OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatically convert OneNote notebooks in a compatible format when user migrate to OneDrive

OneNote notebooks cannot be migrated to OneDrive without going through OneNote and without user action.
    The storage of OneNote notebooks as a folder and files is not supported on OneDrive. But with the Known Folders function, OneDrive move automatically these OneNote files to OneDrive and break the OneNote synchronization.
    Is it possible to obtain an automatic conversion of notebooks when KFM is executed or a way to automate the migration to OneDrive notebooks?

115 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Replace or enhance Upload and Download rate settings in OneDrive for Business with LEDBAT++ to optimize bandwidth usage.

Replace or enhance Upload and Download rate settings in OneDrive for Business with LEDBAT++. This will significantly optimize OneDrive traffic to save bandwidth when the network is constrained and will allow OneDrive to work more quickly when more bandwidth is available. This would ease initial implementations when large amounts of data are being uploaded and would reduce concerns with ongoing traffic from large files.

148 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Admin report of One Drive status across a network

There needs to be an admin console that will report on the status of One Drive for Business sync status across a network. Use case example:
    "I installed the “new” OneDrive Sync Client to about 1,000 systems today and enabled Known Folder Move. I want to be able to report on the sync status of those system" Currently there is only a PowerShell command but it doesn't work across the network to report on the status -- https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rodneyviana/2017/06/06/powershell-cmdlet-to-check-onedrive-for-business-or-onedrive-personal-status/ The Office 365 reports in the admin center also don't report on the status.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Verrrrrrrrry Slow

OneDrive is pathetically slow with uploads. For at least the last two weeks, it's been closer to dial up speeds. It can take hours to upload 500 meg. Historically, I haven't seen uploads faster than very low broadband speeds. I have a decent broadband connection - can stream HD movies and do other things simultaneously. I'm truly sick of it. What's more amazing...I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER. I'm not just using the free version. I would expect slower speeds if I were only using the free version. But to pay money and get this, pitiful.

1,111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    92 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Files on demand, automatic cleanup

When using files on demand over time, OneDrive will start to sync a lot of files which after some time will become inactive. Today the user would have to right-click the OneDrive-folder and select Clean up in order to stop the sync of these files and delete the local files stored on the user's device.

I propose a new optional feature. When files or folders have been inactive for a period of time (say 30 days) I would like OneDrive to automatically clean up, deleting the locally stored files and folders but still keeping them in the cloud.

It should…

2,283 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    75 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make it easier to obtain Excel file path from OneDrive

When referencing Excel files held on OneDrive with Power Query you need to download the Excel file, open it, copy the path and then remove ?web=1 from the end of it. It would be great if there was a right click or ... option when selecting an Excel file in OneDrive that would give you this path without the ?web=1 on the end.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Pause Syncing with PowerShell

I would like a way to pause and unpause OneDrive syncing in PowerShell. This would be handy in PowerShell scripts that manipulate files. Sometimes the files get locked if OneDrive is currently syncing them. I would like to be able to script the pause, make my file changes, then unpause when my script is finished.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. OneDrive for Business - Please Enable Automatic Screenshot Saving. Why only for OneDrive Personal?

I like the feature where taking screenshots while working goes directly to Onedrive for Business. Currently, this feature is only available in OneDrive Personal. Otherwise, please make obvious on Microsoft OneDrive documents to enable screenshot auto-saving, this feature isn't available for OneDrive for Business!!!

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Vacation Mode:

During vacation, I do not want to recieve data from my company (SharePoint libraries, (Team Sites, Groups, Microsoft Teams, OneDrive for Business). I only will sync OneDrive Consumer.

So I need a button, to switch off /on

Add: If you have a second tenant, I want to decide this for each tenat seperatly

Remarks: at this time you only switch On/off all together

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Extend support of KFM to Net Share location/File Server Share/

KFM was been introduced in the end of June.
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-OneDrive-Blog/Migrate-Your-Files-to-OneDrive-Easily-with-Known-Folder-Move/ba-p/207076

It's a great idea to helping enterprise to dealing with migration user's data into OneDrive. however, in case it's enterprise, tons of company already protected their user's data via redirect user's known folder like document(mainly) or desktop to file server share\nas devide. but so far KFM is saying that not support network location. think about that how many company are using file share/nas solution to managing user's known folder in tradition way(similar to romaing profile), support moving user' known folder from UNC/Network location will help tons of "us like" to…

135 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please increase the storage limits across the OneDrive for business subscription plans.

