OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Enable syncing of files across O365 organizations

Many customers wan't the option to collaborate with OneDrive cross o365 organization, and have the option to sync the shared files with OneDrive. Right now you are only able to sync files shared within your own o365 organization. Right now the only option is to browse to the shared link and access the files. Trying to use "sync" will result in an error in OneDrive (next gen sync client) as shown in attached file.

2,393 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Steinar Karlsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Fennix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading all 112 comments, this feature es very important for all users. This is a characteristic essential for any organization. Please Microsoft fix issue quickly. Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely this is basic/standard stuff?! Come on microsoft, we are paying a lot of money for office 365 and can't sync files with external contractors? I could do this on dropbox for free!

• Chris Hutchinson - TechAlign Ltd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs sorting for us to be able to collaborate with partner organisations/suppliers. This is clearly (based on this suggestion and all the comments) not an uncommon requirement.

• Tamas Maffey-Stumpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix asap!!! In our small business we are using sharepoint and onedrive as a Document Management System but we have external users (from our 0365 organization) that also need to be able to access this system easily and contribute. Being able to sync files is the easiest way for us to do this. If other products can do this, why can't microsoft? Please please fix asap! You will lose customers over this

• Matt S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My organization was hoping to migrate from Box to OneDrive... this is going to be a major sticking point. I figured this was just standard functionality. Please fix!

If this was possible this would be a breach of security. What if you get hacked (not knowingly) and the hacker starts sharing the files with himself? Then the hacker would be able to sync any of your files locally. If this was rolled out, this would be a high security risk!!!

• Nicolas Deslandes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is unbelievable. As others have mentioned this is a basic requirement to be able to sync shared folder with external contractors. How is this still just "on your radar"???
    It's been more than a year that this request has been opened! I'm very disappointed; we just moved from Dropbox to OneDrive; had we known about this the decision might have been very different.
    Please at least give us some idea as to when or whether this will ever be implemented.

• uservoice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will probably never happen now a the new sharing method (link with code) is completely different to the previous method where you singed in with your Microsoft account.

Unless the OneDrive client can be updated to support the link with code method?

• Andreas Ratzke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news regarding the implementation schedule? This will be a great feature to work together with other companies by using one data pool which is connected to each Windows Explorer.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current status is not acceptable for us. It is a basic requirement to sync data with external contractors.

We share some of our notebooks with extern freelancers who use older versions of office and don't use a business tenant. Sharing with their ...@outlook.de accounts would be great. At the moment we have to offer an account of our tenant for them. The online version is slow and awkward and no real option.

• Chad Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started migrating a non-profit organization from Dropbox to OneDrive for Business when I discovered it wasn't possible to share OD4B or SharePoint libraries with personal OneDrive accounts. I'll have to wait for the feature to be added back to the product before continuing.

• Thyran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently opened a case with Microsoft Ticket #10665874 on how to share files from a office 365 account to an external user with a personal one drive account and have the external user sync the files to their local device. After various testing with different methods attempting to do it from one drive or sharepoint document libraries Microsoft have come back and confirmed this is a product limitation and although the previous groove.exe agent was capable of doing this the next generation agent is not capable of it anymore. They suggested I come to this website and request this feature. I see this feature has already been requested hence my post here on this thread. Please Microsoft allow our clients to share files and folders with people outside their organization so I can stop referring our clients to a third party cloud document provider such as DropBox. DropBox has this feature and it is very easy to use.

• CKennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been done yet? We went to lengths to get OneDrive for a client and now we can't even share folders with them.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. Would have thought this was a no brainer...
    Please escalate this!

I still can not believe this has not been rectified or at least explained why it is not being looked at. As others have said below this is yet another nail in the coffin of what used to be a great product.

• Kristoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have waited a long time for this, but it's not even made it to the roadmap. There's also another post here with close to 500 votes: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/7881969-allow-external-onedrive-for-business-users-to-sync

If you wait too long with this you are forcing customers like us to jump ship and pay for a competing product, and once that happens - how are you planning to get those customers back? In our case, the project of evaluating alternatives has started. If the external sync doesn't get more attention soon then I'm going to have an impossible job convincing employees to stay with OneDrive for Business.

Feedback and Knowledge Base