OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Linux support

Hi, I am a linux user and I use Onedrive a lot between my devices, but I am switching to linux and I'd love to have the Onedrive App On linux (ubuntu) So, will you create a Onedrive app for Linux ? This would be great !

3,870 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    172 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow users to change the OneDrive folder directory (long company name issue)

The default folder for OneDrive (by design) creates a problem that it conflicts with the maximum 255 character path length issue.

For a persons business OneDrive area
    C:\user\FirstnameLastname\OneDrive - LongCompanyName

For a Company Group/Team site
    C:|users\FirstnameLastname\LongCompanyName\LongCompanyName - LibraryName

It means that you are massively restricted on how you can use OneDrive to avoid reaching the 255 character path length limit.

I contacted support and i am told this is "by design", it isn't really fit for the purpose, other cloud storage providers dont have this issue and allow you to change it, it is such a simple feature.

614 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Backup Important PC Folders - Additional Options

"Backup Important PC Folders" should have additional options to include all the primary user profile folders - particularly Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures and Videos.

The most important ones would be Favorites and Videos to add to the mix, but realistically it should even include the 3D Objects folder.

This would not only make IT environments far easier to automatically back up, but also personal use of OneDrive would be far more beneficial to the average user.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ファイルを表示したユーザー名を所有者に表示する機能の拡張について (About extending the ability to display the user name of a file to the owner)

[OneDrive 管理センター] - [ファイルを表示したユーザー名を所有者に表示する] の設定をオンにした状態で、OneDrive 上にあるファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせると "閲覧者名" が表示されるが、サイト コレクションの管理者設定にて所有者を追加し、追加した所有者で OneDrive 上のファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせても閲覧者名が表示されません。​
    追加した所有者でも、OneDrive 上のファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせた際に "閲覧者名" を表示できる機能の追加をお願いします。​

※本機能は、ユーザーがどのファイルに興味を持っているかなどの確認が簡単にできるため、非常に便利な機能のため拡張を期待します。​

When you hover over a file on OneDrive with the <a0> OneDrive Admin Center </a0>-[show user name on file as owner] setting selected, the "viewer name " is displayed, but the site
    You add an owner in the collection's administrator settings, and the owner you add does not display the viewer name when you hover over the file on OneDrive.
    If you added the owner, please add the ability to display the "viewer name " When hovering over the file…

658 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. more OneDrive Personal Vault lock options - 20mins is too low

OneDrive Personal Vault is a great OneDrive feature 'though in order to make it more usable, I wish it had more locking options - namely, whenever I unlock it, it'll lock itself automatically in 20mins.

I am of the opinion that 20mins is too few - I wish I could unlock it upon login and have it locked at logout.

This is because if you have a Personal Vault file opened & it then locks 20mins later, you can't save the changes without unlocking the Personal Vault again (with the subsequent risk of data loss).

So please consider either allowing…

229 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow use of the OneDrive for Business sync client with Windows Storage Server

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    Windows Storage Server で、OneDrive for Business の同期クライアントを使用できるようにして欲しい
    Allow use of the OneDrive for Business sync client with Windows Storage Server

■Description(内容):
    現在、OneDrive for Business の同期クライアントのシステム要件では、要件を満たすオペレーティング システムに Windows Storage Server が、含まれていません。Windows Storage Server にて利用可能となることで、ユーザーの利便性はさらに向上するため、Windows Storage Server で OneDrive for Business の同期クライアントを使用可能となることを希望します。

At present, the Windows Storage Server does not meet the listed system requirements as an operating system for the OneDrive for Business sync client. It would improve usability if people could use OneDrive for Business with Windows Storage Server, so please make changes to allow its use.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Change Location Path name for OneDrive

I need to rename or change the Location path name for my OneDrive for business. This consumes part of the Path limit for the 260 Characters.

Example:

Original path name: C:\Users\User profile\OneDrive - ODB Name

Rename path name: C:\Users\User profile\ODB Name

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow external non-Office 365 Business users to sync OneDrive Shares

Please allow external users who don't have a OneDrive for Business account (i.e., users with a personal OneDrive account only) to sync shared folders to their local computers. We can already grant edit access to external, personal users, which works fine through a web browser. Also, external users with O365 business accounts can sync our shares. But the combination is not possible: external personal users can't sync. This is FORCING us to drop OneDrive and go back to DropBox, which supports this seamlessly even in their free service.