Free OneDrive personal accounts are allowed 5GB of storage, but the Office 365 F1 licenses (THAT OUR COMPANY PAYS FOR) are only allowed 2GB of storage. This is not enough space for most users. Please increase this storage limitation for your paying customers. At least increase it to the same amount that you provide to your non-paying customers.

Thank you.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Migrate more folders using Known Folder Move

A few weeks ago, you released this great feature you named Known Folder Move[1]. I find it awesome.

I think you should protect more of the user profile using it. Music and Video are great candidates (and already have OneDrive equivalents).

There are other folders I think would be interesting to move. They already have an OneDrive equivalent, but I don't know if any app uses them:
    * Favorites
    * 3d Objects
    * Saved Games

[1] https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-OneDrive-Blog/Migrate-Your-Files-to-OneDrive-Easily-with-Known-Folder-Move/ba-p/207076

129 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Label

As a OneDrive sync client user, I want to be able to use Labels instead of having to go to the online view document detail.

Unified labelling management in the Security & Compliance Center is available to configure Labels to support regulation like GDPR and start designing protection of information. Assuming you published Labels and configured DLP rules the missing feature to provide a great user experience is to have the OneDrive sync client exposing this labels on the sync client UI or as an explorer new menu.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix "Free Up Space" greyed out for Files On-Demand

With the "File On-Demand" settings activated, the option "Free up space" from the Windows Explorer contextual menu is grayed out on parent directories.
    However, it is available for individual files.

This happens if the "Free up space" has been already clicked once on a given directory. After adding files (locally available), the option is grayed out on this directory, although some children files are available locally (thus space not "freed up").

Steps to reproduce the error:

1/ Create a directory, e.g. OneDrive/test

2/ In this directory, create a file, e.g. OneDrive/test/file1.txt

3/ Wait for the OneDrive sync to end.

4/…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Move to OneDrive

Please, remove the "Move to OneDrive" context menu for each file.
    Keep clicking that stupid entry and not having a clue where my files did go >.<
    Undo doesn't work.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. OneDrive to allow long Filepaths while uploading and Syncing.

OneDrive Errors out when syncing or uploading files that have longer file paths. There is no way to get around this. Such a shame that that Microsoft files that have deep file structure will fail to upload into their own Online Storage.

Is this on the roadmap?

ETA for this fix?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow filtering of files/types when using known folder redirection.

Allow filtering of files/types when using known folder redirection.

Know folder redirection currently syncs everything in the users desktop (as expected), including user specific application shortcuts...

Now that Microsoft is moving a lot of their productivity applications to user based installed (VS Code, Teams, Yammer) those shortcuts are sync'd between systems even if the apps are not installed. This makes for a bad user experience with lots of orphaned shortcuts on the desktop. Any shortcuts deployed via a GPO also get sync'd and start causing duplication conflicts. At this point I would just filter out .lnk files entirely....

Thanks!

Dewayne

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Disable "Access your files on the go" notification

On Windows and macOS, users will sporadically get a notification from the OneDrive client stating "Access your files on the go" and giving users a way to download iOS and Android versions of the app. We, and likely other businesses, do not want users accessing their files from personal mobile devices. While we do restrict access, it's confusing to users to see this message when it's not something we want offered. We would like to have control over which notifications users can see (granular) with Group Policy (Windows) and Configuration Profiles (mac).

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Increase the size of files that can be uploaded to the 10 Gb service to 50Gb, for example...

Increase the size of files that can be uploaded to the 10 Gb service to 50Gb, for example. The new formats, resolutions increase exponentially the size of the files.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Need onedrive run as a service in windows server so that it would run even though you are sign out from the server

Need onedrive run as a service in windows server so that it would run even though you are sign out from the server

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 178 179
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base