OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

New Sync Integration cant handle required fields / basic SharePoint integration

As the old OneDrive for Business is being phased out the OneDrive for Business software stops working and throws an error that you need to move to the latest sync client. After being forced to upgrade we have found out that the new sync client doesn't handle syncing libraries with:

'Checkout, Required columns or metadata, or when Draft Item Security is set to either Only users who can edit or Only users who can approve items in Version Settings of the library'

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125202/restrictions-and-limitations-when-you-sync-files-and-folders

Any libraries meeting these conditions will be synced as Read Only so that users can't edit any files. This completely defeats the purpose of SharePoint where the power comes from metadata, checkout and permissions and has made the Onedrive client unusable for any business users. I can only assume this is a massive oversight by the MS team..?

This behaviour needs to be addressed. The correct behaviour would be for the sync to allow editing of files if the metadata has already been filled in and the file has been checked in while if the file is checked out or has not had the metadata populated to remain read only.

To confuse things further the sync behaviour does work correctly if a library has a site content type added with required fields etc, however once the library level columns are changed to mandatory and the content type inheritance is broken it all fails.

344 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Peter White shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • FABIAN MEDINA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having this issue in our organization. We are adapting OneDrive but would also like to leverage metadata so that a user has the option to sync and be able to filter on the columns. This helps the user NOT use folder so that data becomes visible and not seem "hidden"

• Patrick Eddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge issue. If OneDrive is how we have to sync Sharepoint, it needs to support the most basic of Sharepoint's features. Checkout functionality is core to using Sharepoint and controlling documents on Sharepoint.
    Now all I can tell users is, you have to go through a clunky Sharepoint interface which is incapable of loading the view for all the folders at once, open online, then select open in Excel or Word. This adds minutes of time to open every file for every user for no conceivable reason.
    I have upvoted the same absolutely basic suggestion dozens of times on every incarnation of this feedback system for almost two years. Why is this getting ignored? This is an absolute basic requirement for OneDrive's compatibility with Sharepoint.

• Matthew Kane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sync feature must be able to handle Require Check Out library documents and not force them as read-only. Even if I check out a document in SharePoint, the document will only open as read-only because it's synced. Stopping the sync and opening directly from SharePoint works, but is not a real solution to the problem.

• James Webber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recently moved from 2013 SP and this is a big issue for us. Users don't realise the sync is read only, I am having to disable syncing of all libraries and also stop the syncing so people can continue to work. Its not useful if someone does not have an internet connection.

• Michael Del Corso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

18 months later and not even a comment from Microsoft. That is very disappointing. This is a huge limitation and a major problem.

• JM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another problem with this is that if you open a file on the browser of a sync drive it also opens has read only.
    If you stop the sync it opens ok.

• Paul N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this! We have hundreds of document libraries which used to sync without issue. Now everything is broken. Removed metadata fields and mandatory columns is *not* an option.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there really needs to be a way to check out files using onedrive sync. Users are WAYYYY more comfortable using file explorer as an interface to access files than the 'clunkier" sharepoint web interfaces. It is also vastly superior when doing any type of file management tasks such as moving documents/folders around or doing any type of "bulk tasks"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Originally when I started to see an issue with the libraries that I sync I thought something had just errored or been adjusted incorrectly. I have been a big proponent of SharePoint libraries but basically breaking the ability to sync and edit files in a library that has required fields has really started to shift my thoughts to looking at other options.

• Oz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our business has two key requirements of its IT - good document management and remote working. With this fundamental flaw in SharePoint / OneDrive syncing we can either have one or the other, not both. This is therefore preventing adoption of what could, and should, be a great tool.

• Miguel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fiddlering around, noticed that : "Permissions, ForceCheckOut, ContentApproval, RequiredColumn, DocumentParser, DraftItemSecurity, ItemLevelPermissions" plus IRM are the ones to look for, if the padlock appears. Would be nice to get at least a script from MS, to stop searching for one of the causes ...

• Gaurav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't get what is the point of read-only syncing in such scenarios then? Any library created for business processes & collaboration WILL have mandatory columns! And Microsoft has disabled editing such documents in the new version and calling it NEXT GEN ... what a joke. Any progress update would be really appreciative.

• Alistair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, this is an appalling development - I have just had a client ranting at me because their document management system, which they paid to have created for them, suddenly doesn't work.
    I cannot believe that this was an intentional development, but it is a death-knell for many company clients who were using and planning on using SharePoint as a DMS. Absolutely crazy idea:
    I have told my client that we can remove the "required" element, but then we know that users will simply upload files, become distracted and not assign the correct meta-data to the documents and they will end up with hundreds of unclassified documents - UNLESS of course, I allow the creation of folders within document libraries...
    What a ridiculous situation to be in

• Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most annoying problem with SharePoint. I have recently set up libraries with required fields and it instantly locks my documents synced to my PC. What's the point.

Any update? Very large customers are experiencing difficulty with this missing functionality that was once there with Groove. Thanks!

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? That's a big problem for us. This "issue" has to be solved urgently!

• Martinus Hamers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

With the following sentence are you referring to the OneDrive library or the original library?

"Any libraries meeting these conditions will be synced as Read Only so that users can't edit any files."

I can confirm that for us the users that sync an online library with OneDrive can also not edit the original library files anymore. Check out is properly offered but the file stays in Read Only mode within the local application.

Peter good catch this is a massive backwards step from Microsoft and one that might make us move away.

Feedback and Knowledge Base