While better not to constrain the size/amount of syncable files based on…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. One Drive Known Folder Move

Do not sync shortcuts (.lnk) from Desktop Folder to onedrive when using Known Folder Move This causes duplicate shortcuts if you set up a new device and sync. If you have the same shortcuts on the desktop as your original machine you will then get a "Copy" shortcut from the sync

366 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. choose folder to backup

Going to be blunt here, can you guys introduce option to select any folders user want to backup to OneDrive (instead of just 3 Documents, Desktop & Pictures folders) if not introduce "Backup entire PC" to OneDrive??? Like what Google is doing with its Backup and Sync app?

I have 1TB for OneDrive however it lacks the option to backup my entire PC. My personal files are separate from the normal User folder as it is located in D: drive instead of C:\User\xxxx

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Do not show error messages for excluded filetypes

When I exclude filetypes from syncing (using Admin center or Set-SPOTenantSyncClientRestriction) they are marked as "file could not be synced". This is also shown by a red cross.

This behavior confuses Users that think that there is a real problem and furthermore makes it impossible for unqualified users to distinguished between this "by design" errors and real problems

So please do not show error messages for excluded filetypes or deliver an option for disabling these Error messages.

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. backup files automatically without changing the folders' original location.

Automatically backup files with Manage backup, but don't move Desktop, documents and pictures folders to OneDrive.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable OneDrive to use Delivery Optimization

All MS patches and also Office have moved to DO. OneDrive could leverage this to improve caching and transfers, especially in organizations where onedrive files are cached locally across the network by the corporate users.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. add guest users in the people picker

When I share a document or a folder from my PC I cannot find the guest users in the people picker, but I see only inside the organization user
    Insetead I believe that it should be usefull that I can share easly to users not in the organization without that I need to open the folder online in the browser and then share it by using sharepoint online.
    thanks a lot

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Sync data from different devices without

Sync data from different devices without,
    As I use different devices to use OneDrive, but whenever I sync my files it merges all the files from "Desktop, Documents & Pictures" folder into one, making it confusing which file is from which computer.

Please improve this functionality or add this feature so that we can organise our data in a much better way.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Excluding Files From Backing-up to OneDrive.

I would like to suggest that a simple/convenient way of excluding specific files from automatically backing-up to OneDrive be implemented.

For example...if I download a video to my computer, the file will automatically try to back-up to OneDrive if I move the file out of the Downloads folder. This results in a warning being issued to say that I do not have enough space on OneDrive to save the file.

What I am suggesting is...maybe....some sort of right click action that can be implemented to allow a user to move files around a computer without having them back-up automatically to…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Compile for ARM64 PC's please !

I'm using the official Microsoft Surface Pro X and saw that OneDrive is running emulated, consuming more power and being slower than it would be in ARM64 compiled version!
    Please, consider delivering OneDrive for ARM64 windows PC's

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Have the option of disabling ransomware detection for a specific (encrypted) folder

While ransomware protection is a great thing to have, uploading a folder that only has encrypted folders/files inside it trips this ransomware detection. So far, after uploading that folder, I've already gotten 3 separate "suspected ransomware" notifications in regards to files from that folder.
    One way it to protect against it accidentally being turned off could be something similar to how an anti-virus is set up - when it detects something wrong, it prompts the user for an action, one of which is to ignore that file/folder and exclude it from further checks. That way, the option to disable ransomware…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Usage restriction for OneDrive for Business

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    OneDrive for Business の利用制限について
    Usage restriction for OneDrive for Business

■Description(内容):
    個人用サイトを使用できないように、個人用サイトの削除やロックをしたい際に、ブラウザー上からはアクセスが制御されます。
    しかしながら、同期フォルダー内のアイテムは、同期はされませんが表示されて、ダウンロードしていたアイテムは閲覧が可能となる。 同期フォルダー内のアイテムについても、アクセスできないように、機能の拡充を希望します。
    また、アクセス出来ない際に、使用禁止している旨の、エラー メッセージ等が表示され、ユーザーにわかるようにしたいです。
    When personal sites are deleted or locked access from the browser will be restricted so as to make the personal sites unusable.
    However items within the synced folders will be displayed even though sync is not performed, and downloaded items can be viewed. We hope that this feature can be improved to prevent access even for items within the synced folders.
    Also, please display an error message etc. when access is not possible so that the user can understand that…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 217 218
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base