OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Sync overlay icons "ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" limit

There is a limit of 15 overlay icons in windows 10. Installing dropbox or google drive causes problems with sync overlay icons not appearing in onedrive (or vice versa). Why not make developers use the existing, microsoft sync overlay icons, rather than bringing their own? The 15 sync icons in "ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" would be sufficient if Microsoft required that any third party sync application such as dropbox or google drive used the same icons. After all, onedrive and dropbox both show exactly the same information in the icon overlays - synced, not synced, sync in progress and sync error.

259 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    calsan :-) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Zac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a really long standing problem. Windows only allows 15, but I just checked and there are 33 registered on my computer. Not even all of the OneDrive ones are within the first 15 and there are 3 named SkyDrive. Its impossible to know if any of these can be deleted.
        I realize this isn't just a OneDrive problem but a Windows problem.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remarks about version 17.3.7294.0108

New features and updates:

- Bug fixes to improve reliability and performance of the client.

- Users can now sync SharePoint libraries with Information Rights Management (IRM) enabled. Learn more

- Users receive notifications in Activity Center when a file update cannot finish downloading while that file is locked by a local application.

- Bug fix to avoid prompting for elevation if user is not an admin.

- Bug fix to avoid issue preventing overlays from loading correctly in certain cases.

Should be fixed with version 17.3.7294.0108, right?

• Mathe172 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assume this is addressed by the new status column in explorer? Btw, is this column also accessible to other applications like Dropbox so the fight over those 15 icons is finally over?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In new windows this will be one of the main feature- overlay will be increase to 17 :D

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Scum, Always know about issues, never willing to fix things, just sell.......SCUM

• nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please increase the number of overlay icons... 15 is not fit for purpose

• Luca Fiocchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this problem related to overlays it is not only creating problems with 'cloud' drives: I am a programmer, using TortoiseGIT, TortoiseSVN, etc... All these programs require specific overlays... You can imagine what happens while installing all that stuff: everytime You get the wrong overlay, as each one steals the place from the others...

• Bert Verschuren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox also started dropping some icons until fixing it in the registry. All 15 positions eaten up by Dropbox & OneDrive now. Google Drive icons are gone now. MS, please fix this. Multiple cloud storage is here to stay - no one will put all their eggs in 1 basket. For every vote on this forum, likely a million MS customers have the same problem but either don't get here or have no idea how to fix it.

• Wilf21 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dn't think anyone at Microsoft is listening. Funny thing is, Dropbox unerringly succeeds in using and displaying the icons, so why not Onedrive?

• androparadeigma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe if Windows get more slotes. But the problem is that some number of cloud services will give error. The solution is really make developers use the existing, microsoft sync overlay icons,

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base