OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Linux support

Hi, I am a linux user and I use Onedrive a lot between my devices, but I am switching to linux and I'd love to have the Onedrive App On linux (ubuntu) So, will you create a Onedrive app for Linux ? This would be great !

2,712 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    88 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow users to change the OneDrive folder directory (long company name issue)

The default folder for OneDrive (by design) creates a problem that it conflicts with the maximum 255 character path length issue.

For a persons business OneDrive area
    C:\user\FirstnameLastname\OneDrive - LongCompanyName

For a Company Group/Team site
    C:|users\FirstnameLastname\LongCompanyName\LongCompanyName - LibraryName

It means that you are massively restricted on how you can use OneDrive to avoid reaching the 255 character path length limit.

I contacted support and i am told this is "by design", it isn't really fit for the purpose, other cloud storage providers dont have this issue and allow you to change it, it is such a simple feature.

473 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ファイルを表示したユーザー名を所有者に表示する機能の拡張について (About extending the ability to display the user name of a file to the owner)

[OneDrive 管理センター] - [ファイルを表示したユーザー名を所有者に表示する] の設定をオンにした状態で、OneDrive 上にあるファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせると "閲覧者名" が表示されるが、サイト コレクションの管理者設定にて所有者を追加し、追加した所有者で OneDrive 上のファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせても閲覧者名が表示されません。​
    追加した所有者でも、OneDrive 上のファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせた際に "閲覧者名" を表示できる機能の追加をお願いします。​

※本機能は、ユーザーがどのファイルに興味を持っているかなどの確認が簡単にできるため、非常に便利な機能のため拡張を期待します。​

When you hover over a file on OneDrive with the <a0> OneDrive Admin Center </a0>-[show user name on file as owner] setting selected, the "viewer name " is displayed, but the site
    You add an owner in the collection's administrator settings, and the owner you add does not display the viewer name when you hover over the file on OneDrive.
    If you added the owner, please add the ability to display the "viewer name " When hovering over the file…

658 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. more OneDrive Personal Vault lock options - 20mins is too low

OneDrive Personal Vault is a great OneDrive feature 'though in order to make it more usable, I wish it had more locking options - namely, whenever I unlock it, it'll lock itself automatically in 20mins.

I am of the opinion that 20mins is too few - I wish I could unlock it upon login and have it locked at logout.

This is because if you have a Personal Vault file opened & it then locks 20mins later, you can't save the changes without unlocking the Personal Vault again (with the subsequent risk of data loss).

So please consider either allowing…

222 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    34 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. One Drive Known Folder Move

Do not sync shortcuts (.lnk) from Desktop Folder to onedrive when using Known Folder Move This causes duplicate shortcuts if you set up a new device and sync. If you have the same shortcuts on the desktop as your original machine you will then get a "Copy" shortcut from the sync

296 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Do not show error messages for excluded filetypes

When I exclude filetypes from syncing (using Admin center or Set-SPOTenantSyncClientRestriction) they are marked as "file could not be synced". This is also shown by a red cross.

This behavior confuses Users that think that there is a real problem and furthermore makes it impossible for unqualified users to distinguished between this "by design" errors and real problems

So please do not show error messages for excluded filetypes or deliver an option for disabling these Error messages.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Usage restriction for OneDrive for Business

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    OneDrive for Business の利用制限について
    Usage restriction for OneDrive for Business

■Description(内容):
    個人用サイトを使用できないように、個人用サイトの削除やロックをしたい際に、ブラウザー上からはアクセスが制御されます。
    しかしながら、同期フォルダー内のアイテムは、同期はされませんが表示されて、ダウンロードしていたアイテムは閲覧が可能となる。 同期フォルダー内のアイテムについても、アクセスできないように、機能の拡充を希望します。
    また、アクセス出来ない際に、使用禁止している旨の、エラー メッセージ等が表示され、ユーザーにわかるようにしたいです。
    When personal sites are deleted or locked access from the browser will be restricted so as to make the personal sites unusable.
    However items within the synced folders will be displayed even though sync is not performed, and downloaded items can be viewed. We hope that this feature can be improved to prevent access even for items within the synced folders.
    Also, please display an error message etc. when access is not possible so that the user can understand that…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. OneDrive の同期クライアントで クラウド上 (オンライン) だけにデータを保存したい

データをクラウドだけ (オンライン) だけに保存できるようにして欲しい。
    それをグループポリシーなどで強制できるようにしたい。

つまり、ローカルにデータを残さないで PC 端末紛失時などの対策にしたい。
    これは日本の企業で良く求められる機能です。

203 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. The new manage access section has recently changed and not in a good way

The Manage access section has recently changed (last week or so) and now you can’t edit user rights individually. You can only remove the user from a sharing rights group (like view only) and then you have to add them back if you want to elevate their rights to edit.

