OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive app on Android?

Folder Sync: What's the point of the "User Voice" website if the devs are just going to ignore our suggestions?

Hello there,

So over a year ago I suggested a new feature for the OneDrive app.

Here is the link: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/913516-onedrive-on-android/suggestions/20587369-folder-sync

The idea/suggestion got an overwhelming amount of votes: over 7,300 in a year, which means that quite a lot of users agreed with it and wanted the feature to be included in the OneDrive app.

After just a month, one of the admins responded "We understand the request and will think about it."

We were so excited! But then, after 10 months of waiting for such basic yet important feature to be implemented, we got the this response:

"Allow arbitrary syncing of non photo local folders to OneDrive storage locations, We have no plans to bring this type of capability to Android devices."

Like seriously? What's the point of the "User Voice" website if after an overwhelming amount of votes, the devs just gonna ignore it? Like really? A top voted idea just ignored?

Currently, the OneDrive app is basically a dumb photo backup app. Why would we use an app that just backup photos when we have several others that do a better job at it: for example Photos by Google. You can upload an unlimited amount of high quality photos and videos without worrying about the cloud storage. And if you want upload HD pictures and videos, you get 15 GB for free instead of the 5 GB offered by OneDrive.

The feature I suggested would add something that would make the OneDrive app even more useful and would make it standout above all other cloud storage apps. So instead of just being another photo backup app that is inferior to Dropbox, Google Photos/Drive and many more, it would add an extra functionality that would push your competitors to play catch up with OneDrive. But you decided to ignore it...

Adding the ability to automatically backup ALL types of files (not just photos) within a folder would be huge because it would work exactly as the Desktop version of the app, where it automatically syncs all files you put in the OneDrive folder, not just photos.

There are literally over a million users who are PAYING third party devs to be able to have this feature with OneDrive, DropBox and Google Drive because none of them offer it. I'M NOT KIDDING, MILLIONS. Want to confirm it?

Just check the download count of the following apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.lite

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.drivesync

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.onesyncv2

If you did the math correctly, over 2.1 million users have downloaded those 4 apps that just have one purpose: sync all type of files in a folder selected by the user. And yeah, you need the paid version of those apps if you have more than X amount of files, otherwise it won't work.

So if over 2.1 million users are paying for the feature I suggested and over 7,300 users here voted for this feature, why push it away? Why ignore the suggestion if it's clear that your users want it? Please think about it and stop ignoring your users.

Best regards,
R

627 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    R shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jacobo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

definitivamente es una función que se esta esperando yo también la sugerí hace mucho tiempo solo que en español a mi ni me contestaron a pesar de los miles votos recibidos a microsoft le va pasar lo mismo que apple va a artar a sus usuarios y para cuando reaccionen sera muy tarde

• Валерий Богданов commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have written 7 or 8 pages of possible improvements of OneDrive with screenshots and so on... and have sent it to Microsoft Support. Do you wanna know what these guys have replied to me? "We are not responsible for the improvements. Plaese go to the UserVoice." I just can`t imagine the anwsers like that from Samsung, from Google and so on. It showed me, that the people just don`t want to improve their product. These guys CAN forward my mail, but they just don`t wanna. That`s why I switch next year to "Google One". Microsoft, you just lose the markets!

• Anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be nice. I would be able to backup the entire contents of my phone to OneDrive.

• Lynda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

interesting post. im surprised that an idea with 7.322 votes got ditched. this says a lot about the devs

• Hufa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the last app from that list. I had to buy it because if your files are 10 MB or larger, you need the premium version. I use it to backup the contents of my phone. It's kinda buggy sometimes but it works.

Feedback and Knowledge Base