OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Verrrrrrrrry Slow

OneDrive is pathetically slow with uploads. For at least the last two weeks, it's been closer to dial up speeds. It can take hours to upload 500 meg. Historically, I haven't seen uploads faster than very low broadband speeds. I have a decent broadband connection - can stream HD movies and do other things simultaneously. I'm truly sick of it. What's more amazing...I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER. I'm not just using the free version. I would expect slower speeds if I were only using the free version. But to pay money and get this, pitiful.

1,111 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Bob N. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • MNDevGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This post is primarily uploads - want to share my download dilemma: I want to get all files off of an old laptop I am getting rid of, so I synced 2.2GB of 253,900 files up to OneDrive: took 3 1/2 days over my Comcast 146MB/s down - 6 MB/s up - okay, expected slow 'up' and it was. Now all files showed as synced, so I removed the OneDrive account and secure wiped the laptop HD (files only exist on OneDrive now).
    Okay - next step: get files to my 3.2GHz, 16GB Mem, 12 TB HD Desktop with OneDrive on my 512GB SSD with 84GB free...

HOW to force sync to PC??? Insane. Took a while before it started, then started counting down: now at "Processing 248,234 changes" now after 2 days. Timed it and it drops about 175-225 files per hour. Most of these files are very small... and I have a pretty consistent 140+MB/s download speed to multiple cities.

OneDrive flaw: I can download the files directly from the OneDrive website to a different location on my HD - to do this might be faster, but for 200,000+ files... not easy. Tried picking one folder and after a couple minutes I gave up, it never came back with a 'Save' dialog like it does if you pick one file.
    SO - I Agree with this post - need to fix speed of uploading and downloading. I also like another comment here requesting a 'Sync Now' button -why not two: "Sync to PC" and "Sync to Cloud"!.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not exactly sure if this comment falls into the idea, but saving to a OneDrive enabled folder on my brand new laptop takes almost 15 seconds, with two "Processing.." popups. If I save to a non-OneDrive managed folder it takes 2 seconds. The 15 seconds is too long.

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disabled the files on demand option as others mentioned and uploads go way faster now.

Makes no sense. Doesn't seem like that should cause files to upload so freaking slow.

When I put a Word document of 100 kB in a OneDrive for Business folder on my laptop, it takes forever to upload it to OneDrive.
    When I put the same file directly into a Onedrive folder online in my browser, it takes 2 seconds. But then it takes forever to sync to my local folder...

• Fede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I I have a 500 MB broadband conexion. MS OneDrive is going extremly slow, I use other cloud services and by far is the slowest one for uploads.
    Once uploaded, browsing is quick but to upload me 100 GB can take me one week according to the average speed of the last 12 hours. I have the paid subscription....

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem. No issue with downloads only uploads. Cant upload any faster that 50kbps. I have a 40Mbit upload speed. Never had issues in the past until the last month or so :(. Have tried the 'fixes' but without success.

I just upgraded from the free 5GB to the paid 50GB. Upload speed is averaging around 1.2 Mbs. Given that I will use all 50GBs, this uploading of my files will take days. Very unfortunate.

Onedrive is pathetically slow... my computer fans are running continuously! The business onedrive at work was amazingly quick but my personal paid onedrive has been horribly slow. Getting tired of it and hope microsoft comes up with some fixes or answers. Tried 'Files on demand' on/off but doesn't seem to work.

• Saravana Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently switched to Onedrive from Google Drive in India.

Onedrive was much much faster than Google Drive. I have a 100 Mbps connection and the upload speeds were around 10 MBps on average.

I was very happy I switched to Onedrive because of the speed.

• Alys S-J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem...fix it please or I will have to find an alternative...I would welcome suggestions from the community...

• TDR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have performance issues saving Microsoft Office files when running OneDrive, make "Use Office Applications to Sync Office files that I open" is not enabled under the Office settings tab in One Drive. The disables collaborative editing in Office, but its basically unusable for large files otherwise. A 100MB Powrpoint can takes tens of minutes to save when this setting is on!

• Scot McConnachie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was planning to switch my file synchronization service to OneDrive, so I selected the AutoSave option for my standard folders, including documents. After a few tweaks the evaluation said that it was ready to go. My normal 15 mb/s upload speed collapsed to 1.5 mb/s. File synchronization is now 40 hours in with probably another 20 hours remaining.

As both my Documents and my OneDrive folder had red 'x's next to them I am not touching them until the process completes. Then I am going to have to look for a different synchronization service.

This makes the included 1 TB of cloud in Office 365 essentially useless.

I had the same problem - super slow, fans whirring, etc. Problem solved when I turned off "files on demand" . All fine now.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not limited to Windows - also mac version of one drive personal. Very very slow

I was going to try and utilise the OneDrive with the MS apps on my iPad so I could easily work on document when flying - I can’t even upload a 3-page word doc currently stored on iCloud to onedrive - so slooooooooow. So scrapping that idea.

Bloody ****, it's true - turn off "files on demand" and the crawling giant wakes up! Clearly a major bug in the files on demand algorithm. What a pile of steaming poo. Feels like we're dealing with a fly-by-night chancer not a supposed global leader in the field!

• Yogie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today I want to give OneDrive a try. Been a Dropbox user for years, it been served me really well. But OneDrive is cheaper and has Office offering, so I gave it a try. So disappointed to found out that the upload process in OneDrive is very slow compared to Dropbox for the same amount of files. Please Microsoft, fix it soon. Will sticking to Dropbox for now.

• Boxy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try this have some 15000 small files in one folder, copy it to the one drive local folder with wifi off, internet off and then try copying in the same hdd outside the one drive folder. the files are copied slower inside onedrive folder. bigger one file copies same but smaller chunks are slower inside the local folder

• Kristoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

on a 100/20mb line here currently toping out at 1.5mb/s download speed, most of time hovering around 700kb/s

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base