This is a horrible design change. If you have multiple users in a sharing category (like “people you specify can view”) that you want to elevate or downgrade several from edit to view, removing & re-adding one at a time is cumbersome at best. There needs to be, as there…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow external non-Office 365 Business users to sync OneDrive Shares

Please allow external users who don't have a OneDrive for Business account (i.e., users with a personal OneDrive account only) to sync shared folders to their local computers. We can already grant edit access to external, personal users, which works fine through a web browser. Also, external users with O365 business accounts can sync our shares. But the combination is not possible: external personal users can't sync. This is FORCING us to drop OneDrive and go back to DropBox, which supports this seamlessly even in their free service.

While better not to constrain the size/amount of syncable files based on…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please make it so that the full path of files can be checked from the search results

■Title(件名):
    検索結果からファイルのフルパスを確認できるようにしてほしい
    Please make it so that the full file path can be checked from the search results

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive for Business にアップロードしているファイルは [詳細] から [その他詳細] 欄に該当ファイルのフルパスが表示されています。

しかし、ファイルを検索した後に、同様の箇所を確認すると次の表記となっており、フルパスが表示されません。

パス

"検索した用語" の検索結果 > ファイル名.拡張子
    検索したファイルのフルパスを確認することが出来ず、非効率的なため、改善してほしい
    Files uploaded to OneDrive for Business will have the full file path displayed in the Other Details column (accessed from Details).

However after searching for the file, the full path is not displayed and the same column is shown in the format below.

Path
    Search results for "searched term" > filename.extension

As not being able to check the full path for the searched…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Unlock Personal Vault with Windows Hello

Please add Windows Hello support to Personal Vaults.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Exclude files/folders by right-clicking on a particular files or folders

It would be great if you can add a feature in the OneDrive so that we can remove the file/folder by just right-clicking on a particular file or a folder. Right now this feature is not available. For example - In Syncplicity, we have an option to exclude the files/folders by right-clicking on the file or folder, see attached.

We have excluded some file types in the OneDrive admin center but the desktop client keeps showing "red cross" (saying some files are not synced). I was looking to exclude those files from backup/sync, but apart from moving those files to…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. choose folder to backup

Going to be blunt here, can you guys introduce option to select any folders user want to backup to OneDrive (instead of just 3 Documents, Desktop & Pictures folders) if not introduce "Backup entire PC" to OneDrive??? Like what Google is doing with its Backup and Sync app?

I have 1TB for OneDrive however it lacks the option to backup my entire PC. My personal files are separate from the normal User folder as it is located in D: drive instead of C:\User\xxxx

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

■Title(件名):
    PC のシャットダウン時の同期の進行状況の表示について
    Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

■Description(内容):
    同期中の "処理中" の状態で、PC のシャットダウンをしようとすると、進行中のファイル アップロードがユーザーに通知されるように新機能が追加されておりますが、PC のシャットダウン時に操作なしに画面を戻らせることなく、シャットダウンを遂行する機能の追加を要望いたします。
    または、進行中のファイル アップロードをユーザーに通知する機能をオフにする機能の追加を要望いたします。

In current design, we have new feature to notify uses about on-going file uploading if users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.
    However, we would like to see the feature to allow PC to continue shutting down without any operation or getting back to the previous screen, or the feature to disable notification about on-going file uploading.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Regarding Upload Complete Date/Time

■Title(件名):
    アップロード完了日時について
    Regarding Upload Complete Date/Time

■Description(内容):
    ローカル PC よりファイルをアップロードした際、アップロードが完了した日時を確認できるように機能拡充を要望します。​
    We hope that a feature will be provided to allow checking of the Upload Complete Date/Time when uploading files from the local PC.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Personal vault needs to sync while locked

Personal vault needs to background sync while locked. Moved 2.5GB of data into personal vault, 20 minutes later it locked in the middle of first sync, then wouldn't let me unlock it ("something went wrong try again"). I had to completely disconnect my pc and reconnect to OneDrive to get it to start syncing again... and then none of my folders were in the vault because the folder hadn't finished the initial sync! Bad design Microsoft. Personal vault HAS to be able to sync while locked, otherwise it's pretty much useless. Oh and by the way, after disconnect/reconnect, I did…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Carpetas o archivos que se encuentran en "Documentos" y que no deseo que se suban a OneDrive pero que sí permanezcan en mi computadora

¿Cómo hago para que una carpeta o archivo (que está dentro de otra carpeta sincronizada) quede en mi computadora y no se suba a OneDrive?

Esta duda surge porque hay programas que crean carpetas dentro de "Documentos" y no quiero que esas carpetas ocupen espacio en mi OneDrive, ni que se sincronicen con mis otros dispositivos, pero obviamente sí quiero que queden en la computadora donde se instaló el programa original que creó esas carpetas.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. "Remove files from all locations?" notification should showcase which files are in question!

See example image attached. It warns me I am to lose 200 files on all locations and does not show me which files they are. There is no way to tell which files they are. But it warns me I will lose them everywhere... think about this from the user's perspective. Empower the user.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Stop Sync choise

When i "Stop Sync" i like to possibility to alså delete lokal copies of files that are synced without deleting them online.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 209 210
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base