OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive mobile app on iOS?

Support to HEIF/HEVC Formats

Since iOS 11 starts to use HEIF/HEVC as the camera photo/video encoding format. Wish OneDrive could support these formats or convert it to JPEG/H264 before uploading.

Thanks

949 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HEIC Format works great in OneDrive on iOS, Web and Photos on Windows 10 for now.

However AutoTagging of pictures isn't working yet.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quote: "Real question is why would anyone shoot in a non-industry standard format?"

Have you seen the file sizes of 4K H.264 Video, and compared it to HEVC? Have you seen the size of higher Framerate 1080p/4K video in H.264 and compared it to HEVC? That's why.

Because these are connected devices, and we share things like video and photos all the time. Modern hardware has Hardware Accelerated Encoding and Decoding of HEVC. It makes sense to shoot and share in HEVC/HEIC, unless the other person has a pretty old computer. The file sizes are much smaller, but the quality of the Photos and Videos are the same if not better than H.264 and JPEG.

You cannot shoot in the highest framerates on iOS without HEVC turned on. There are some shooting modes that are completely locked out to you without it.

Some of us bought the newest iPhone specifically for these shooting modes, and being able to easily offload to a PC (transparently) is helpful for loading them up in software like Dartfish on a desktop.

Not sure why clueless people feel the need to harp on about "Industry Standard," when they really don't know what they're talking about.

HEVC and HEIC are pretty much industry standard, they just haven't had a huge uptick in adoption because they're newer.

If people said the same thing about H.264 when we were all using MPEG-2 and moving to HD Video media... we'd all be stuck in the stone age.

• Ted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apple have now updated iOS so you no longer have the JPG format option. This means video uploads for Onedrive from iOS have now stopped completely!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, this is huge. I cannot delete photos from iPhone as it will delete the same photos on all my iCloud devices. And now I cannot backup to OneDrive anymore as OneDrive does not recognize HEIC files. I'm at a complete standstill.

• Florent Zbinden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need a native support for HEIF. It's spreading quickly and everyone with an iPhone will be expecting to store the photos without compromising the quality, at least I do. Need also the default phot app in Windows to support this.

Have you got a date for this, or at least a rough one? Not supporting these files is becoming increasingly annoying and I am seriously considering moving to Dropbox because of it.

• Don Mei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears that on the fly conversion of photos is happening. However, movies confuse me. They won't play in a browser'd preview on onedrive.com. However they do play in media player once they replicate to the PC and show in the folder as .mov files.

Do haic movies have a different suffix from .mov?

• TubaOrNotTuba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Real question is why would anyone shoot in a non-industry standard format? Honestly, the first thing I did in iOS 11 was make sure my iPhone was using industry standard formats. I really don't care what Apple thinks, heic is a junk format until 100% of all devices on the planet support it. .jpg is the industry standard format. Period. I don't care if Microsoft ever supports it. They have far more fish to fry for other OneDrive issues than this.

• Mauricio Perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please just make my photos available to view in one drive. Do what ever you need. This is really urgent.

• Scott Dart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A workaround for this until Microsoft gets around to adding the on-the-fly conversion for video like it did with pictures::

Settings -> Camera -> Formats

Change this from "High-Efficiency" to "Most Compatible" and most of your videos will upload to OneDrive without issue.(4K and fast-rate 1080p excepted)

• Scott Dart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently, in Settings -> Camera -> Formats, selecting "Most Compatible" will preserve most videos in a format that OneDrive currently can do. I hope the developers add "video conversion on-the-fly" just like they have "photo conversion on-the-fly."

Then Office 365 will regain its position as my cloud ecosystem of choice.

Why is this only a plan right now, other cloud storage providers had this working within the first week of iOS 11 being released?

Ok I think this a problem happening months ago... if u don’t fix it in a few days, I’m moving to Dropbox or something, it’s not fare to us if we’re paying for more storage on OneDrive

This is happening to me too but with some videos!!! Please help, I uploaded other videos and I can watch them without problem, but 4 or 5 specific videos I can’t watch them on my drive.

• Guitarhero2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great that including.heic are “in the plans” so quick BUT we have been asking for raw support for years and years now so we can view thumbnails.

This is stopping thousands of people would take photographs paying Microsoft for storage.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base