OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow sync of other folders

Allow OneDrive to sync other default folders like Music, Videos and Favorites. This covers most default locations. But why not let OneDrive sync any folder chosen? This would allow backups for those who move their default locations to another drive.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. OneDrive is not preserving original creation timestamp on every device as told

Folders and files I uploaded to OneDrive only keep the modified date on OneDrive (checked via website). In another question (in Microsoft Community) people said that the creation time is preserved if the file/folder is dragged to the OneDrive folder and synced. I did the same way but the creation time on OneDrive is the time when the file/folder is synced.

I would like to keep the creation date of those old files and folders, no matter it is synced from cloud to a device, or synced from device to cloud. Thanks.
    (version: 64-bit OneDrive accompanying Windows Insider Build)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bug Report: Explorer Crash When Pausing Sync During Copy

I could not figure out where to report software bugs, so I will report it here.

I was copying about 360 files from a cloud file share (mounted to Y drive letter) to my Documents folder, which is sync'd by OneDrive. I noticed how slow it was going bouncing between two clouds, so I went to the tray icon and paused OneDrive sync while the file copy was in progress.

I was going to re-enable sync after the copy was completed.

However, after OneDrive paused, explorer.exe crashed. The start bar restarted and the copy in progress was terminated.
    OneDrive did…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to track/stop users making copies of onedrive files to their personal files when synced to computer

As a business, we need more security with our files/data. The goal is for users to work normally on their synced files, but prevent them from taking the data somewhere else by making copies of it or transferring it to a USB/external drive.

To clarify the goal: the goal is to to prevent employees from making copies of the data; not necessarily when an employee termination takes place, but at any time. Revoking access is the easy part, the hard part is to provide access to the data, without allowing the data to be copied.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Enable USB Drive synchronisation with OneDrive account!

USB Drive synchronisation would make OneDrive even more popular.

This feature would not only save us from a lot of headaches in case of a drive loss or corruption but would also be helpful when the drive is left at home but the files could be accessed at a workplace computer.

Please consider this feature at the next Windows 10/Office 365 update.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make it so we can choose folders again.

It should be possible to not sync you documents folder. Some apps create thousands of files in there, every time you open them. If I try to deselect 'Documents' in Choose Folders I get an error. Onedrive has become horrible and impossible to use. Useless.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I need help. One Drive is corrupting my Quicken files causing nightmares. How can I exclude all quicken files from my OneDrive backups?

I need help. One Drive is corrupting my Quicken files causing nightmares. How can I exclude all quicken files from my OneDrive cloud backups?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Advice for large file's names before upload

berfore upload go advice for large file's names (more tah 255 characters)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Colour current file name

I keep asking you to do this. I now have so many version of the file on my machine or in the cloud that I have no idea which is the current one. This is hopeless.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make clear that a folder on your local drive is not synced after unsyncing

Please add a visual cue that an un-synced location is not synced to SharePoint. Current behavior is just removing the cloud symbol.

This might cause confusion with users still using the "old" location thinking that changes will still be synced.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Let me choose which files to sync in the Desktop

Let me choose which files to sync in the Desktop, there's app icons there that try to get synced but fail, for example, and certain direct access files that I'm already syncing from my Documents, wish I could choose not to sync them.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. How about you stop trying to steal my data?

The headline should be selfexplanatory

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Put a different colour on the filename of the current version of a file

I have been calling for this for ages. I have recurrent problems in identifying the current version of a file when it is saved to either my machine or the cloud. I need to have the current version immediately available. Give it a colour, like the green you use in files that have been edited. It is technically possible.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. impossible to configure 2 profile school in iOS device OneDrive

impossible to configure 2 profile school in iOS device OneDrive

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Share a link that allows for comments only

Add an option when creating a link to share a file to share for comments. Allowing access to the file and the addition of comments, but not full edit access to the file.
    The way this works in Google Drive/Docs is perfect and it would be great to have the same functionality in OneDrive!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add a menu item for On This Day.

Add a menu item for On This Day, so we don't have to wait until mid afternoon for it to pop up.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to manually define the synced folder name

It would be great to have an option which enables end-users to manually define the synced folder name per document library. (similar like Shortcuts to websites)

The reason is that, renamed SPO site titles are not replicated to the synced folder names, which confuses some users when they are talking about the same "sites"/"team" but with different names.
    If end-users are aware, that they have defined the Name for that folder themselves they know that the corresponding site must not correlate to their own name.

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Dont sync files without asking

Dont sync files from my virused old computer onto my bran new one. just a thought, you could've cost me over $1000. I dont know which genius from microsoft thinks its a good idea to start syncing files without even asking me. its a simple 'would you like to sync' 'YES' 'No'. thanks for ruining my night and stealing 2 hours of my life because you insist on trying to be like apple.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Remove local copies of files that haven't been accessed for a certain amount of days

An option would be useful that allows to activate the removal of local copies of files that haven't been accessed for a certain amount of days (default maybe 30). This could be managed by Storage Sense.
    There should also be a corresponding option to chose if this should include files marked as "always keep on this device", maybe with an own time schedule for them (for example 90 days by default).
    This would allow to free up disk space in environments with limited available disk space as it is usually the case on RDS application hosts. It would also help…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 자동 동기화 그만해

영상편집 좀 한다고 배경화면에 영상 몇개 놔뒀더니 그걸 꾸역꾸역 동기화해서 용량을 10기가씩 쳐먹네. 자동 동기화를 마음대로 끌 수 있게 만들던가 설정 들어가도 어케 연결 해지하는거 말고는 멈출 방법이 없네. 니네들 이거 프리미엄 팔아먹을라고 일부러 개선 안하는거지?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base