OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be aware of the behavior that [Site] is not reflected sometimes when following the [SharePoint team site] on One Drive.

Be aware of the behavior that [Site] is not reflected sometimes when following the [SharePoint team site] on One Drive.

I would like to inform you about the inappropriate behavior. Specifically, the [Site] is not reflected on the screen when followed the [SharePoint team site] accessed by the browser.(even after 24 hours)
    I have confirmed the workaround to avoid this event that I unfollowed the [site] once by the browser and follow it again, then it displays on the screen via One Drive APP, but it is not an actual solution to the problem of browser operations.

I hope the feature…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shared Computers in Education - Online Only, No Sync

Universities provide 1000s of shared computers for staff and students;
    - open access rooms for students
    - meeting room PCs, etc for staff
    Universities have Office 365, but cannot use OneDrive on shared computers because it creates a local replica. This is simply unsuitable for shared computers.

Universities often have high speed, low latency Internet access. Rather than syncing to have a local replica of OneDrive, OneDrive should connect to OneDrive, in a similar way to "Map Network Drive".

There should be no local replica *whatsoever" (even of placeholders). Instead, when users select OneDrive, it connects to their online OneDrive…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow a secure automatic external full OneDrive backup

I am a heavy OneDrive user. I've got 3 PCs, 1 surface and a few phones with 180+ GB of data. Everything seem to work well but I fear someday some files might be lost due to a bad manipulation.

Imagine a friend of yours deletes an important folder? Imagine OneDrive fails to keep some files intact?

I would like a solution to get a automatic FULL backup of my OneDrive storage.

By FULL I mean all files, including OneNote files and hidden files like Phones backup and 'synced settings'.

The best would be a ZIP file with everything in…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add an option to download folders, groups of folders or individual files from the cloud.

As this is cloud-based, why don't you allow an option to download folders, groups of folders or individual files from the cloud? With the cloud storage accessible on multiple cross-platform devices, a user may only want a few images or to select a folder or multiple folders to download to a device versus syncing “everything”. Unless I have just missed this already existing feature? Which is TOTALLY possible!

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow opening the Office file by [Open in Office Online] function via mobile devices or local PC.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    ローカル PC のストレージや、タブレット端末内の Office 関連ドキュメントを開く際に [Office Online で開く] 機能を追加してほしい。

Allow opening the Office file by [Open in Office Online] function via mobile devices or local PC.
    ■Description(内容):
    ローカル PC に保存されている Office 関連ドキュメントや、モバイル端末の OneDrive アプリの [自分と共有] 内のファイルを開く際に、[Office Online で開く] 機能を追加してほしい。​
    必ずしも Office クライアントアプリの利用を必要としないサブスクリプションの場合でも、ファイルをブラウザーで閲覧,編集する際の工数を削減できるような機能を実装してほしい。

We are aware of that the [Open in Office Online] function is only available for the user with a subscription whose service is covered the Office Client Apps.

I would like you to extend the feature that allows the users to easily open/edit the files by the browser even their subscription does not…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. initial sync of large libraries extremely slow

You need to seriously work on the performance when doing an initial sync of large libraries with many files. I have a photo library with approx. 250 GB worth of photos, and after trying to sync these libraries (<year>,<month>,<description>) for almost two weeks, I had to give up. Your sync engine is just not capable. Went back to DropBox, and no issues at all. Sure, it took some time to do, but no technical issues.

After researching quite a bit, I can see that I am not the only one with this problem. This is a serious show stopper.

Other…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Long file names

Need a view settings that shows long file and folder names. Could have multiple lines of text per file or folder.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add color tags to files

I suggest to add possibility to filter files by color tags. Some kind of idea is already used in Mac OS X. Please see attached file. It is possible to search for files with the same color tags.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 'Favorite' folders in onedrive app

I have most of my personal and work files in onedrive, so I have a complicated folder structure.

Please add the ability within the app to 'pin' or 'favorite' certain folders or files to the onedrive app launch screen for quick access.

Thanks!

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Text editor

Add an online text editor and for cross device support an editor app. If possible with some features like syntax highlighting, search, replace(also regex) and (a lightweight version of) IntelliSense.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Save video playback position

It would be nice if the media player in OneDrive could save playback position of video files. I use it alot for syncing certification videos across my different devices and would love if I could pick up where I left off.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create an easy way to delete older (previous) versions of documents

I like that OneDrive automatically retains version history for a document. This comes in handy when multiple team members are collaborating on, say, a Word document. However, once the document is "complete" all of the previous (older) versions remain using up allowable OneDrive space. It would be nice if there was an easy way to delete previous versions of a document without deleting the current version.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. copy here

The "Copy to" functionality permanently request the user to go through to the destination path. A quick enhancement of the function would be to add the option "here" and not only "active Library" => this is gain of time and UX.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Hide certain folders on certain devices

Instead of making every folder viewable on every device (some of which you may want to hide for privacy reasons), customize which folders you want to be viewable from which devices. For example, be able to hide a folder of photos on a shared Xbox One.

[submitted on behalf of a customer]

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. File versioning for non-Office documents

The only thing stopping me from switching to OneDrive from Dropbox is the lack of file versioning for non-Office files. Please add this!

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Upload progress

Instead of KB, % should be displayed during upload process.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Implement OneDrive <-> OneNote cross referencing

I am working together with a group of 10 friends on a collaborating project and for that we extensively make use of OneNote and OneDrive.

What bothers us is that you cannot directly refference a shared OneDrive Folder/File in OneNote and vice versa. One has to create a specific shared link and copy that into OneNote.

It would be great if there would be an option like with sharing event notes of a calendar event with a group of people in a shared OneNote Notebook. This works wonderful and would be great to have between OneNote & OneDrive as well.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Delete files on upload

There should be an option to delete the pictures or files locally once they have been uploaded freeing up space on the device automatically.

Why does the app need location access for background uploads. Doesn't make sense.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Give a feature to import data from other cloud Storage

This can be helpful for users as it can easily allow them to switch to OneDrive from google drive/dropbox/iCloud.

1.I don't want to download all files and photos first and then sync with OneDrive. It should automatically fetch data if given the url

2.Or linking of different accounts such as dropbox/google drive account with onedrive. It should allow users to easily switch from google drive atleast which is currently most popular service and is not as good as OneDrive.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Family Album auto-upload

Right now if me and another person in my family want to upload all of our photos automatically to a single Photo album we have to use the same Microsoft Account. Please add a way to allow different people to auto-upload to a "Family" album automatically. Without this you either have to share an account or everyone has their own separate albums.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base