OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

OneDrive for Business - Implement shared folder syncing to desktop client

We need the ability to sync folders that have been shared by another Onedrive for Business user with the desktop client. You just rolled this out for personal OneDrive, but it seems like it's more important for Onedrive for Business.

3,209 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Blake Gossard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

310 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update the OneDrive app to keep up with the likes of other business apps like Google Drive, DropBox etc as its falling so far being and becoming a nightmare to sell and support.

OneDrive desktop app should by default be able to sync its Shared Folder without having to try do it all manually. Also cannot do it at the root level another big nightmare!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shared with me folders are being created in the desktop app but they do not update. If I add a document to the shared folder the person I'm sharing it with can see it at on the web but the desktop folder never updates. This is very frustrating.

How can Microsoft so consistently miss the mark on SO MANY projects? I spend half my time chasing missing basic features, or "feature updates" that remove basic functionality.

Then we get a raft of cosmetic updates that or features that no one will use, e.g. Windows Subsystem for Linux.

As some kind soul points out below, the SYNC button is buried in the CLASSIC VIEW.
    Obviously, the "feature rich" latest version doesn't contain it.
    (FACE PALM)

• Pitt Paul Wehr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable!! I´ll have to migrate my Office for business, for a home edition so it works with the Onedrive of my crews smartphones?? They don´t even use a PC or Office, We only need that the Onedrive on my field´s team sync with my Office PC OneDirve (for Businnes). And the Microsoft solutions is to add user for each one of this Smartphones?? How does Microsoft expect me to purchase 35 users on the Office for business in devices and users that won´t even use most of the softweares. Besides, it´s all in Microsoft, It´s all One drive.. Hpw can´t it comunicate. The only solution that I see right now is called Google Drive, or DropBox. GO back to 90´s!! Microsoft is not ready for our actual needs! I´ll have to migrate all my cloud BAck to Google! Sorry, you lost a client (a few actually), I don´t recomed OneDrive for business at all! It suposed to make my life easier.. not harder!

• Carlos Tejeda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To sync a OneDrive for Business shared folder with the desktop app go to Onedrive.com and log in to your business account, select Shared on the left panel, select click on Shared with me on top, click on the folder you want to sync on the computer to open it, then click on the Sync button on top.

It'll take a couple of seconds for the folder to start syncing and appear on file explorer.

• tomaski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LOL, 1,5 year later andd still nothing? All the other major players are already having this. How is MS planning on being competitive with such a BASIC functionality lacking? Am I supposed to be juggling URLs? How am I to access the shared resources from my smartphone?

The reason I moved from Gsuite to O365 is the bigger cloud storage for my business. Well, I now think I have wasted my money

• Timothy Irons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The link is broken.
    I had to select the "Classic View" icon in the bottom left of the shared folder on the website to get access to the sync button.
    This is cryptic beyond belief.

Just found this - am I right in thinking that the "sharing" option essentially creates a different folder elsewhere? I have my local OD folder and then a shared folder in C:\Users\%username% which is the shared sync folder?

I had this working before, and have been asked to check it's still working, as remote users (those that have folders shared to them) have been putting files into the folders and nothing is happening.

So I installed a test copy of a remote workers OD and yep, it's a snapshot isn't it? There's no realtime sync to speak of. Create new files/folders in either side and wait.......and wait....nothing doing.

It's not working.

I'm moving to a proven system - it's too much of a headache to keep trying with this clunky software

• Denice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes but the whole point is to have seemless sharing not via sharepoint. The sharepoint programme is cumbersum and difficult to use. Try attaching a document to an email via sharepoint and you immediately run into problems

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base