OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. umm... wich account am i signed in on again, i forget.

I forgot what account I used, can you make it obvious please? just add an email address on the main area.

and can you describe the "votes" thing? there isn't a question?mark next to it.

PS: please allow for multiple e-mails. rather than taking mrmattbett@gmail.com as the email, use that as the email for automatic responses, mattbett@icloud.com for non-auto-responses, tibbmatt682@granderie.ca for school stuff and mattbett@oakburl.net as a backup e-mail.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Selective Sync for OneDrive

Allow users to select which Subfolders within Documents, Desktop, Photos, etc. get uploaded to OneDrive (are therefore continuously synced), and which should be ignored by OneDrive and kept locally on computer only.

We shouldn't have to keep some folders in a non-C Drive location just to prevent OneDrive from constantly trying to back them up! Waste of time and space!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable Sync Prioritization for OneDrive

Allow users to specify certain files or folders to always be the first-in-queue to be synced by OneDrive.

Too often I find myself waiting all afternoon for OneDrive to sync banal data changes in a random subfolder or upload photos before changes to an important document make it to the top of the queue.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Sync other files/folders even when personal vault is locked.

I could not sync other files/folders when personal vault is locked. It may be ok if one drive don't sync only Personal vault when it is locked, but it stopped syncing all files/folders too.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Files I have changed during the day

It would be nice to be able to see all files I have changed during the day when I click the OneDrive-Icon. Maybe this already is possible but I only see the most recent changes made by everyone in our organisation.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I want to exclude files from Windows 10 storage senser

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    Windows 10 のストレージ センサー機能にて、特定のファイルをオンライン専用にするファイルから除外する機能について
    I want to exclude files from Windows 10 storage senser

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive for Business ではショートカット アイコンの拡張子である ".lnk" ファイルは、OneDrive for Business でサポートされていないことと、Windows 10 のストレージ センサー機能を利用してオンライン専用状態となった場合に、PC 端末を再起動するとアイコンが消えることを確認しております。
    そのため、特定の拡張子のファイルのみ指定して Windows 10 のストレージ センサー機能から除外できる機能の実装をお願いします。​
    ".Ink" shortcut icon files are not supported in OneDrive for Business, and if the Windows 10 storage senser is used to get online, those shortcut icons will disappear once the PC terminal is restarted.
    Thus please implement a feature where file extensions can be chosen and excluded from the Windows 10 storage senser feature.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. detect and remove duplicate files and pictures

An app that would detect and allow removal of files or pictures that get uploaded more than once, or a pop up window warning that the file already exists giving an option to proceed your not

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Verrrrrrrrry Slow

OneDrive is pathetically slow with uploads. For at least the last two weeks, it's been closer to dial up speeds. It can take hours to upload 500 meg. Historically, I haven't seen uploads faster than very low broadband speeds. I have a decent broadband connection - can stream HD movies and do other things simultaneously. I'm truly sick of it. What's more amazing...I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER. I'm not just using the free version. I would expect slower speeds if I were only using the free version. But to pay money and get this, pitiful.

1,696 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    172 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. order quick prints from our photo storage files

Used to be able to order quick prints from photo storage. Selected photos were uploaded to Walgreens for one hour printing. This feature is disabled and there appears to be no other way to order prints from my desktop using OneDrive. WHY? It looks like I would be able to do this quite easily from Shutterfly.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Increase file name character limit

People who have multiple folder layers and detailed file names are severely penalised by having the 260 / 400 character limit to a file name.

This is a poor limitation and is leading me to consider leaving the OneDrive service. I'm certain you can come up with a solution to increase this limit, remove it, or make it so that the file path isn't stored in the file name!

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow external non-Office 365 Business users to sync OneDrive Shares

Please allow external users who don't have a OneDrive for Business account (i.e., users with a personal OneDrive account only) to sync shared folders to their local computers. We can already grant edit access to external, personal users, which works fine through a web browser. Also, external users with O365 business accounts can sync our shares. But the combination is not possible: external personal users can't sync. This is FORCING us to drop OneDrive and go back to DropBox, which supports this seamlessly even in their free service.

While better not to constrain the size/amount of syncable files based on…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add the option to keep Personal Vault unlocked on trusted PC

My daily driver is a desktop PC that resides inside my locked apartment. The only person who has access to it is me. I'd like the ability to specify that the Personal Vault remain unlocked on this trusted PC.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I am using OneDrive since it was started. Instead of 5GB free space Microsoft may provide 20GB free space as Google providing 15GB free spac

I am using OneDrive since it was started. Instead of 5GB free space Microsoft may provide 20GB free space as Google providing 15GB free space.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Unsync files once they haven't been used in (90?) days

Files on demand is amazing, but we have users that will only ever use a file once (a shift handover sheet where a new file is created every shift which is twice a day), it would be good if there was a number that could be set (for example 90), where if a file hadn't been used within that time period it would be unsynced from the users device.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add feature to exclude a folder

Please add a feature to exclude a folder from syncing up to OneDrive! I use OneDrive for photos but when iTunes creates the stupid iPod cache folder I do not want this to sync to the cloud. Often I remove this folder completely and let it be rebuilt, after making changes to images, and there is no point to continuously upload 5 gig to OneDrive when it is not needed.

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Security improvement for local OneDrive folder

When I select a different OneDrive location than the default c:/users folder then my files become visible for other users on the same PC. On my PC there are two discs - one for the OS and the other for Data. Upon selecting to store my OneDrive folder on the Data drive (d:) - the files become readable for all users.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Files not deleted from the PC when OneDrive is running as a Windows Service

We make AlwaysUp -- a utility that can run the OneDrive desktop client 24x7 as a Windows Service. Details here:

https://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/Apps/RunOneDriveAsAService.html

Recent versions of OneDrive (including 19.232.X) exhibit a strange problem. When you delete a file in the cloud, the file is not removed from the local PC. All other synchronization works though. And the problem does not occur when you run OneDrive normally on the desktop.

We experimented with the various settings but none made deletes work. We did notice that, with FilesOnDemand on, the files were removed when they were not yet downloaded (i.e. had the cloud icon…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Default save as dialogue location when working with OneDrive Sync Client (using Sharepoint) for Office Files

As a small business we host all our documents in Sharepoint but work entirely from synced folders using OneDrive for Business. When saving a new file, it always defaults to the online location of the folder I am in as per the image below. Instead I wish it to default to the equivalent local folder and let it sync up to the cloud rather than down from. This enables me to use that file straight away, say to email. Any ideas?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. exclude on file

You may have the option to exclude 1 or more files when syncing Onedrive. There are some applications that create a log file in the "Documents-application" directory and the path is not necessarily editable in the settings of it. This forces you to have Onedrive sync always in check. For this, it would be practical to be able to create an exclusion list.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base