OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Reassess the possibility to ignore or exclude selected OneDrive folders and files from the sync process.

It would be great to be able to ignore or exclude selected files and folders within the OneDrive folder from syncing. It has been requested a few times before and solves user problems in a variety of areas: from software developers having problems with temporary build files and node_modules folders, through users who want to ignore sync problems (or issues like waiting days for a file to upload on a slow connection) by ignoring files in sync, to users who want to ignore files and folders created by applications, especially photo applications. There are many use cases where this feature would be a solution.

It might also be the case that a feature would reduce the number of support requests and user dissatisfaction, since users would have a way to fix various issues themselves (there is probably more applicable scenarios than described above) by desyncing a file or folder causing problems.

I know this feature has been requested before, and has received the status 'not right now', therefore I have termed this request 'reassess', to determine if the 'not right now' status is still the state of this feature request. I have collected the IDs of the uservoice requests for which this feature would be a solution (listed at the end of the request), summing the votes on these requests, this feature has a total of 549 votes, which would place at about the 35th position, among other requests which have status of 'working on it' or 'thinking about it'.

Thanks for your consideration!

The IDs of the related uservoice issues are: 6988070,10720758,10932591,10778649,10954851,11301837,11344905,11654178,13452462,15748891,17236724,8026992,15017205,17169314,18429295,7290507,11625105,12915153,13541754,16044514,7927728

1,650 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
William Clear shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gerge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like how as you scroll responses to the top voted suggestions this one is conveniently skipped.

• Tim Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have games I play on one computer and sometimes depending on what is going on another computer. They have different monitor sizes and different video cards. Games tend to save the settings in the documents folder..and it causes no end of havoc having to reset everything to go from one to another. if I tell it to not sync a file or folder, it removes it form the documents folder. I just want to say 'ignore this file/folder' and leave it there.

• Neil Gaetano Lindberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is redonkulous. How about a .oneignore or ANYTHING supporting ignoring a directory, especially within VSCode...? Being prompted to delete 20,000 files from OneDrive everytime I do versioning updating on a NodeJS project is just durh.

• Mike D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yo, MS, wtf, how does a mutli-billion $$ operation not consider. You wonder why people complain about you so much.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is simply a MUST HAVE feature.
    Why we still don't have it?
    There are a lot of files and/or folders that we may not want to sync with OneDrive, while other files/folders could be in the same place and uploaded normally.
    This would save MS and users bandwidth and avoid syncing problems.

It's time to add this "feature" - really it's just a common sense item for any sync engine.

• Emmanuel C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This a an easy feature to implement and would save a lot of frustration and wasted internet data for everyone.

While I enjoy this "new Microsoft" and their products, the lack of attention to the community is terrible. Why can't we have this feature? I'm using the Windows Feedback Hub for a lot of things, but Microsoft simply ignores their users.

• Matteo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's an essential feature for developers, for example we need to exclude sourcecontrol/subversion files...

• DanW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need OneDrive to just ignore files with certain extensions to prevent sync blockage. I don't really care if these file types are synced but OneDrive always gets hung up trying to sync them and then doesn't sync anything until the associated software is closed.

Either give functionality to ignore filetypes or just the better thing may be to fix your sync so that it just doesn't get tripped up with "file open by application" errors.

Overall, we're very frustrated with OneDrive / Sharepoint.

• David Lafferty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply need to be able to block certain files from uploading. Business accounts can but I can't? WTF???

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is Microsoft's chance to stand out... No other similar software has this feature, but it's been years and this stupidly simple feature is still not in. I just want to choose which folder or file is synced and which one isn't. Are people still working on this or is it abandoned?

• Víctor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As everyone is saying: The feature is not complicated and it will improve OneDrive considerably. We would appreciate this functionality. Thank you.

Not being able to exclude the my games full der is causing all of my steam games to crash. This is ridiculous. I cannot believe in the 21st century that this is not a feature.

• Nik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it not be just as easy as adding an add on that gives each file in the sync folders the option to bypass in a contextual menu? So that if Documents is syncing with OneDrive, we can right click on a folder/file that we rather not have synced and select a "Keep local" or "Store on This PC" option." Or even the exact opposite would be ideal. Keep "This PC's Documents" separate from OneDrive's and then the user could go to each individual folder, right click, and pick an option that syncs that specific folder and its contents only. For example, I had a .log file that would update after a process was closed but while it was in use the whole time it was trying to process the changes in the file as it was updating. There may be some .log files that I want backed-up where as this one is more of a nuisance than anything.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My organization has our "My Documents" folder sync'd to OneDrive. IISExpress is constantly adding and deleting files. I then get this "We noticed that you recently deleted a large number of files from your OneDrive. " notice. I don't need these log files sync'd to OneDrive, however, I do need the folders there locally.

Please implement this feature.

• Lord_Romzess_V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want to note that within the framework of filtering synchronized folders, it would be appropriate to introduce the filtering function of files by their extensions. For example, it would be convenient to be able to add some specific file extensions to the list of exceptions.

I explain in my situation: I use additional programs to synchronize two folders on my computer (some kind of cloud storage technology for games: files from the "My Documents" folder are sent to the "OneDrive" folder, which transfers them to the cloud and already on another computer, the original program can pick them up from the “OneDrive” folder in your “My Documents” folder). The program for its work creates temporary files in the synchronized folders. Of course, OneDrive is trying to upload them to the server. In the end, this leads to the download and duplication of unnecessary files in the cloud. If I could tell OneDrive not to synchronize files with the .gs and .gsl extensions, this problem would not exist.

(Sorry for machine-English, but Google know language better me)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base