OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Linux support

Hi, I am a linux user and I use Onedrive a lot between my devices, but I am switching to linux and I'd love to have the Onedrive App On linux (ubuntu) So, will you create a Onedrive app for Linux ? This would be great !

2,233 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    63 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ファイルを表示したユーザー名を所有者に表示する機能の拡張について (About extending the ability to display the user name of a file to the owner)

[OneDrive 管理センター] - [ファイルを表示したユーザー名を所有者に表示する] の設定をオンにした状態で、OneDrive 上にあるファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせると "閲覧者名" が表示されるが、サイト コレクションの管理者設定にて所有者を追加し、追加した所有者で OneDrive 上のファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせても閲覧者名が表示されません。​
    追加した所有者でも、OneDrive 上のファイルにマウス カーソルを合わせた際に "閲覧者名" を表示できる機能の追加をお願いします。​

※本機能は、ユーザーがどのファイルに興味を持っているかなどの確認が簡単にできるため、非常に便利な機能のため拡張を期待します。​

When you hover over a file on OneDrive with the <a0> OneDrive Admin Center </a0>-[show user name on file as owner] setting selected, the "viewer name " is displayed, but the site
    You add an owner in the collection's administrator settings, and the owner you add does not display the viewer name when you hover over the file on OneDrive.
    If you added the owner, please add the ability to display the "viewer name " When hovering over the file…

657 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow users to change the OneDrive folder directory (long company name issue)

The default folder for OneDrive (by design) creates a problem that it conflicts with the maximum 255 character path length issue.

For a persons business OneDrive area
    C:\user\FirstnameLastname\OneDrive - LongCompanyName

For a Company Group/Team site
    C:|users\FirstnameLastname\LongCompanyName\LongCompanyName - LibraryName

It means that you are massively restricted on how you can use OneDrive to avoid reaching the 255 character path length limit.

I contacted support and i am told this is "by design", it isn't really fit for the purpose, other cloud storage providers dont have this issue and allow you to change it, it is such a simple feature.

280 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. more OneDrive Personal Vault lock options - 20mins is too low

OneDrive Personal Vault is a great OneDrive feature 'though in order to make it more usable, I wish it had more locking options - namely, whenever I unlock it, it'll lock itself automatically in 20mins.

I am of the opinion that 20mins is too few - I wish I could unlock it upon login and have it locked at logout.

This is because if you have a Personal Vault file opened & it then locks 20mins later, you can't save the changes without unlocking the Personal Vault again (with the subsequent risk of data loss).

So please consider either allowing…

160 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. OneDrive の同期クライアントで クラウド上 (オンライン) だけにデータを保存したい

データをクラウドだけ (オンライン) だけに保存できるようにして欲しい。
    それをグループポリシーなどで強制できるようにしたい。

つまり、ローカルにデータを残さないで PC 端末紛失時などの対策にしたい。
    これは日本の企業で良く求められる機能です。

203 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. One Drive Known Folder Move

Do not sync shortcuts (.lnk) from Desktop Folder to onedrive when using Known Folder Move This causes duplicate shortcuts if you set up a new device and sync. If you have the same shortcuts on the desktop as your original machine you will then get a "Copy" shortcut from the sync

192 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    PC のシャットダウン時の同期の進行状況の表示について
    Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

■Description(内容):
    同期中の "処理中" の状態で、PC のシャットダウンをしようとすると、進行中のファイル アップロードがユーザーに通知されるように新機能が追加されておりますが、PC のシャットダウン時に操作なしに画面を戻らせることなく、シャットダウンを遂行する機能の追加を要望いたします。
    または、進行中のファイル アップロードをユーザーに通知する機能をオフにする機能の追加を要望いたします。

In current design, we have new feature to notify uses about on-going file uploading if users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.
    However, we would like to see the feature to allow PC to continue shutting down without any operation or getting back to the previous screen, or the feature to disable notification about on-going file uploading.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Do not show error messages for excluded filetypes

When I exclude filetypes from syncing (using Admin center or Set-SPOTenantSyncClientRestriction) they are marked as "file could not be synced". This is also shown by a red cross.

This behavior confuses Users that think that there is a real problem and furthermore makes it impossible for unqualified users to distinguished between this "by design" errors and real problems

So please do not show error messages for excluded filetypes or deliver an option for disabling these Error messages.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Unlock Personal Vault with Windows Hello

Please add Windows Hello support to Personal Vaults.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please make it so that files in the document library cannot be moved from OneDrive client app

■Title(件名):
    OneDrive クライアントアプリからドキュメント ライブラリのファイルを移動できないようにしたい
    Please make it so that files in the document library cannot be moved from OneDrive client app

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive クライアントアプリを利用して SharePoint Online のドキュメント ライブラリを同期した際に、OneDrive クライアントアプリからローカル PC 上にファイルを移動できてしまう状態です。
    ユーザーが利用する際に、ドキュメント ライブラリに保存されているファイルのコピーは許可しつつ、移動する動作を禁止する設定を希望します。
    When I used the OneDrive client app to sync with SharePoint Online document library, files will be moved from OneDrive client app to the local pc.
    I hope for a new setting to prevent moving of files while still permitting the copy of files saved in the document library.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Desktop Icon Duplication

In a shared computer environment, an admin may choose to install the Team Machine Wide Installer MSI.

