OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Simple Email Attachment Transfer Option with Notification

Implement an email attachment sending feature a la WeTransfer or Dropbox Transfer. Instead of having to create a folder in OneDrive, copy files there, and share that out... just implement a Transfer/Attachment sending function. Select files, choose the feature, OneDrive leverages the storage and uploads but just creates a simple link to send, along with download notifications. Dropbox offers this and it's quicker and easier. This is different from the currently functionality in that you also don't need to worry about keeping the files in OneDrive, making sure not to move them, until they are downloaded and done with. Sometimes…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow sync of other folders

Allow OneDrive to sync other default folders like Music, Videos and Favorites. This covers most default locations. But why not let OneDrive sync any folder chosen? This would allow backups for those who move their default locations to another drive.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. business one drive auto screenshot save

I need save screenshot to One Drive business. How do I achieve this so it defaults to a screenshot folder on my One Drive business?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Secure folder for photos

Photos that are pulled from the phone should be able to be moved to a secure folder

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow upload of Windows 10 Camera images to be TURNED OFF WITHOUT signing into OneDrive

WHY can I not turn off uploading Windows 10 Camera images to OneDrive without first creating and signing into OneDrive? This one terrible, privacy-invading feature is enough for me to investigate switching to Linux.
    Two other reasons:
    1) Cortana cannot be uninstalled or deactivated
    2) Windows 10 now spams my home screen

Please realize that your efforts to monetize Windows 10 with invasive features are counter-productive

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Don't include the option to enable OneDrive backup during Windows OOBE.

Don't include the option to enable OneDrive backup during Windows OOBE. It is not even visible to some extent that users enable OneDrive backup even though they don't have enough storage on OneDrive. This causes a lot of issue

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow folders to be copied back instead of forcing sync

Aologies if this has been discussed.

Further apologies if my suggestion / request is long-winded.

Let's say I have a scenario where one folder on my hard drive is approx 70GB. This folder is synced with OneDrive (so it is in two locations: LOC A: HDD, LOC B: OneDrive Cloud).

I realise I would like an extra copy of these files for safety so I copy this specific 70GB folder onto an EXTERNAL HDD (which does not sync with OneDrive). Let's call this LOC C.

One day, I realise that the 70GB folder is taking up too much space on…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Function to back up the desktop

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    デスクトップをバックアップする機能
    Function to back up the desktop

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive 同期の、デスクトップをバックアップする機能がありますが、バックアップと表現するのは紛らわしいです。
    このバックアップを誤ってしてしまう場合、C ドライブのデスクトップにファイルを保存したつもりが、OneDrive を経由することになります。
    OneDrive が推奨されていないツールを使用すると、正常に動作しない可能性があるため、混乱しないよう表示してほしい。

OneDrive syncing allows users to back up their desktop, but describing it as a backup is confusing.
    If a mistake is made with this, then while you may intend to save files to the desktop on the C drive, they may be saved to OneDrive.
    Since if you use a tool that isn’t recommended by OneDrive it may not work correctly, please change how this is displayed so it is not confusing.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. It does not show the path/properties of the deleted/uploading files!

OneDrive just shows a list of deleted files without the paths and other properties of the deleted/added/uploading/downloading files and folders. (Just name of the files are listed; thus, you don't know the files are belong to which nested folders during uploading/downloading)

You will find these kinds of information/statistics more efficient when you have multiple nested folders, working in a team, and especially a huge number of files.

At least it should provide a useful and clear report about processed files when it syncs the local folder with the cloud.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Option to "exclude large files"

Occassionally I have large files moving through folders that are being synced by OneDrive.
    OneDrive should give me the option to exclude large files (>1GB) from automatic syncing or at least ask me when such large files are about to be synced.
    Today, OneDrive even often gives me an error in such cases, as the upload failed due to strorage space.

To summarize, there should be an option:

"Exclude large files from automatic syncing"

And there should be 3 possible settings:

1. "No" (Default, behaves like today)

2. "Ask me"

3. Yes

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Beside the amount of hours to pause syncing, have an option for hours to sync.

Although you have the option to pause syncing for 2, 8, 24 hours, it would be a nice option to set the hours for syncing (i.e. 1am to 7am). Syncing unfortunately slows down the current operation of the computer. I would like my computer to respond swiftly during the day and sync slowly at night (when I'm sleeping).
    For now, maybe just add a fill-in number for hours to sync (i.e, 16, 15, etc.)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Sync any folder continuous to onedrive

It will good to sync any folder even from D or E drive other than C drive . As we have less space on local disk C and more space in D drive

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable Settings app to sync desktop themes using OneDrive “Themes” folder

I don’t like being limited to just one synced theme on Windows 10!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Require device PIN instead of Windows 2-factor authentication as an option for Personal Vault

My device PIN is very unique and doesn’t run into issues like Microsoft Authenticator on my iPhone often does!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Feedback

I'd like to not sync. I want to use OneDrive as cloud storage, period. I should be able to access files in my cloud storage from my PC, my tablet, or my phone, work the file, and then save it back to my cloud storage. There should be no need to waste storage on my devices or bandwidth syncing files back and forth. (And don't say this can't be done; I used Google Drive for many years until I got Word and Excel; apparently Microsoft and Excel don't play nice together but don't punish the user.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Enable backup of Outlook Desktop PST files on-the-fly

I've recently switched from using DropBox to OneDrive to backup my small company's files and was disappointed to learn OneDrive does not have the ability to backup my 'live' Outlook email/calendar/contacts PST files. Given Outlook Desktop is a core Microsoft app within the MS 365 suite of office apps, I believe enabling this should be a priority as it would help potentially millions of users worldwide. FYI - I am still having to resort to an external hard drive backup which is a very poor UX and manual time sink.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Extra Warnings from Accidental Deletions of Sync-ed Files, when I'm not the Owner/Creator

When Syncing locally a folder created by another user within the organization. If the person deletes some or all of the folder's contents within Windows, the deletes should not get reflected remotely without various warnings and 'Are you sure?' asked by the one drive app when performing the sync, especially since I am not the same person that created the files in the first place.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base