OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. OneDrive should prompt user for permission to sync instead of randomly starting.

OneDrive should prompt users for permission to sync instead of randomly starting without warning and when it can be very disruptive. If user says no, then send reminder 24 hours later with a note "its been 1 day since your last backup". Only having the option in Settings to stop it from sync at startup is not enough. Alternatively, OneDrive should ask for "when is a good time to backup".

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Doc Auto Save

Auto save on documents is not good. It erases valuable data. Sometimes I want to save the document under a different name and keep the old version. Need to be able to turn it off for ALL Documents instead of one at a time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OneDrive Client Sync Status Monitoring

We need to be able to programatically check the Sync Status. If a client has sync issues, this could lead to data loss. This is also voiced here:
    https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/15879783-reporting-and-or-monitoring-for-onedrive-client-sy?page=1&per_page=20

And a custom script made is not working for Files On Demand:
    https://github.com/rodneyviana/ODSyncService

We manage thousands of Windows PC and would like to know when a OneDrive client has been out of sync for a long period of time, receive an alert and remediate.

This could be done via a powershell command

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. intrusive

intrusive non programmable synchronisation

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make easier prohibiting synchronisation of certain files or folders.

My OneDrive is all the time full because I cannot prohibit synchronising certain very big files that I do not want to be in OneDrive, only on my own hard disk.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Don't duplicate shortcuts that are created before OneDrive has fully launched.

Scenario: Users' Desktops are redirected to a folder inside their OneDrive. Some processes (e.g. Teams and Group Policy preferences) create Desktop shortcuts before OneDrive client has fully started. In these scenarios the shortcuts are duplicated.

We have 1900 users hot-desking across 700 computers. This behaviour leads to potentially hundreds of duplicated shortcuts on their desktops!

For reference, another admin has described this well and provided a script to clear up the mess in this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/exclude-group-policy-shortcuts-from-onedrive-sync/0c70b148-1e1a-42c9-8cf0-e9a6c34f8b41

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Sync metadata of photos, music, and other files not currently synced

Sync the metadata of files all the time, even if Files On-Demand is on and the file is not currently synced, that way searching for them is easier and song titles show up properly.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Enable OneDrive to have local files on different partitions

I would like the ability to choose some folders on OneDrive to be locally stored on different partitions. SSD M.2 drives are higher priced than SATA SSD and much higher than HDD. I don't necessarily need all my files on high speed SSD. Many files could be archived on slower HDD but I still want both on OneDrive for portability and safety.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. ********

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow more payment methods.

Only creditcard (or PayPal, which also requires a creditcard for verification) is ridiculous because they are expensive.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. file history

Why OneDrive cannot be used in windows file history instead of External drive? It doesn't make any sense. I have 1TB of OneDrive and need to buy an external drive to backup my windows file history? It's ridiculous.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Cделать бесплатное хранилище фото

Будет круто если вы сделаете бесплатным хранилище для фотографий с телефона, таким уже пользуется "Яндекса-Диск" и не обеднел, вы очень хорошие и классные, надеюсь на понимание и уверенность в себе.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Relocate Teams Folders in OneDrive for Business

Microsoft Teams Chat Files and Teams Data Folders are automatically stored at the top folder. It creates an unnecessary mass. It should be stored somewhere else and should be hidden. Who would use it within OneDrive?!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. OneDrive Moved and delet Photos

I installed OneDrive and wanted to sync images. I noticed that OneDrive copies all images to the installation location. I thought the pictures are copied. I did not need duplicates in the OneDrive folder and deleted them there. As it turns out, OneDrive has moved the pictures and not copied. Thus, I almost almost completely deleted the pictures. What is going on at Microsoft? Programming unlearned ??? How can that be that does not show that images moved to the OneDrive folder !!! be, and that you can delete there on no case ??? Lucky I have a backup. Microsoft…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Скачивание файла

Многие пользователи не могут скачать файл с облака. Тут либо интерфейс не интуитивный, либо они должны быть авторизованы, а зачем лишние действия. Пожалуйста разберитесь с этим. Ушла с другого файлообменника в вашу пользу, но по факту приходится для людей пользоваться всё таки ещё и другим

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Syncing/uploading logic

Onedrive should not start the uploading process all over again if i just change the name of the folder, or move it within onedrive folder on my computer.
    This is so dumb.
    Dropbox manages it in a more logical way -it understands when i only change the name or location.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Share link

When preparing a share link for friends, we have "edit" the content of the link by default. It would be nicer to have "read only" by default. Most of the time share kink is for watching pictures.For security reasons, the friends should not be able to modify the content

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Why do we have to manually permit each time a file needs to be renamed? There should be an option that you rename them automatically.

why do we have to note each time to ok renmaing a file. there should be an option to do this automatically. it's really annoying.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Shared With Me in File Explorer

It would be great to have a way to view files "Shared with Me" on the desktop. This could either be done with a link in file Explorer under the OneDrive link or in the desktop sync client down in the systray.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base