level management we may have to stop using the product

Okay I just capped my data limit 3 days into the new month becasue OneDrive synced 3.5 GBs of I don't even know what. PLEASE add this feature it will make me stop usig OneDrive altogether sooner or later

This is very much essential for people like me who switch between personal hotspots, wifi and LAN connections frequently.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base