OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

OneDrive sync for "Shared with you" files

Currently the sync engine only syncs your own OneDrive files/folders. If you want to view files that are shared with you, you have to go to the online interface. Please consider making the OneDrive sync support files/folders that appear under the "Shared with you" folder. It would be great if a user could choose which of the shared folders can be synced (so they're not syncing everything that was shared with them). It would also be nice if, when sharing a file, you can choose whether or not to allow the file to be synced to other user's OneDrive.

537 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Holly @ Bechtel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is already there: go to the web interface, right-click the folder that's been shared with you, and choose "Add to my OneDrive". The folder then appears in your OneDrive, and you can manage it just like any other.

• Julie Hite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please combine all ideas that are saying this same thing! Then you'll easily have over 500!

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It sort of exists. If you're in OneDrive for business and you go to the shared with me section, you then have to click Classic OneDrive. You can still can't sync files, but if you go into a folder, the sync button is then there for me. If you're not seeing the sync button then, you may want to contact your IT Admin as there is a checkbox they have to make sure is on in the OneDrive Admin center that allows the sync button to be shown.
        After syncing the folder (in this clunky way), it then creates a separate location on my computer where it syncs, rather than in the company onedrive account folder.
        This are too many footnotes and gotchas to this process. Microsoft just needs to make this seamless like all of their competitors did 10+ years ago.

• Onedrive for Business User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
      • Clement Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone. MS, add this feature for OneDrive for Business, your competitors have this feature.

• Tomasz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS, you are really extraordinary. I am paying so much money for your E5 business plan and my shared folder does not appear in my customer's personal One Drive - at all. Neither in Shared with Me, not mentioning syncing folders with their One Drive local folder.
        I am not suprised they are using Dropbox or Google Drive. I am also suprised myself - is there really a benefit to pay you so much money for E5 with these limited basic capabilities.

• Robert Leroux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone. MS, add this feature for OneDrive for Business, your competitors have this feature.

• Marla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> Do I really have to manually download a copy every time and then upload the amended copy?

Crazy! Please add this feature!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is particularly important for Microsoft Access files as I can't open a shared database that is on OneDrive nor extract data from it with PowerQuery.

Do I really have to manually download a copy every time and then upload the amended copy?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I've just learned from a Premier Support agent that with the next generation OneDrive client doesn't support syncing of files shared with a user, and I am ********. I don't normally voice such a negative opinion, but I've spent a lot of time and energy promoting OneDrive to my users, and the fact this feature was once available and no longer is is just bogus. Now I have to go back to them and tell them I was wrong.

Engineers, please get it together and return this basic file sharing feature to OneDrive. Without it, OneDrive is virtually useless and I'll have to recommend going with Dropbox or another competing service.

• Bertram Tasch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using this feature with all my Family OneDrive accounts and I'm very surprised to find out that this feature is not implemented in the OneDrive for Business application.

Surprisingly, it is in the iPhone app as well as in the Win 10 desktop app.

So please Microsoft Folks, get that implemented ASAP. It's in my opinion mandatory when using OneDrive on a Business account!

I'll need it every day multiple times to access files which are shared with me by my co workers.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is only available with business accounts, which is unfair. Why can't people with personal accounts use this feature? I

• Jason Tan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, Think this function is somehow "hidden". Stumbled upon the following:
        Try using an email link instead and one will be able to see the "Sync" option in the browser tab!
        Was able to fix this via this alternative method.

• CB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NOTE: If i used my MAC to sync folders "shared with me" to my computer...it works, but not on windows.
        And Microsoft said it´s not a problem or a bug!!!! How???? One of the major function of team work and collaboration don´t work.
        Unbelievable but it's reality.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is now working for me. Just noticed that the icon to sync is not shown in default SharePoint view ... https://o5-my.sharepoint.com/personal/xxx_my_acount_xxx/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx. However left down on the page is link to ... "Return to classic OneDrive" ... opening the page from address ... https://o5-my.sharepoint.com/personal/xxx_my_acount_xxx/Documents/Forms/SharedWithMe.aspx ... From there just enter the shared folder and you should see sync icon on the top of file list. Sync dialog is opened and files synced to local folder on PC.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed! this is a huge miss and is critical for the collaboration work my team works on

• Mathieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic feature... It's a serious problem because collaboration is all the point of having a shared with me folder. Having to access those files by going online is a major blocking point especially if all functionalities of Office are not available online! On this one... competition is doing far better!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base