OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Verrrrrrrrry Slow

OneDrive is pathetically slow with uploads. For at least the last two weeks, it's been closer to dial up speeds. It can take hours to upload 500 meg. Historically, I haven't seen uploads faster than very low broadband speeds. I have a decent broadband connection - can stream HD movies and do other things simultaneously. I'm truly sick of it. What's more amazing...I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER. I'm not just using the free version. I would expect slower speeds if I were only using the free version. But to pay money and get this, pitiful.

844 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bob N. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ron Tippelt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am here with the exact same issue. I have a brand new HP with a SSD and just registered 60 Mbps Upload and Download on speedtest.net. When I attempt to upload a few gigs worth of photos straight from my internal SSD to OneDrive, I am averaging 1 Mbps. I cannot believe that my paid product is so embarrassingly slow. I too hope that a fix comes soon or I will be ditching OneDrive for good.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found that the free version is WAAAAY faster than OneDrive for Business, which I am paying for. I have had a sync running for 8 days already and it still has 3100 files to go. I can come back in 2019 and I doubt it will be done.

I have been waiting a week for the sync to complete, speeds is about 0,2kb/sec. My internet speed i 1GB/1GB. Then I turned off "sync on demand". BOOM!!! Speed up to 15mb/sec.

A factor 75.000 faster

• RONALD D JONES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also am a paying customer and it just drives me crazy to go in the next morning and OneDrive is still processing 6 files. This is very unacceptable

• John S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this same issue with large upload batches from my Mac (uploading about 13GB worth of data from a prior DropBox repository into a SharePoint location on Office 365 tenant) and figured out resolution myself after unsuccessful calls to MS Support: SOLUTION: turn OFF "Files on Demand". Once off, I got normal upload speeds.

My HD crashed few day ago so I had to reinstall windows and all on new HD. After all that it was time to turn the onedrive on and resync the the few files I have changed in meantime. IT HAS BEEN AT IT FOR PAST 3 DAYS!!!! And its still not synced. I reinstalled the onedrive, reset it unlinked it and all and NOTHING has helped. This is just ridicules. I had never had problem with onedrive but now its totaly worthless since it doesn't sync my FILES!

This has been going on for years. I have tried using only one computer on line to upload and a simple file with 2gigs takes days. Totally unacceptable. Does Microsoft have a fix. I will never buy another product from Microsoft unless this is fixed. I have already wasted countless hours trying different methods, different computers, and different inter nets and always unsuccessful

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is trying to sale cloud everywhere for everyone. Solutions for SMBs, Enterprises, ... With a service like this one.. The partners who want to go to Microsoft strategy and follow the trends are not supported by the MS support..
        We are facing issues for a lot of clients, they complain, we can explain wathever we want but they don't care as we advise them and finally we are the bullsh.. and Microsoft continue to earn money..

We need a real Sharepoint sync with a fast upload, with a better "processing changes" feature, with a real support helping us and not just a company that let their customers alone facing complains.

• Tushar Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very slow download speeds of the files that i am uploading. Friends are all complaining of pathetic download speeds(near 40KBPS). We tried changing internet connections, Wifi, Jio, all giving very slow download speeds. I uploaded using university wifi and it uploaded happily at 2MBPS. Youtube(1080p) and all other sites are working very fast, no problem with connection for sure. Please find and fix the issue ASAP, which probably seems to be from your end. Whats the benefit of having 1TB of space, when you cant even share files with total size of 688mb also :/ :/ :/

• Vishal Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have done a comparison for our enterprise users. OneDrive for Business is 5x to 10x slower compared to Google Drive, Box, DropBox. The disparity becomes larger with larger files.

Before you point to our networks, the comparison has been done on private and public networks. Even done on VMs running in Microsoft Azure. The relative performance difference is the same.

With all services, the cloud data centers are in the same geographical location of West US.

SharePoint and OneDrive is just not working well for collaboration due to their slowness. Slow transfers mean constant document merge conflicts and inadvertent overwrites.

It doesn't matter how many more features exist in OneDrive and SharePoint - but if the core performance of the toolsets isn't there, there's no getting work done.

• pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thing here, and it's not a connection or hardware problem. With my previous computer (which was a good 5 years old) sync was perfect. Now it takes ages, and this is causing people a lot of problems when trying to access files in the cloud, as you often discover that the latest version of a file got stuck in the computer and didn't upload before you closed the lid. Worst still, it has been about two years that I hear people complaining about this issue, and MS still didn't fix it. Talk about incompetence. Two years, that's unbelievable...

• Ion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really Slow in Chicago IL, USA.
        I have PDF files that are like 100-200 KB, and they stay more than a month in one drive on my computer, and its still not uploaded, so the service is not usable at this quallity, or lack of it.

Will try other services like google drive too, to see if that is any faster.

It is painfully slow because it does a lot of unnecessary disk writes. It is far better if you have a quick SSD. It will also get hung up on the many file types it can't deal with and just stop.

• Mario Cipriano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have nearly all of the cloud services nothing and I mean NOTHING is slower than OneDrive. I have been syncing Uploading 50mb of 604mb and the upload speed is 0.0kb syncing 56,858 files to go. How long has it been syncing - a week - yes a week - 90% of the time the computer where Onedrive is installed in not in use. It just sits there on my 100 x 30 mb internet connection. The same files will sync to Dropbox in less than 24 hours.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not done a speed comparison recently of OneDrive but it doesn't feel that much worse than Google Drive. But in general, all the cloud storage systems feel a little slow sometimes.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft fellas,
        You are killing OneDrive by pretending not to see what's happening here and not giving us a fix, or at least an answer.
        At least in Australia (maybe wider) the app is synchronising incredibely slow, and mess up the whole internet connexion, with all devices using it. (No Netflix, no Spotify, nothing, a google search takes 15 sec !)

Please, acknowledge the problem here and do something about it before we're all gone for google drive...

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base