OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Enable syncing of files across O365 organizations

Many customers wan't the option to collaborate with OneDrive cross o365 organization, and have the option to sync the shared files with OneDrive. Right now you are only able to sync files shared within your own o365 organization. Right now the only option is to browse to the shared link and access the files. Trying to use "sync" will result in an error in OneDrive (next gen sync client) as shown in attached file.

2,393 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Steinar Karlsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy cow, we're trying to transition to O365/Sharepoint from Google services and just ran into this issue. I'm confused as to how this can seem appropriate to MSFT. I cannot bring my company onto O365 if we can't sync external organizational documents onto our computers. I understand Mr. Pearce is not a developer, or probably even a decision maker in MSFT, but this is not an odd 'scenario' or a 'nice to have' addition, it is basic functionality that I cannot live without.

• Thomas Salvisberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Douglas Pearce: To deal with multiple o365 identities is getting more common with schools/universities including 365 plans for their students and collaboration between companies. I don't think it was intended that ONE-drive means you only can sync with ONE tenant only! What happened to "mobile first" when mobile users with shaky internet connections can't access their files (try working on a train if you don't know what I mean). So for the third time since August 2017: do you plan to a address this issue and if yes, when?

• Beverly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We collaborate with many external folks and would love them to have the option to sync files to their computers!

• Michael Holmes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Douglas, is there any time frame on this please? I have recently half moved a company from Dropbox to Sharepoint and I can't move the rest until this is added. They are all on Macs if that version of the onedrive app could be updated first ;-)

• Niklas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature! Tinking of dropping O365 as we can't work with our customers anymore. We have ot move to Dropbox.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major problem for us. We may have to move to DropBox if it is not included ASAP.

Do you have a date for release of this, we have external users to our SP sites that need to sync up the document library! Please can you add this functionality asap!

• Bruno Kanieski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, it should be a trivial problem to solve. Dropbox and other competitors have an intuitive way to share folder; onedrive somehow cannot share among different organizations.

Please suggest an alternative asap.

• Sunil Sharma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a work around present for this? My partners access a lot of documents from their O365 account. Accessing over web link is quite time consuming causing a loss in productivity. Please suggest an alternative asap.

• Ari Z. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need a solution ASAP. Can't compete against Dropbox and Google Drive without this feature @Douglas Pearce !

Tinking of dropping O365 as we can't work with our customers anymore.

• Ebin John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this?
    Any timeframe that can be shared!

We need to roll out OneDrive for multiple tenants, but without this feature, we are dead in out tracks!!

Need a solution ASAP!

• Andrew Parkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our client runs a chain of hotels. Each hotel has its own O365 tenancy with SharePoint sites. Management have their own tenancy for organizational data on SharePoint. Management need to be able to sync the SharePoint data from the other tenancy SharePoint sites. It does not make sense to have a licenced account for each user on each tenancy in our scenario. We do not wish to merge each tenancy into one as the hotels are to be later sold. Please allow this feature.

no one can solve this problem from supporting team.........never use onedrive for business and change to use Dropbox instead.

How do you expect to compete with Dropbox et al when you disable business critical features like this when releasing new versions?

• Iain Wyatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have just encountered this issue, need a resolution soon. can we get an indication of the timescale on this?

Feedback and Knowledge Base