OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Enable sync client to allow editable synching of team sites with mandatory metadata columns

As at 23rd Jan 2017 the newly relased One Drive for Business synch client enables synching of Team sites BUT if any libraries have mandatory meta data or require check out, the synched folder/library is read only. This cripples collaboration by teams on documents. This needs to be fixed

1,775 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mark Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

116 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • nicolle.brice2@bhp.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a premiere support ticket. Ticket #:13695302

A few weeks ago, several document libraries started syncing in Read Only mode. The cause – several columns suddenly became mandatory behind the scenes.

The site content types show the columns as optional, but mandatory columns from the base content type have re-appeared behind the scenes – hidden from view.

Fix
    1.Go to “Library Settings” > “Advanced Settings”
    2.In the first option, choose “No” on “Allow management of content type”
    3.Then the column will display the “Required” tab in the library settings as my following first screenshot
    4.Click the columns which are required, and change to option “Require that this column contains information” to No

5.After changing the columns back to optional, the folder in OneDrive should become available immediately

6.Then go back to “Advanced Settings”, and enable content types again

7.Finally, check that the files are again editable in OneDrive.

this is a bug. We have asked Microsoft to investigate what changed. We have this problem for thousands of libraries and the workaround is unacceptable.

• Koen Vereecken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My first day of testing with required metadata and I'm bumping into this horrible shortcoming... yes very much needed

• Dion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the rationale behind required metadata and syncing files in read-only mode?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This syncing issue is a horrible user experience and may be the reason why my company chooses not to move forward with its O365 license.

• Vicki Little commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been going on far too long and now there are issues syncing with the old groove.exe One Drive for Business, I'm sure orchestrated by Microsoft. If One Drive for Business could do it, I'm sure that Microsoft can figure a way to make it work with the new one Drive Client since that is what they want us to use. This is ridiculous!!!!

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An essential feature and being able to sync with mandatory columns can't come soon enough

• Doug Peterman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Think about this from the perspective of Enterprise Records Management requirements. Many organizations manage content using managed metadata for multiple purposes including views, records retention, etc. Setting columns to be required helps to enforce this metadata. Not allowing users to edit files with required metadata using OD4B sync severely impacts adoption of SharePoint Online by essentially taking away the familiar file explorer user experience. The lack of this feature negatively affects many large organizations. This issue directly conflicts with the recommendation at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/troubleshoot-mapped-network-drives-that-connect-to-sharepoint-online-ef399c67-4578-4c3a-adbe-0b489084eabe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US. This has now been a problem for over 2 years, please take this seriously.

• Valérie P-R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Les usagers qui commencent à utiliser SharePoint dans mon organisation ont besoin d'être guidés et veulent voir l'astérisque rouge à côté des champs obligatoires. Quand pourront nous indiquer des colonnes obligatoires, sans que la synchronisation ne soit en lecture seule, et sans que les documents restent checked-out ?

This absolutely has to change. IRM/DLP is becoming a mandatory feature for sensitive data and telling customers they have to pick between regulatory/security and OneDrive is ridiculous and massively damages workflow continuity.

Same issue here. Users are pulling their hair cause of this. why you collect feedbacks if you dont want to make any changes. you are driving your users away.

This severely limits versioning control on SP sites.

Please make serious and a more timely review on this to allow editing through the sync client again.

Thank You!

• Spencer McCallum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is this? A SharePoint for ants? How can we be expected to teach users to learn SharePoint Online... if they can't even sync required metadata to file explorer?

Derek, this is just a small...

I don't wanna hear your excuses! The feature has to be used by at least... 1,496 more users than this!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base