OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Reassess the possibility to ignore or exclude selected OneDrive folders and files from the sync process.

It would be great to be able to ignore or exclude selected files and folders within the OneDrive folder from syncing. It has been requested a few times before and solves user problems in a variety of areas: from software developers having problems with temporary build files and node_modules folders, through users who want to ignore sync problems (or issues like waiting days for a file to upload on a slow connection) by ignoring files in sync, to users who want to ignore files and folders created by applications, especially photo applications. There are many use cases where this feature would be a solution.

It might also be the case that a feature would reduce the number of support requests and user dissatisfaction, since users would have a way to fix various issues themselves (there is probably more applicable scenarios than described above) by desyncing a file or folder causing problems.

I know this feature has been requested before, and has received the status 'not right now', therefore I have termed this request 'reassess', to determine if the 'not right now' status is still the state of this feature request. I have collected the IDs of the uservoice requests for which this feature would be a solution (listed at the end of the request), summing the votes on these requests, this feature has a total of 549 votes, which would place at about the 35th position, among other requests which have status of 'working on it' or 'thinking about it'.

Thanks for your consideration!

The IDs of the related uservoice issues are: 6988070,10720758,10932591,10778649,10954851,11301837,11344905,11654178,13452462,15748891,17236724,8026992,15017205,17169314,18429295,7290507,11625105,12915153,13541754,16044514,7927728

1,109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    William Clear shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kyle Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, having it sync My Documents without any configuration options is too annoying. Easier to uninstall and use a different program.

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I kike the idea to confire a ".ondrive-exclusions" file in my mac to exclude from the backup, some unwanted files.

• jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many years have passed, i think try other sync drive. bye stupid microsoft.

• Achim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is urgently needed because not all application support separation of generated content and user content. Microsoft applications are among those that can't.

• Not Realname commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is *still* an issue for me. I use OneDrive to sync my laptop, which I use for general use, and my desktop, which is only used for gaming and occasional video editing. The OneDrive client can exclude folders from being synced but ALSO hides that folder from apps and the user and gives no option not to do so.
        This plays havoc with programs such as games and when developing, which use the Documents folder to store user settings - Assassin's Creed Odyssey has a folder containing its cache, meaning that every time I play the game it starts an endless loop of replacing files and uploading them, as does the RuneScape client.

It really says something when I can use the unofficial onedrive client on Ubuntu under KDE and have more control over its behaviour!

• A.Zwegers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the current "solution" doesn't take into account that some applications (eg. autocad) will create temporary (or lock) files in the folder of the shared files. These will instantly create a "Onedrive needs your attention" status because they are "in use by". Being able to exclude (such) extensions/filetypes would be highly useful. Alternatively give an option let Onedrive ignore hidden files (as such files usually are) - which is also a good idea security wise.

• Eduardo Calzado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most important needed feature. Being able to select by file type and folders is seriously important. It can break sync if you don't do it, and the alternative is to just not have it in OneDrive, which should be understandably NOT A SOLUTION.

• James N. Rzepka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be helpful especially with the known folder redirection feature. Now that my desktop and documents sync, there are a few exceptions that I'd like to exclude. Default.rdp, for example, is very annoying as I tend to use different settings between the PCs I sync (I use different resolutions based on window sizes for the local monitor) and there's no way to currently keep this separated anymore.

• Keith Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential for Visual Studio developers - I am continually syncing endless trace and web temporary files backwards and forwards and, more than once, it's made my OneDrive fall over and I've had to restart it - We need to be able to exclude these folders that common apps use for temporary LOCAL storage!

• Andreas Strandfelt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Some games, e.g. Football Manager, store custom graphics content in a subfolder of the Documents directory. I'd like to be able to filter these folders out while still keeping my save game file, which are also stored in this directory.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am looking forward using a ".odignore" file!!!
        i know that this would not be a solution for the average user but it would be a great "poweruser" feature.

A LOT OF applications do not give you any choice so as to WHERE save files are stored ! I have >500Go save files from games. When I hit the limit I will simply have to stop using onedrive.... Shame on windows 10 for imposing onedrive unfinished and more annoying than ever --'

• Kevin Brock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All we need is a .odignore file and OneDrive would be such a powerful service. I have many Node.js test projects in OneDrive so I can work from multiple machines without trashing my git history. The downside is all of my node_modules folder also get synced, when I could simply npm install on whatever machine I'm using... Please implement this!

• David Matten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's obscene that this is not implemented, especially since it is available in the Business version of the service.

The earlier comment about OneDrive ignoring .tmp files is not true, though. I have Office .tmp files that get synced.

The Product Manager who replied "just put those files in another directory" is either a **** or a jerk, when such things are often out of the control of the user when "real" and tmp files are often comingled in the same directory... a la Microsoft Office!!!

I wouldn't even mind if it was a simple Android style ".nomedia" type file that you create anywhere to tell OneDrive to ignore it. Having to move project build folders, python virtual environments, etc. outside of the root folder somewhere is a pain in the butt.

• Ion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark git is very limited and you can still use git with a project stored on OneDrive. Both text editors and IDEs have had autosave for ages now and git makes you go back to manual saving. Please vote for this.

• Lukas Doupal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To geophi, no, there is no such an option. We have been talking here about exclusion of subfolders or files of the main folder marked to be in sync with OneDrive. This is serious issue. Nice example, conflict of cloud based applications, app is installing some data (typicaly games or others) into your Documents folder (not changeable anyhow), which you keep entirely in sync with OneDrive (and cannot change if this is for example nowadays now quite common corporate setting). Double cloud sync in this case could lead to bsod... And many other examples that were mentioned in the two linked forums here for the last 3 year. My company pays for OD, I pay also my personal one. I would like to have a solution where supplier is listening to customers, otherwise it makes no sense. Thank you.

• geophi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think OneDrive already has this option. If you right click on any file or folder inside the OneDrive folder, there is an option "Choose OneDrive folders to sync". A window will pop up and from there you can exclude from syncing any folder or file you want. If the new window takes too long to load your files, then just pause syncing for a few seconds and push start again.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base