OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set an entire folder as available as locally available

Currently the recommended way to set an online-only file as locally available is to open it and have it downloaded to the PC storage. It is cumbersome to open files individually to achieve this especially with a large number of files. We need to add an option to download a whole folder without making them "Always available on device".

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. its not safe

why microsoft onedrive start backup my desktop, documents and pictures folders without my permission?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make my OneDrive even better!

Hi, Microsoft! OneDrive has a problem syncing my apps, such as Wondershare Filmora X, VMware Workstation, Pushbullet, Notepad++, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Free XLSX Viewer and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC!

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow syncing of MULTIPLE computers to SEPARATE Documents/Desktop/Pictures folders

I have 5 PC's.

I'm using OneDrive on each one of them.

I like the feature to sync Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders automatically. BUT if I would enable this on all my PC's it will create a mess. I need to have option of backing up MULTIPLE, individual desktops to individual, separate folders, so they don't mix up :)

I was reading questions and requests - many people are asking about this!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Right click menu integration

I want OneDrive to be integrated into folder right click menu so that i can choose to upload and use the file online directly without having to copy the file to Onedrive folder and choose to have it available online, it's a waste of time. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add the ability to ignore individual files

The itunes file: iTunes Music Library.xml is changed every time a song plays which for me is 54 MBs every few minutes and each time because the Music folder is synced with OneDrive it keeps syncing this file all day long. It would be great to be able to turn off individual files instead of whole folders. And I could save a huge amount of churn each day.

I would turn off the creation of the .xml file if I could but I need it to sync to Sonos.

Thanks.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. About backups

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    バックアップについて
    About backups

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive 同期クライアントにてファイルの同期やバックアップを行う際に、ファイルに優先順位を設定して、優先度の高いファイルから同期やバックアップを行える機能の拡充を希望いたします。

Please add a way to set priorities for use when syncing files or backing up using the OneDrive client, so that syncing/backing up starts with high-priority files.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. how about you unistal 1 drives from everyones computer. That way I won't have to disable it on every new computer.

1 Drive program is trashy. It's really annoying. And doesn't need to be installed with windows. Ever.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better file protection, like Sharepoint and dGoogle Drive need to be able to prevent shared ppl from downloading shared files

Better file protection, like Sharepoint and Google Drive need to be able to prevent shared ppl from downloading shared files.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Folder names when they are synced using the OneDrive client

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    OneDrive 同期クライアントでの同期した際のフォルダー名称について
    Folder names when they are synced using the OneDrive client

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive 同期クライアントで同期すると、"OneDrive - <組織名>" という名前で自動表示される。
    "OneDrive" と "<組織名>" の間に "スペース" と "ハイフン" が入る事でバッチ処理の際に困っているので、この名前を自由に変更できるようにしてほしい。
    または、スペースや半角を排除できるようにしてほしい。

Syncing with the OneDrive client automatically creates folders shown as “OneDrive - <organization name>”.
    Since the presence of the space and hyphen between the “OneDrive” and the organization name makes it difficult to use batch files, we would like to be able to change these names freely.
    Alternatively, we would the space and hyphen to be removed.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please don't reset my Save settings with Updates

Updated Windows this week, and now my Office files AutoSave on open, destroying the info of their prior save date needed to find proper files. Needed to go to OneDrive settings and turn off "sync Office files on Open option under Office tab. Took two hours and chat with two MS Support staffers to fix this. Like being caught in a drive-by shooting.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Let me choose the main folder

When I complete a fresh installation of Windows or a fresh installation of OneDrive, the ONEDRIVE app should always ask for the name of the folder to use. Now it often automatically uses the "OneDrive" folder in the "User" folder on drive (c :) where Windows is installed. This behavior is very dangerous for users who normally use a different folder.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow us to upload new files while keeping the same shared link

Whenever I make changes to an image or file and upload the new file to One Drive, I have to get a new shared link. Other file sharing services (Box, Google Drive, etc.) allow me to manage versions so I can keep the same shared link. I would really like a way to do this in One Drive so those who have the old shared link don't get messed up. Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Turn off after syncronization completed

I would like suggest an option "Turn off computer after syncronization completed"

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When we disable oneDrive make it so it does not auto start again in the task bar.

When I disable OneDrive it restarts at some point in the task bar and slows my computer down. I do not use it at all. Everything I save, is saved to an external hard drive so I do not need OneDrive nor do I even want it on my computer. Let us remove it and make it so we do not have to have it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable OneDrive Personal users to set default share settings, make these share settings obvious

Hi,

I would like the option to set sharing defaults on OneDrive Personal.

i.e. a global setting that says: any file I share should -

1. contain an expiration date of 30 days

2. be view only

I think it is a huge oversight that this functionality is not included in OneDrive personal, where people are FAR more likely than businesses to fall foul of security issues.

I'll add that it's quite hard to gauge within Windows who a file was shared with, how and for how long. You have to log into the OneDrive dashboard on a browser to see this.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Folder names in OneDrive are aligned to the left.

Hello! I previously had my personal folders (user folders) in my OneDrive folder. I put them there by changing the location in the properties of each one (Music, Images, Documents, etc. In some system update or OneDrive I received the option to make backup copies of Desktop, Images and Documents, and I gave it to accept After a few months, I had to reinstall Windows and when setting OneDrive to download the files back to the PC, it turns out that practically all the folders appeared with the name aligned to the left, which is aesthetically horrible. I disabled backups…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. "Add to onedrive"; allows to move shortcut away from root-directory

Onedrive for business; "Add shortcut to ondrive".
    Please allow that the shortcut can be moved away from the root-directory.
    This allows a clean order and sorting of own and external content. In this way, projects can be mapped consistently and up to date in your own Onedrive without having to create copies and update them again and again afterwards.
    The current implementation where all shortcuts are in the root directory is useless.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. SYNC BUTTON ON ALL PLATFORMS

it badly needs a sync button. Sick of having to shut down and re start just to sync something from my phone to my laptop. Its unusable

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base