Teams is then installed at every user logon if it doesn't exist in the users profile

"%ProgramFiles%\Teams Installer\Teams.exe --checkInstall --source=default"

Is put in the following key

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This presents an issue when using OneDrive Known Folder Move. When a new user logs on to a PC, OneDrive has its own installation and update process. The Teams installer will start and finish before OneDrive has installed, updated and initiated Known Folder Move for the new user profile.

Teams will create a desktop…

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Automatically convert OneNote notebooks in a compatible format when user migrate to OneDrive

OneNote notebooks cannot be migrated to OneDrive without going through OneNote and without user action.
    The storage of OneNote notebooks as a folder and files is not supported on OneDrive. But with the Known Folders function, OneDrive move automatically these OneNote files to OneDrive and break the OneNote synchronization.
    Is it possible to obtain an automatic conversion of notebooks when KFM is executed or a way to automate the migration to OneDrive notebooks?

132 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Personal vault needs to sync while locked

Personal vault needs to background sync while locked. Moved 2.5GB of data into personal vault, 20 minutes later it locked in the middle of first sync, then wouldn't let me unlock it ("something went wrong try again"). I had to completely disconnect my pc and reconnect to OneDrive to get it to start syncing again... and then none of my folders were in the vault because the folder hadn't finished the initial sync! Bad design Microsoft. Personal vault HAS to be able to sync while locked, otherwise it's pretty much useless. Oh and by the way, after disconnect/reconnect, I did…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OneDrive Client Sync Status Monitoring

We need to be able to programatically check the Sync Status. If a client has sync issues, this could lead to data loss. This is also voiced here:
    https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/15879783-reporting-and-or-monitoring-for-onedrive-client-sy?page=1&per_page=20

And a custom script made is not working for Files On Demand:
    https://github.com/rodneyviana/ODSyncService

We manage thousands of Windows PC and would like to know when a OneDrive client has been out of sync for a long period of time, receive an alert and remediate.

This could be done via a powershell command

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Regarding OneNote Notebook in OneDrive for Business when changing UPN

■Title(件名):
    UPN 変更時の OneDrive for Business 上の OneNote ノートブックについて
    Regarding OneNote Notebook in OneDrive for Business when changing UPN

■Description(内容):
    OneNote クライアントで OneDrive for Business 上の OneNote ノートブックを開いていると、UPN を変更した際、OneDrive for Business の URL も変更されるため、ノートブックをそれぞれいったん閉じて開き直す必要があるが、多数のノートブックがあるとすべて開き直すのに大変手間がかかる。このため、1 回の作業ですべてのノートブックが正常に同期できるようにする、もしくは、UPN 変更後も自動的に OneNote クライアントが UPN 変更を認識して正常に同期できるようにしてほしい。
    When opening OneNote Notebook in OneDrive for Business on an OneNote client and the UPN is changed, due to the URL for OneDrive for Business being changed all the Notebooks need to be close and reopened again, and this closing and reopening takes up a lot of time when there are lots of Notebooks opened. Thus I…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. OneDrive personal vault timeoout

OneDrive personal vault should not timeoout while uploading files!

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I want to exclude files from Windows 10 storage senser

■Title(件名):
    Windows 10 のストレージ センサー機能にて、特定のファイルをオンライン専用にするファイルから除外する機能について
    I want to exclude files from Windows 10 storage senser

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive for Business ではショートカット アイコンの拡張子である ".lnk" ファイルは、OneDrive for Business でサポートされていないことと、Windows 10 のストレージ センサー機能を利用してオンライン専用状態となった場合に、PC 端末を再起動するとアイコンが消えることを確認しております。
    そのため、特定の拡張子のファイルのみ指定して Windows 10 のストレージ センサー機能から除外できる機能の実装をお願いします。​
    ".Ink" shortcut icon files are not supported in OneDrive for Business, and if the Windows 10 storage senser is used to get online, those shortcut icons will disappear once the PC terminal is restarted.
    Thus please implement a feature where file extensions can be chosen and excluded from the Windows 10 storage senser feature.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19.  Enable delta sync for Zip compressed files the same as Dropbox

We have large compressed file repositories composing many smaller files but only some parts get updated and we dont want the entire Zip file to have to be re-synced. Dropbox already do this for Zip and RAR files: https://www.dropbox.com/lp/file-compression

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. PowerShell script function to control OneDrive sync start stop.

We want a script to schedule and control the following scenarios:
    1. When located on our corporate network, enable OneDrive sync anytime.
    2. When on mobile hotspot, and during normal business hours, allow OneDrive sync with notification warning they are on a metered network.
    3. When on mobile hotspot, and after business hours, every 15 minutes pop up a notification warning user they are on a metered network.
    4. When on home network, enable OneDrive sync anytime.
    Outcomes should be achievable by PowerShell or a user interface.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 219 220
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base