OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive mobile app on iOS?

Improve the PDF annotation experience on iOS

-updated title -

The annotation / editing toolbar used to be blue, movable, and convenient. Now it looks like it came straight out of Windows 95 and has very limited functionality; e.g. you can no longer create two parallel pens and switch between them. Especially on the iPad Pro this is a huge loss and I don't see how this is a change for the better. Please bring the modern toolbar back!

1,170 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Leo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear the feedback and working hard to address and improve our PDF annotation editing experience.

We’ve made several updates to the PDF experience the last 3 months. Including:

-Saving pen style preferences
-Apple Pencil usability updates
-Toolbar UI update
-improved eraser
-Free text annotations
-Saving the position in a PDF

The team is continuing to work on improvements to our PDF annotation experience and are working on a UI refresh we plan to roll out in the coming months. I’m resolving this one for now, but if there are other specific requests in this area please open new suggestions.

139 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring it back to around version 34.xx ! You cannot even compare the two -

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love the ability to change the size of the eraser!

• Tao Large commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agreed. I never used the older version, but text annotation since I began using the app this winter has been very challenging and buggy to the point that I avoid keeping PDFs I need to annotate in OneDrive whenever possible, and remains so, despite the issue being marked as resolved.

Annotating PDFs has been nearly unusable (latest 12 in iPad Pro), as the feature is choppy and leaves text looking jagged and messy (especially with a thin pen width), with very distracting latency and a very slow-to-use UI that makes switching pens a challenge. Smoother drawing and a UI that presents multiple pens/tools at once (like the drawing UI in OneNote and the other Office apps) would be extremely useful in resolving the issues. I use OneDrive to store just about all of my files now, but unusable PDF annotation is by far the greatest pain point, to the point that it seems necessary to look for other apps to serve that one purpose. Please consider implementing the same UI and smoothness as the MS Office suite apps! A freehand highlighting tool, as implemented in those apps, would also be very helpful, as would being able to see all tools on screen at once rather than requiring clunky hamburger-style nested menus that may look less cluttered but really slow down the annotation process.

Another suggestion mirroring this suggestion has far fewer votes so far, but the issue seems to be exactly the same (https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/913519-onedrive-on-ios/suggestions/35867293-pdf-tool)

• James Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dark blue signature. PLEASE. Light blue looks like my mom just dropped me off at kindergarten and I stole one of my dad's contracts. PLEASE return the ability to sign a pdf with Dark Blue ink. Thank you.

• Haco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this finally going to be corrected? Can no longer make comments or highlights on a pdf with apple pencil. Will need to switch to alternative if not corrected very soon.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo many of the comments. One additional frustration is that manual edits using Apple Pencil on my IPad Pro “fade”. That is...part of a letter tend to fade away. It’s only noticeable after you reopen the document. In many cases the original comment is not readable.

The previous editing tool was much better....it’s like Microsoft is forcing users to a different platform.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a joke...you’ve finally forced me to leave OneDrive once the best annotation experience now nearly useless.

• JT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not done — no where near. So far to go to get back to the original tool. Please reassure us that you are not done. Why would ms do this ?

I want to echo some of the comments on this topic. The handwriting experience has (for some reason) deteriorated. Not as sensitive as it was, even with using the Apple Pencil. I relied extensively on annotating pdfs for my research. It’s now painful!

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Marking this issue as fixed is joke. I have an IPad Pro and since that update last fall I can no longer annotate with the pencil. The annotation bar is just missing. This was raised by another user below who mentioned that he only saw the annotation bar on his IPhone not on his IPad. This is so clear: onedrive had a great feature which worked for many people and Microsoft chose to take it down where it was most useful (on the IPad) and replace it with a ****** feature on the IPhone. I guess this way they hope people will buy ****** Microsoft tablets and 2 in 1. So why pretend « we hear the feedback and working hard to address » ? Nothing has been done ! Just admit it : we chose to be evil. And assume the consequences. So shame on you Microsoft for choosing to be evil and shame on you Ryan for lying right into people’s faces.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? You're marking this as done? You've barely improved anything! Why not just tell us all "*********, we don't care about customer feedback" and be done with it?

-Eraser still deletes entire words for annotations not made in the same session
    -Eraser is way too large, and there is no outline for it to know what you're erasing until it's done
    -handwriting is still like my pre-schooler's, pen is no longer as precise as it was
    -scrolling through a PDF is choppy when using annotation
    -UI is still ridiculously clunky and looks like Windows 95
    -Highlighter only works for recognized text, no free-hand highlighting is possible
    -Annotations are no longer recognized by other programs, including Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft received clear, immediate feedback from its users that this update was unwanted and ruined its product used by students, industry professionals, and individuals alike. By marking this complete without substantial changes addressing the issues, you've made it clear that Microsoft places no priority on what your customer base actually wants.

My team and I have used Onedrive because it used to be the most user friendly platform for reviewing drawings and specifications in the field, making markups, and recording as-builts. Clearly Microsoft does not intend to actually fix this product, so like others in this thread we will find another solution.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft is really working on this, why isn't there an update?! Just roll this back! Even with the latest updates, it looks like a kid's handwriting, the eraser deletes entire words, what is going on at Microsoft?!

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I loved the previous version of this. It was by far the best .pdf markup experience in any drive (onedrive/dropbox/box/google). Please return previous functionality

I still can't use the annotation tool bar. Doesn't show up. Works on an older version of the app on one of my iPads that I refuse to update so I can continue to annotate PDFs.

Kinda works on my iPhone but who wants to edit a PDF on a phone when you have a pad? PLEASE FIX!!!

I would like to have the option of opening multiple tabs within the pdf in onedrive. PDFexpert provides that capability and I was wondering if onedrive is going to allow me to do that in future

• Larsen Günther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all below, I am using a 3rd party tool now to annotate. Apple Pencil does such a poor writing, this really seems to be a tactical product decision.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These updates and "fixes" are literally a joke. It seems each one limits PDF editing more and more. We have lost nearly ALL ability to annotate PDF's from the Onedrive App. Our company just fully migrated to utilizing Office 365 and Onedrive. We have all surfaces in the office but MUST use iPads in the fields, now we are borderline crippled and have to use a 3rd party app for all our PDF's. Come on Microsoft, try giving a darn about your customers.

• Ehab Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the annotation, the zooming in and out is very slow and sometimes the application closes.

• Nm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People use your brain, there is only one explanation to what is going on here with the onedrive pdf annotation tool on the iPAD. Microsoft does not want you to use iPADs, they rather wants you to use their new Surface machines, hence they purposely sabotaged the onedrive pdf annotation tool on the iPAD. There is simply NO OTHER EXPLANATION. The onedrive pdf annotation tool has been SABOTAGED, there is no question about it. From an excellent tool it became a horrible tool. Do you think the Microsoft team working on this tool does not know it? do you think they are idiots? the entire Microsoft team working on this tool would have been fired in a second for destroying this tool as they did, if this was not PURPOSEFUL. Remember my words, this tool will not get fixed. This is a purposeful sabotage to sway you away from Apple iPAD toward the Microsoft surface machines.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base