OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Reassess the possibility to ignore or exclude selected OneDrive folders and files from the sync process.

It would be great to be able to ignore or exclude selected files and folders within the OneDrive folder from syncing. It has been requested a few times before and solves user problems in a variety of areas: from software developers having problems with temporary build files and node_modules folders, through users who want to ignore sync problems (or issues like waiting days for a file to upload on a slow connection) by ignoring files in sync, to users who want to ignore files and folders created by applications, especially photo applications. There are many use cases where this feature would be a solution.

It might also be the case that a feature would reduce the number of support requests and user dissatisfaction, since users would have a way to fix various issues themselves (there is probably more applicable scenarios than described above) by desyncing a file or folder causing problems.

I know this feature has been requested before, and has received the status 'not right now', therefore I have termed this request 'reassess', to determine if the 'not right now' status is still the state of this feature request. I have collected the IDs of the uservoice requests for which this feature would be a solution (listed at the end of the request), summing the votes on these requests, this feature has a total of 549 votes, which would place at about the 35th position, among other requests which have status of 'working on it' or 'thinking about it'.

Thanks for your consideration!

The IDs of the related uservoice issues are: 6988070,10720758,10932591,10778649,10954851,11301837,11344905,11654178,13452462,15748891,17236724,8026992,15017205,17169314,18429295,7290507,11625105,12915153,13541754,16044514,7927728

2,494 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
William Clear shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

115 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Adam Piskorski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who would like a solution soon (or now if a beta is acceptable), Insync (3rd party sync client for Google Drive) will be fully supporting OneDrive: https://www.insynchq.com/3

I use it for Google Drive on Windows and Linux. On Windows, it offers a superior experience to the Google one (less CPU usage and more features) and it's a first-class citizen on both OSs, and of course, supports ignore patterns.
    It's a paid app though, but it's a one time purchase.

• Serius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a simple solution similar to .gitignore would do it. Cannot believe this was rejected!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're rolling onedrive out for a large number of users and it would be nice to have the feature to block sync for certain folders. (Onenote Notebooks) for example. Also a security setting to prevent user from closing the application both by right click menu of the taskbar icon and also prevent them from using the End task button on the onedrive.exe in the task manager.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been using one drive for over a year. Please allow us to exempt certain files and file types. I'm getting calls daily on OneDrive not syncing due to the desktop.ini files and utilizes a lot of resources to field these calls.

• Philip McConnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have only been using OneDrive a few weeks now and I can see us going with another product shortly. This is specifically down to the inability to properly manage file type exclusions. Crazy this was not implemented years ago.

• jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1This is such an oversight. Many of the other cloud sync products have this capability.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft GitHub package registry is in beta so promoting nodes use in GitHub and Microsoft products. It would be good then for onedrive to work effectively with node modules by allowing them to be excluded like in GitHub.

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several proposals like this, since years. But nothing happens. Is even someone of Microsoft reading this?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To extend William's idea, probably a .onedriveignore file could be the solution, where we could place the path of files and folders with or without wildcards and possible file types as well like *.jpg.

The .onedriveignore file should be processed in each folder, so we could have ignore different things in different folders.

In case a file was synced before but now it's under a ignore rule, the file we should receive an email alerting about the situation and the file should go into the recycle bin after 7 days.

• Ilea Patrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have mods and temp files in my users folder, created by apps and games.. The mods are also too large things, and i do not want to sync it to my cloud, i simply want to ignore them, also, i want to ignore the temp files and folders.. There should be a .oneignore file or something like that, like in GIT... There is no reason not to implement this!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base