OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

OneDrive sync for "Shared with you" files

Currently the sync engine only syncs your own OneDrive files/folders. If you want to view files that are shared with you, you have to go to the online interface. Please consider making the OneDrive sync support files/folders that appear under the "Shared with you" folder. It would be great if a user could choose which of the shared folders can be synced (so they're not syncing everything that was shared with them). It would also be nice if, when sharing a file, you can choose whether or not to allow the file to be synced to other user's OneDrive.

685 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Holly @ Bechtel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is now working for me. Just noticed that the icon to sync is not shown in default SharePoint view ... https://o5-my.sharepoint.com/personal/xxx_my_acount_xxx/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx. However left down on the page is link to ... "Return to classic OneDrive" ... opening the page from address ... https://o5-my.sharepoint.com/personal/xxx_my_acount_xxx/Documents/Forms/SharedWithMe.aspx ... From there just enter the shared folder and you should see sync icon on the top of file list. Sync dialog is opened and files synced to local folder on PC.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed! this is a huge miss and is critical for the collaboration work my team works on

• Mathieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic feature... It's a serious problem because collaboration is all the point of having a shared with me folder. Having to access those files by going online is a major blocking point especially if all functionalities of Office are not available online! On this one... competition is doing far better!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are switching from Google Drive to OneDrive and are now having hesitation because this feature is not available. The Drive syncing in Google Drive is much more user friendly.

Another big loss moving to OneDrive is the fact that people can not personally organize there shared and personal files anymore. With OneDrive they are completely separate.
    With Google Drive you are able to make personal folders and place both personally owned and shared files within each personal folder.

Good news! This feature, long awaited, is finally here. please try it out. you must have the latest version of OneDrive for Business. don't worry if you're not, you'll be prompted when you click 'Sync' under the portal's "Shared with Me" folders.

When will this be sorted out Microsoft? This is ridiculous and everyone else offers it - Dropbox, Box, Google Drive etc

Totally useless feature

• Peter Bech-Lutzka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please take a look at Citrix Sharefile Sync Client. In preferences it's possible to check which "Shared with you folders" you want to auto-sync to your desktop client. It's a much needed feature in OD4B.

My company has to use Dropbox for Business because OneDrive does not support this very basic feature. I am unable to collaborate and work on the same projects with my colleague - how is that efficient?

I agree. Syncing individual "shared with me"-files would be great for document collaboration in our environment.

• Jabreu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree.
    Currently we have a paid service of google drive just to allow us to have this feature, because Onedrive for business hasn't this simple feature.
    In google drive we even are able to share inside our organization (google drive for work users) and outside or organization with user with Google drive free, just with a few clicks.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base