OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Replace or enhance Upload and Download rate settings in OneDrive for Business with LEDBAT++ to optimize bandwidth usage.

Replace or enhance Upload and Download rate settings in OneDrive for Business with LEDBAT++. This will significantly optimize OneDrive traffic to save bandwidth when the network is constrained and will allow OneDrive to work more quickly when more bandwidth is available. This would ease initial implementations when large amounts of data are being uploaded and would reduce concerns with ongoing traffic from large files.

168 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Vault for windows 7

Please available Vault for windows 7 file explorer

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it easier to obtain Excel file path from OneDrive

When referencing Excel files held on OneDrive with Power Query you need to download the Excel file, open it, copy the path and then remove ?web=1 from the end of it. It would be great if there was a right click or ... option when selecting an Excel file in OneDrive that would give you this path without the ?web=1 on the end.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. OneDrive personal vault timeoout

OneDrive personal vault should not timeoout while uploading files!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please provide an option to hide "Manage onedrive backup"

Why onedrive does not provide an option to hide "Manage onedrive backup" from the desktop context menu

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Increase file name character limit

People who have multiple folder layers and detailed file names are severely penalised by having the 260 / 400 character limit to a file name.

This is a poor limitation and is leading me to consider leaving the OneDrive service. I'm certain you can come up with a solution to increase this limit, remove it, or make it so that the file path isn't stored in the file name!

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Stop counting previous versions, recycle bin, and icons against storage limits

Things like previous versions, files in the recycle bin, and the icons that are generated in the online portal should not be counted against your total storage size. We enforce a storage limit as we have many PC's in our environment that cannot yet take advantage of files on demand and it's hard to explain to users why they need to clean up their files when if you only counted the size of the file it would be under the limit. OneDrive also creates icons for each file to be viewed in the online portal. It can be 15MB per…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. OneDrive Client Sync Status Monitoring

We need to be able to programatically check the Sync Status. If a client has sync issues, this could lead to data loss. This is also voiced here:
    https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/15879783-reporting-and-or-monitoring-for-onedrive-client-sy?page=1&per_page=20

And a custom script made is not working for Files On Demand:
    https://github.com/rodneyviana/ODSyncService

We manage thousands of Windows PC and would like to know when a OneDrive client has been out of sync for a long period of time, receive an alert and remediate.

This could be done via a powershell command

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Exclude files/folders by right-clicking on a particular files or folders

It would be great if you can add a feature in the OneDrive so that we can remove the file/folder by just right-clicking on a particular file or a folder. Right now this feature is not available. For example - In Syncplicity, we have an option to exclude the files/folders by right-clicking on the file or folder, see attached.

We have excluded some file types in the OneDrive admin center but the desktop client keeps showing "red cross" (saying some files are not synced). I was looking to exclude those files from backup/sync, but apart from moving those files to…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Shared With Me in File Explorer

It would be great to have a way to view files "Shared with Me" on the desktop. This could either be done with a link in file Explorer under the OneDrive link or in the desktop sync client down in the systray.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please change OneDrive so that it sends files to my computer with their modified date, not their download date

When I download files from OneDrive cloud, it stores the downloaded date on my computer not the file modified data, although the latter is stored on OD cloud. PLEASE get OD to transmit the file to my computer with its modified date. The current system makes OD TOTALLY USELESS for general file backup as I must (i) know when files were created or modified, and (ii) be able to sort files in a folder by date.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Pause Syncing with PowerShell

I would like a way to pause and unpause OneDrive syncing in PowerShell. This would be handy in PowerShell scripts that manipulate files. Sometimes the files get locked if OneDrive is currently syncing them. I would like to be able to script the pause, make my file changes, then unpause when my script is finished.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Requesting for a feature to recover deleted users’ OneDrive for Business only

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    削除済みユーザーの OneDrive for Business 単体で復元可能な機能を提供してほしい。
    Requesting for a feature to recover deleted users’ OneDrive for Business only
    ■Description(内容):
    削除済みユーザーの OneDrive for Business のデータを取り出すためにユーザーを復元すると、当該ユーザーのメールボックスも同時に復元が行われてしまう。
    OneDrive for Business 単体で復元可能な機能を提供してほしい
    If a deleted user gets recovered due to the need to retrieve that users’ OneDrive for Business data, the users’ mailbox will get recovered as well. Thus I hope for a feature that allows for just the recovery of OneDrive for Business.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. we couldn't setup your personal vault. error code 0x8031002c. yours system admin has configured encyption settings that are incomptaible wit

we couldn't setup your personal vault. error code 0x8031002c. yours system admin has configured encyption settings that are incomptaible wit

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. OneDrive for Business - Please Enable Automatic Screenshot Saving. Why only for OneDrive Personal?

I like the feature where taking screenshots while working goes directly to Onedrive for Business. Currently, this feature is only available in OneDrive Personal. Otherwise, please make obvious on Microsoft OneDrive documents to enable screenshot auto-saving, this feature isn't available for OneDrive for Business!!!

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Map onedrive as network drive

it will be great to have the possibility to map onedrive as network drive to your PC

Which will help to save time and data in your PC, because as you Sync the files take times and also consumed your memory

I hope allow this feature ASAP

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Migrate more folders using Known Folder Move

A few weeks ago, you released this great feature you named Known Folder Move[1]. I find it awesome.

I think you should protect more of the user profile using it. Music and Video are great candidates (and already have OneDrive equivalents).

There are other folders I think would be interesting to move. They already have an OneDrive equivalent, but I don't know if any app uses them:
    * Favorites
    * 3d Objects
    * Saved Games

[1] https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-OneDrive-Blog/Migrate-Your-Files-to-OneDrive-Easily-with-Known-Folder-Move/ba-p/207076

281 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. OneDrive downloads the whole file when we try to check file properties

This is a problem of OneDrive in Windows 10.

So for example I have a 2GB file on my OneDrive storage that I want to check the properties of.
    I right-click and select properties. then OneDrive keeps me waiting because on the taskbar it shows that it's actually downloading the whole file, just to show me its properties. so OneDrive can't only get the metadata but it needs to acquire the whole file to show me its properties.

This needs to change because it's just waste of Internet bandwidth and is bad for productivity.

I have Office 365 Business premium…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add feature to exclude a folder

Please add a feature to exclude a folder from syncing up to OneDrive! I use OneDrive for photos but when iTunes creates the stupid iPod cache folder I do not want this to sync to the cloud. Often I remove this folder completely and let it be rebuilt, after making changes to images, and there is no point to continuously upload 5 gig to OneDrive when it is not needed.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Select More Types of Default Folders When Using The Manage Backup Feature

Its great that we have a backup feature provided to us. Apparently, there are other default folders that we want to backup and manage as well.

Additionally, we should be able to select as to what file/folder should be backedup. In that way we can manage the size of the OneDrive storage as well.

Its about time to have these types of features implemented as this is implemented by other Cloud Storage provider like Google.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base