OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Send links that open in explorer

When you try to copy and paste a shared OneDrive file path to someone it will not work as the path references your local profile.

When you right click and share a file from windows explorer it gives you a HTTP link which only opens on the web

Add the ability to share a link that will open in Windows explorer

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pause Syncing with PowerShell

I would like a way to pause and unpause OneDrive syncing in PowerShell. This would be handy in PowerShell scripts that manipulate files. Sometimes the files get locked if OneDrive is currently syncing them. I would like to be able to script the pause, make my file changes, then unpause when my script is finished.

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OneDrive for Business - Please Enable Automatic Screenshot Saving. Why only for OneDrive Personal?

I like the feature where taking screenshots while working goes directly to Onedrive for Business. Currently, this feature is only available in OneDrive Personal. Otherwise, please make obvious on Microsoft OneDrive documents to enable screenshot auto-saving, this feature isn't available for OneDrive for Business!!!

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow subfolder exclusion without changing the default behavior of its parent folder

I use my OneDrive storage as my Documents library on multiple PCs, because this lets me sync data between apps that don't offer their own cloud storage solution. However, I need to exclude some files (like the graphics configuration files for several games, for example) as their content is specific to the machine I'm accessing them from. The issue is, if I manually exclude the directories where these files are, OneDrive treats the entire Documents folder as 'only sync manually selected folders' and any new folders I create by default are not synced. Please allow users to exclude certain files…

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    PC のシャットダウン時の同期の進行状況の表示について
    Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

■Description(内容):
    同期中の "処理中" の状態で、PC のシャットダウンをしようとすると、進行中のファイル アップロードがユーザーに通知されるように新機能が追加されておりますが、PC のシャットダウン時に操作なしに画面を戻らせることなく、シャットダウンを遂行する機能の追加を要望いたします。
    または、進行中のファイル アップロードをユーザーに通知する機能をオフにする機能の追加を要望いたします。

In current design, we have new feature to notify uses about on-going file uploading if users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.
    However, we would like to see the feature to allow PC to continue shutting down without any operation or getting back to the previous screen, or the feature to disable notification about on-going file uploading.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show file thumbnail (preview) on folder icons when OneDrive Files On-Demand is enabled

When OneDrive files on demand is enabled, the icons of OneDrive folders show icons of default apps with which files open instead of thumbnails for the files. For example, the Photos app icon is shown on the folder icon instead of a thumbnail showing a preview of the image, the Edge icon is shown instead of a thumbnail showing the first page of the PDF, etc. This also happens if I choose a file to show on the folder icon in Properties → Customize → Choose file, even if the folder is set to be available offline and all the…

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Progress info for on-demand sync

It would be more user-friendly to show current progress of on-demand folders sync. Currently it's only shown as "Processing changes" and popping up new files in the OneDrive pane. User doesn't know how fast is it going, how much files are left, when it will end. Having similar info as for classic sync would be nice.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multiple Accounts for OneDrive Personal - Windows 10

We have a Office 365 Home account which gives us each 1 TB of storage. Why am I unable to use the same home PC (when we do share) for OneDrive to sync her OneDrive and my OneDrive on the same PC?

Doesnt make much sense to not allow up to 5 accounts for onedrive personal to match Office 365 Home.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Do not show error messages for excluded filetypes

When I exclude filetypes from syncing (using Admin center or Set-SPOTenantSyncClientRestriction) they are marked as "file could not be synced". This is also shown by a red cross.

This behavior confuses Users that think that there is a real problem and furthermore makes it impossible for unqualified users to distinguished between this "by design" errors and real problems

So please do not show error messages for excluded filetypes or deliver an option for disabling these Error messages.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Map onedrive as network drive

it will be great to have the possibility to map onedrive as network drive to your PC

Which will help to save time and data in your PC, because as you Sync the files take times and also consumed your memory

I hope allow this feature ASAP

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix "Free Up Space" greyed out for Files On-Demand

With the "File On-Demand" settings activated, the option "Free up space" from the Windows Explorer contextual menu is grayed out on parent directories.
    However, it is available for individual files.

This happens if the "Free up space" has been already clicked once on a given directory. After adding files (locally available), the option is grayed out on this directory, although some children files are available locally (thus space not "freed up").

Steps to reproduce the error:

1/ Create a directory, e.g. OneDrive/test

2/ In this directory, create a file, e.g. OneDrive/test/file1.txt

3/ Wait for the OneDrive sync to end.

4/…

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Stop OneDrive restoring long deleted files

I know I'm launching into criticism here, but OneDrive has IMO a fundamental design flaw that just doesn't seem to occur with Google Drive or Dropbox. Basically, if you logon to a computer that you haven't logged onto for a long time (like months), OneDrive will restore long deleted files and/or end up with clashes suffixed with the name of the computer.

As I matter of course, I logon to new laptops for my client using my Office 365 account. I sync OneDrive to get to a whole host of deployment files. The user then takes the laptop away.

I…

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Offer a Powershell Module

I would like to be able to do common tasks like moving the OneDrive directory and "Make available offline" via powershell as part of automating my machine setup.

This would also involve a way to determine whether a file is still syncing or is already available offline (again, the gui (Explorer) can do this already).

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow external non-Office 365 Business users to sync OneDrive Shares

Please allow external users who don't have a OneDrive for Business account (i.e., users with a personal OneDrive account only) to sync shared folders to their local computers. We can already grant edit access to external, personal users, which works fine through a web browser. Also, external users with O365 business accounts can sync our shares. But the combination is not possible: external personal users can't sync. This is FORCING us to drop OneDrive and go back to DropBox, which supports this seamlessly even in their free service.

While better not to constrain the size/amount of syncable files based on…

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Colored File Folders in OneDrive

Simply allowing users to assign file folders to better organize things in groups or types of files. Simple idea that allows people to see their types of files without having to read a single word.

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make OneDrive Known Folder Move user based instead of machine based.

Since OneDrive is user oriented it makes more sense to be able to set certain GPO settings on a user level. One of these settings would be Known Folder Move (KFM). Currently the settings for KFM are set in HKLM\Software\Policies\OneDrive.

This makes it almost impossible to make this setting apply to users that don't have an existing folder redirection GPO in place (since the setting is set for the machine, and not the user).

In our environment we want to apply the KFM folder setting to users that don't have an existing folder redirection to their home-drive.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Need onedrive run as a service in windows server so that it would run even though you are sign out from the server

Need onedrive run as a service in windows server so that it would run even though you are sign out from the server

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Clear files on folder after unsynce.

It really great if it has option to clear all files in folder PC while users unsynce from server.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Auto Check-Out / Check-In file types that don't support Co-Authoring

It would be great if the OneDrive Sync Client could be instructed to Check-Out any file type that doesn't support native co-authoring (i.e. DWG). At the moment, checking out a file is a manual process that must be performed on the web. while this does prevent file conflicts as any other user is restricted to opening the file as Read Only, it becomes an untenable option when someone is opening up a large number of files simultaneously (i.e a CAD drawing with a bunch of xrefs).

This doesn't only impact AutoCAD of course, it would be a good option to…

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Unlock Personal Vault with Windows Hello

Please add Windows Hello support to Personal Vaults.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base