OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable differential sync (only sync parts of the files that changed)

Today OneDrive implements differential sync only for Office files (that is, syncing only the changes made to the file, instead of the entire file). It would be a significant improvement for this capability to work against any files in OneDrive - so smaller changes to a file would result in less data needing to be transmitted, meaning less time to sync changes back and forth, and more efficient use of network bandwidth.

6,960 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      172 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Syncing over LAN

This would allow multiple PCs / Devices with the same OneDrive account to sync over the local LAN network. This makes a huge difference when setting a new PC (or restoring one) as you can transfer 100's of gigs over the LAN much faster and without impacting your Internet bandwidth cap.

5,072 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        270 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ll consider this in the future. Right now it’s not high on our backlog (just being transparent).

• Make OneDrive 64 bit!

Make Onedrive 64 bit! Simple as that! 32 bit Onedrive process on 64 bit OS in 2016 is simply unacceptable!

2,252 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          56 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Enable syncing of files across O365 organizations

Many customers wan't the option to collaborate with OneDrive cross o365 organization, and have the option to sync the shared files with OneDrive. Right now you are only able to sync files shared within your own o365 organization. Right now the only option is to browse to the shared link and access the files. Trying to use "sync" will result in an error in OneDrive (next gen sync client) as shown in attached file.

2,147 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            138 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Files on demand, automatic cleanup

When using files on demand over time, OneDrive will start to sync a lot of files which after some time will become inactive. Today the user would have to right-click the OneDrive-folder and select Clean up in order to stop the sync of these files and delete the local files stored on the user's device.

I propose a new optional feature. When files or folders have been inactive for a period of time (say 30 days) I would like OneDrive to automatically clean up, deleting the locally stored files and folders but still keeping them in the cloud.

It should…

2,062 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              65 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Enable sync client to allow editable synching of team sites with mandatory metadata columns

As at 23rd Jan 2017 the newly relased One Drive for Business synch client enables synching of Team sites BUT if any libraries have mandatory meta data or require check out, the synched folder/library is read only. This cripples collaboration by teams on documents. This needs to be fixed

1,540 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                100 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Reassess the possibility to ignore or exclude selected OneDrive folders and files from the sync process.

It would be great to be able to ignore or exclude selected files and folders within the OneDrive folder from syncing. It has been requested a few times before and solves user problems in a variety of areas: from software developers having problems with temporary build files and node_modules folders, through users who want to ignore sync problems (or issues like waiting days for a file to upload on a slow connection) by ignoring files in sync, to users who want to ignore files and folders created by applications, especially photo applications. There are many use cases where this feature…

1,094 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  49 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Enable sync client (NGSC) to allow editable syncing of document libraries with secondary versions turned on

Comparable to the described problems in this post https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/17864110-enable-sync-client-to-allow-editable-synching-of-t the NGSC is not able to sync libraries (neither SharePoint nor O365-Groups), that have secondary versions turned on. The synced files are write protected and can’t be edited by library owners or other write-permitted users.
                  This really restricts the possibilities in scenarios where companies use the secondary-versioning and publishing-to-full-version-feature to secure the presentation of content in document libraries and keep content-producers productive.

1,094 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    13 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add support for RDS and Azure RemoteApp

Please add support for RDS and Azure RemoteApp to the 'Next Gen' client. At least the following scenario's should be supported:

- RDS Session based Desktops
                    - RDS Sessoin based RemoteApps
                    - RDS VDI
                    - Azure RemoteApp

Both the User Profile disk and Roaming Profiles should be supported as storage solution within RDS and Azure RemoteApp. Since more customers are migrating to Office 365 the support for this client in RDS became more and more critical.

1,070 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      30 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re thinking about it, and our supported scenario available today is to use the Universal app or the website where users can access their data in OneDrive and Sharepoint without sync’ing all the files in advance. Don’t forget that Office natively supports opening and editing these files, too!

• Verrrrrrrrry Slow

OneDrive is pathetically slow with uploads. For at least the last two weeks, it's been closer to dial up speeds. It can take hours to upload 500 meg. Historically, I haven't seen uploads faster than very low broadband speeds. I have a decent broadband connection - can stream HD movies and do other things simultaneously. I'm truly sick of it. What's more amazing...I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER. I'm not just using the free version. I would expect slower speeds if I were only using the free version. But to pay money and get this, pitiful.

