OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Archive

This forum has been closed but you can go to https://onedrive.uservoice.com to find, submit and vote on ideas.

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service" and "your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product. You can shake your mobile app or tap the ? then select “Email OneDrive support” from the website.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ability to sync Office templates through OneDrive

Allows office document templates sync through onedrive

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Increase Download Performance

Windows Phone users automatically uploaded their videos taken to OneDrive. However ability to stream or download the videos is terribly slow. Streaming incurs unbearable amounts of buffering, and download is painfully slow.

Embarrassing when you are sharing videos with guests on Xbox or PC and the end to end Microsoft experience can't deliver.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Full functional parity with all desktop and mobile operating systems.

Microsoft has focused too much on forcing people to Windows. You need to realize that your customers use iOS, Macs, Android etc. All of these operating systems should have the same functionality that Windows gets. This includes Outlook for Mac getting OneDrive integration, full sharing capabilities for the iPad etc. If you want businesses to use OneDrive its going to need to live in a non-Windows world and compete with the Dropboxes of the world.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Offline Sync for OneDrive Business Mobile

Not just selective sync, but the ability to automatically sync files and/or directories offline on a mobile device. This would allow businesses to roll out materials to remote people (sales materials or whatever) and be available even if they are offline or in remote areas.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Corporate file shares replaced with One Drive for Business?

Is it possible to create the equivalent of a network file share on One Drive for Business?

We would be interested in knowing if we could replace our on-premise file servers with One Drive for Business.

Create shared directories? Notify user/owners when changes added to the folders?

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add auto-backup of file changes on an adjustable basis

Applies to OneDrive in general rather than a client.

The biggest thing that OneDrive is really missing from my perspective is automatic backups. I recently lost due to a bug a OneNote page and there is no getting it back. Period. If OneDrive had regular backups of all differences made in files it would act as my one storage place AND my backup and storage for me would be done for good. I could have simply gotten on and reverted my notebook to yesterday's version and, bang--three months of lost work would've been back (I would've been fine exchanging it…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable Context Aware Access Management for the Onedrive for Business client

Currently Onedrive can sync to any device regardless the health/security state of the device (up to date virusscanner, pin/password protected device logon etc.)

We would like to have the option that the Onedrive for Business client can only sync towards "trusted" devices (e.g. leverage Workplace Join) without blocking access to regular Sharepoint from untrusted devices.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    tell us more  ·  3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow comments on shared/public photos

I link my OneDrive albums to my blog so public can click and view. They have expressed a desire to leave comments on certain photos and cannot.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    tell us more  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fake sync folder

Allow a user to set up a folder on their profile that has a bunch of pointers (or shortcuts) to their files that are being stored in their OneDrive, and when a user clicks on that file THEN it will sync/download it to their machine.

Essentially a way for users to see their onedrive library from their machine (not web browser) WITHOUT having to actually sync their entire library (which could fill their HD.)

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enforce PIN/Password on device when onedrive pro is synced

When a user syncs business data on their phone or tablet, via the app, the app should ensure that the PIN/Password is activated on the device. Otherwise, if the device is lost, anyone can access the locally cached data, and potentially access confidential business files.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a part of a broader mobile device management capability we are looking to deliver for businesses.

Also as a side note – as a part of our most recent Android app update we enabled support for users to set up a PIN. Simply create a 4 digit code, and you can limit access to the app and your files.

13. View (and possibly change/update) photo comments on mobile

Showing the photo comments would especially give greater value when sharing photos/folders.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Show file names with spaces

I am using the onedrive android app to connect to my onedrive for business. The synced folders only show any characters up until the first space in the folder name and nothing more after that...?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. calculate file/folder name length the same way SharePoint online does

i believe SPO calculates folder/file names using a space = 1 character. onedrive for business sync app however calculates based on space = %20 = 3 characters. this results in *valid* files/folders from preventing the sync of the entire OD4B folder to a pc, even though there is nothing invalid.
    additionally, if this isn't fixed, you should return a full list of the offending files and perhaps offer to convert the space characters to _ or something to automatically resolve the issue.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  OneDrive for Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Have a way to easily share/add/remove a subset of files from a folder without creating copies.

Very often I share only a subset of files to my family, i end up creating a new folder and adding those files there and end up using space. Give an easy way to select multiple files (i think you do this) within a folder, then give ability to add or remove pics to that picture stream and share that to family.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow Browsing and Fetching Files from ANY connected Device

There used to be a feature called "Fetch my files" which disappeared with Windows 8.1

Please bring it back by allowing me to select not only "One Drive" and "This PC" from the drop-down in the Modern app, but allow me to select any of my other connected PCs (connected via the same Microsoft ID). I should be able to grab a file from any of them, no matter where I am in the world, as long as the other device is on and available.

You get a similar function from the "HomeGroup" node in File Explorer on Desktop, but…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Fix the network access from a corporate environment

Playing with OneDrive for Business now, and man is it clunky in a business environment!

The URL list to get to Office 365 (and OneDrive for Business) is huge. And random: some .jp, some .uk, why? I have no resources in those countries (I'm in Australia).
    Worse, The URL list is the same as the consumer URL list. That's plain crazy!

Many businesses (including ours) actively block those consumer URLS, as a way of blocking corporate staff from accessing private email and web resources. It's a data leakage and security thing. You know - as implemented in most Corporate environments.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Modify OneDrive for Business to do Metadata Sync

Allow OneDrive for Business to behave the same way as OneDrive: ie, download all metadata first and don't necessarily do a full sync on a new machine. That way you can be up and running more quickly on a new box.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Integrate photosynth player

Enable to view synths directly on onedrive.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

OneDrive Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base