OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive mobile app on iOS?

File Renaming

This latest version of OneDrive for iPad has robbed users of the ability to rename a file or folder by just adjusting a character or number in the existing title. E.g. by adjusting a date or adding an additional letter. You now have to type out the new title in full every time.
This is a retrograde step and will cause many users much frustration.

71 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michelle Wedding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this is a total lack of forethought of Microsoft. I have been using Dropbox and Google Drive for many years with great ease in uploading and renaming files from my emails via iPhone which is very efficient. Come on Microsoft, please update this function.

• Frank Cincotta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When receiving scanned files by email often they are not named correctly or by someone elses naming scheme. These files can be saved to a selected One Drive folder; however, the file can not be remamed. This funtion is available in Dropbox and Google Drive for IOS. I stopped using One Drive as my only cloud drive for this reeason since I use both an iPhone and iPad to recieve and file documents when I am not at a computer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major problem for me a I frequently have to track files by minor adjustments to their existing file name. I hope this has just been an oversight and Microsoft is quickly working out the solution.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reported this as a bug to Microsoft OneDrive support and was told that these issues were fixed in 10.2.3 for iOS. By fixed I now presume they mean that the current functionality is now how it works. Another unfortunate misunderstanding by software engineers of how people who actually use software actually work.

• Wayne Majors commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Irritating! Time wasting! We also can no longer highlight and select a file name and copy it to use as a template for new files.

• D Hodges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar problem on Windows. If you click the filename to modify it highlights the whole filename repeatedly so you can't just edit in place. Also at times in some apps like Quickbooks if you save as pdf, then click an existing file to modify the name, cursor jumps back to first character so you have to manually type the whole filename manually. Both problems seem to be intermittent like Onedrive is scanning for changes at that moment maybe because you are interacting with a file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base