841 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        45 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow external OneDrive for Business users to sync folders

My users frequently want to share folders with external users (customers or partners) and are frustrated to find that these users can't sync the shared folders to their own filesystem. This functionality is widely used in competing solutions, and the limitation is significant enough to keep my users from leveraging OneDrive.

729 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          68 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow priority settings for files being uploaded

I'm currently uploading a high amount of data (I selected all the files I wanted and copied them to onedrive folder) and it's taking a lot of time. The problem is that some files are more important to me than others and I need them to be uploaded first. It would be great if I could make certain files/ folders that are being uploaded a priority so that those files with higher priority will be the first uploaded (for example, bittorent has this option when downloading files). It would take me a lot of time to cancel the upload and…

661 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            40 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add support for authenticated proxies

The OneDrive desktop client currently doesn't work on networks with authenticated proxies. This makes OneDrive useless in these kinds of environments.

564 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              36 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow OneDrive for Business folder to be renamed

The main OneDrive for Business folder cannot be renamed, apparently because the path for syncing would break.

This is limiting and becomes very confusing for employees when sharing files with colleagues, as SharePoint creates folders with the same name in the computers. People don't remember which is theirs and which is shared.

544 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                29 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • OneDrive sync for "Shared with you" files

Currently the sync engine only syncs your own OneDrive files/folders. If you want to view files that are shared with you, you have to go to the online interface. Please consider making the OneDrive sync support files/folders that appear under the "Shared with you" folder. It would be great if a user could choose which of the shared folders can be synced (so they're not syncing everything that was shared with them). It would also be nice if, when sharing a file, you can choose whether or not to allow the file to be synced to other user's OneDrive.

537 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  34 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Create a Linux OneDrive client please

I know this has been suggested before but the voting was closed.
                                  Many workplaces have a mixed deployment and would find it useful to sync across various platforms. I use Mac, Windows and Linux every day and I'm sure that many other professionals do too. It can't be that hard to recompile the OSX version for Linux, can it?

510 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    24 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Improve the feature of synchronizing more than 100,000 items on a stable basis for OneDrive.

I am aware of the behavior the restriction mentioned that the sync performance will possibly deteriorate when the stored items in the library exceed 100,000 items more. However, I need to operate this process frequently so that I wish the feature will be improved enables sync more than 100,000 items on a stable basis as soon as possible.

Although I have concerns about if the synchronization is going to be impossible to proceed unexpectly, but so as MS described as "We are working on optimization of OneDrive to improve processing of many Libraries." below the Reference information.

Title: Restrictions on…

465 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      16 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • "Refresh OneDrive" - Righ click Mouse option to prioritize File/Folder update Problem: I have several files changed during the week in o

Problem: I have several files changed during the week in one computer. During the weekend I use a different computer, but I want to work on a specific file/folder, but I have to wait OneDrive to update all different files before it gets to the file I want to use on that moment.
                                      This reduces my productivity drastically.

IDEA: Microsoft implement an Refresh button (Right_click where my file should be updated -> Refresh Onedrive). So, this action would prioritize Onedrive to download/upload the files at this folder. And keep the rest of the update for later.

Thank you!

422 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        39 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Sync overlay icons "ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" limit

There is a limit of 15 overlay icons in windows 10. Installing dropbox or google drive causes problems with sync overlay icons not appearing in onedrive (or vice versa). Why not make developers use the existing, microsoft sync overlay icons, rather than bringing their own? The 15 sync icons in "ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" would be sufficient if Microsoft required that any third party sync application such as dropbox or google drive used the same icons. After all, onedrive and dropbox both show exactly the same information in the icon overlays - synced, not synced, sync in progress and sync error.

259 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          25 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Prevent sleep until sync is done option

It would be nice to have an option to have OneDrive app prevent the computer to go to sleep until sync is done.

Typical situation is when you just added a large flie/folder to your computer and it will take time to upload. The computer is likely to go to sleep before sync is finished, and in consequence files are not online as fast as you might want. (and/or you can't just let your computer upload at night when bandwidth is not needed)

It would be nice to add an option to have OneDrive preventing computer to go to sleep…

246 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            20 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 136 137
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base