OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive app on Android?

Store OneDrive offline files on SD card on Samsung devices

-adjusted the title-

Ryan, there is a separate topic where you said this was working, it's NOT for any Samsung users and probably others!

You seem to be ignoring that thread, titled,'Allow OneDrive app on Android to be moved to SD card including storing offline files'.

Could you please comment here, or at least back in the other topic, so all of us still actively using it get some feedback as to your progress on solving the problem on the most widely used mobile platform in the world (yes there are more Samsungs than iPhones)?

I am attaching the threads from just the 1st page of threads from that other topic. Jeff

277 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jeff Weiss shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We shipped support for installing the OneDrive app on an SD card, but any files taken offline still go to internal storage. We do have plan to enable offline files to be stored on SD card. I’ll update status as we get further along.

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brad Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, you have got to catch up. We are in a multi-device universe now where our mobile devices are just as important (sometimes moreso) as our desktops and laptops. Your competition is onto this while you seem to be trying very hard, succeeding in places, but missing some very obvious flaws such as this one that results in much of the goodwill you've amassed to be negated. It's a shame.

The general issue that this thread relates to of being unable to meaningfully synchronise files onto expandable storage and then use them offline (just as you can do on a Windows desktop) has been ongoing for YEARS, is one of the most voted requests, is discussed in multiple threads, has had many of your loyal customers literally BEGGING you to resolve it, and yet.... And yet.... You don't even show respect for that loyalty by responding to these threads with even an acknowledgement that you understand the issue.

I'd love to see a senior product manager (not a program manager) participate in these forums and give us a detailed idea about what is in the pipeline. You might be surprised at just how helpful we will all be in giving you a wealth of feedback about how this functionality could best work.

• Doc Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ryan
    I have an android with limited internal storage space. One Drive storage space keeps get ting bigger even though I have some space Left on the cloud. I need to free up space immediately. Been searching on line for a simple explanation why and is it safe for me to clear up space the space without being punished by it deleting useful stuff like my touchpal just did? Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dunno if it's a Samsung thing or a Microsoft thing, but the preinstalled version of oneDrive, which comes on Samsung devices cannot be moved to external SD card :(

Internal 64GB
    External 400GB

Come on!!!!

This cannot be hard to fix! Please either one of you pick up the phone, or write an email to make this happen!

On Office 365 Business and have S10 + tab S4, so many of us are suffering here!!!

• Javi Tzso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Installed OneDrive v5.9 from APKMirror on Samsung S9+. Moves the app to SD Card, but offline files are still stored internally. I hope the files will be accessible through "My Files" and that Samsung Music will be able to see them. If not, I am done with MSFT and cancelling my 365 sub.

• Patrick Mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would seem Google Drive and Dropbox have the same issues with storage of local files to the SD card.

Does anyone know of an app that stores downloaded data to the SD card as MS cannot solve this problem

MS - we need to have offline files stored on SD card. Give your customers what they want please.

• Jeff Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ryan, 2/1/2019 you said you have a plan to enable offline files to be stored on SD card and not internal as well. PLEASE give us an update on the progress of that. It's almost June of 2019 and this issue has gone on for over 2 years! Please let us know hen this technology will be available or give us an update on the progress. Jeff

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft. This should be a feature available years ago. I'm a business user with no ability to check files on my phone.

• Omid Shojaee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many apps such as Google Play Music and Spotify are able to store files on external storage and both work on Samsung.

• Frederick Reinders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Version 5.30 last updated April 21, 2019 does NOT have an SD Card storage option

Apparently OneDrive Android 5.90 has this feature. Are there any plans to make One Drive Android 5.90 available to Android devices?

There were news stories in early 2018 announcing the release of OneDrive Android 5.90 Apr 18, 2018 available in the Google Playstore. What happened?

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long must we wait. A massive SD card in my mobile to put all my OneDrive data but no can do. Strange way to run a service.
    Keep getting updates for OneDrive and each time I hope, but disappointed every time.
    Also in the APP under settings there is never an update then selecting- what's new, of anything new, despite the promise that new features will be shown here.

• Sy Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this function real badly... any update on at least a time frame for this?

• Ash Wolford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't even find a way to install onedrive to SD, before offline files even become a concern. There's no option for it anywhere.

• Nigel Dyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SD card for one Drive would be very much appreciated. Support may have been shipped on 1st Feb, but as if 16th Feb it is not an option on my Android phone. It is probably not possible to store the App on the SD card as this stops the widgets from working, but it should be possible to use the SD card for file storage. I have a number of other apps that do this just fine.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base