OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

respect metered connections in Windows 10

In Windows 8.1, OneDrive would detect whether the internet connection was a metered (data-capped) connection or not and would automatically pause syncing until it was connected to a non-metered network. This functionality seems to have been removed in Windows 10. Please bring it back.

2,272 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt Thorkildsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

225 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree with previous comments: You should allow the user to choose whether they want this done or not. I use a metered connection, but I want to keep OneDrive syncing on it. Suddenly I have to unpause every time it reconnects, and when I'm walking around between offices all day, this is becoming a real pain.

• Wilhelm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a good function, and it does a good job, but you should have thought about allowing the user to choose whether they want this done or not. I use a metered connection, but I want to keep OneDrive syncing on it. Suddenly I have to unpause every time it reconnects, and when I'm walking around between offices all day, this is becoming a real pain. Sorry.

• Nicholas Savino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As it stands, this setting requires revision. Please add a checkbox that allows the user to choose whether or not OneDrive will pause automatically if a metered connection is detected. It is critical that the user have the option to disable automatic pause on a metered connection. Pressing "resume sync" every time I open OneDrive is ridiculous.

• Joshua Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really don't like this "feature" at all. Please have the option to go back to the way OneDrive used to work: a prompt to pause on metered, but the default is to continue syncing absent any user intervention. The new "feature" has already resulted in sync discrepancies several times.

I don't want Windows updates wasting mobile data, so I have my connection set to metered, but it is critical that my documents stay synchronized properly when I'm switching between devices, one of which is almost never on a non-metered connection.

Having to manually tell each of my OneDrive accounts to sync every. single. time my laptop comes back from sleeping is absolutely ridiculous.

• StephenCWLL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not quite done yet. The notification that I'm using a metered connection comes up automatically but when I click "sync anyway" it doesn't. I have to then open up the software and tell it to sync.

• John King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE tell me this is configurable? PLEASE tell me you didn't just assume everyone wants to auto-pause Onedrive on metered connections?

Many of us use "metered connections" to take control of updates.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 years for a basic feature and no option to turn it off.
        Metered Data should work frmost for updates and the like. Not business critical data syncs.

Sigh².

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does it have to be one thing or another? Why can't the USER decide if they want OneDrive to constantly sync or not? As someone who is on and off of a metered network at various times throughout the day, NOW I have to constantly remember to sync all of my files manually before I close my laptop lid and then wait for it to do it, or else I can't get to them when I go to my desktop or try to access them on my phone. It used to just do it automatically and now, no matter what I do, I get this annoying gray "pause" symbol on my OneDrive cloud icon in the tray that says "Syncing Paused." It is beyond aggravating. Just give us the choice to "Turn on/off automatic syncing while on a metered network." DONE.

• Jens Uffhaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No not "BOOM". It too you 3 years!!!! Who knows how much paid for data was wasted. This is not a win and you should not pat yourselves on the back. Rather put your tail between your legs and ask for forgiveness.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've seen the function: when logging onto metered network OneDrive syncing is off and asks to turn it on. Very happy to have this straightened out. Tks for listening.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful to reflect the "Working on it" status into the Windows Feedback Hub for:
        * feedback-hub:?contextid=148&feedbackid=120cb0c9-d5fc-482f-9df5-683b60ff1e68
        * feedback-hub:?contextid=148&feedbackid=9753c18f-fbe0-4272-a7dc-fe5e8bdb2786

• Benjamin Wakefield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a metered connection often while I'm working away from my desk. I don't understand why I get a prompt reminding me to pause OneDrive, but there is no option to make OneDrive automatically do the smart thing and pause itself. If I'm getting a prompt, it knows I'm on a metered connection.

I would really appreciate this feature.

• Hans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What do I see? "We’re working on adding this capability."
        Finally, after 2 years "Thinking about it"?
        Ok, better late than nothing. So please keep on working :-)

• Ken Chumley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

am also on a metered connection and thinking about signing up for Office 365 with the 1T storage. But, it appears OneDrive is the only way to manage the storage. The 1T of storage will end up costing me hundreds of dollars per month in metered connect fees.

Third parties respect metered connections. It seems Microsoft, who invented it, would also unless there are hidden motives.

• Steve Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have set onedrive to run at 1 kbsp up and down for the foreseeable future. I'll likely have to stop using it altogether.

• Steve Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is beyond a suggestion. This is a no-brainer. Really, what good is designating a connection as metered if onedrive runs in the background? Fix it. Onedrive is broken on 10 and I will uninstall it if it is not fixed right away.

I see this "good suggestion" was made a year and a half ago. OneDrive just chewed up 2 gigs of background data on my PC when I was connected to a metered connection (Jan. 2018). MS should have fixed this by now. The functionality should have never been removed in the first place.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

OneDrive Archive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base