OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Verrrrrrrrry Slow

OneDrive is pathetically slow with uploads. For at least the last two weeks, it's been closer to dial up speeds. It can take hours to upload 500 meg. Historically, I haven't seen uploads faster than very low broadband speeds. I have a decent broadband connection - can stream HD movies and do other things simultaneously. I'm truly sick of it. What's more amazing...I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER. I'm not just using the free version. I would expect slower speeds if I were only using the free version. But to pay money and get this, pitiful.

990 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bob N. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Boxy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try this have some 15000 small files in one folder, copy it to the one drive local folder with wifi off, internet off and then try copying in the same hdd outside the one drive folder. the files are copied slower inside onedrive folder. bigger one file copies same but smaller chunks are slower inside the local folder

• Kristoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

on a 100/20mb line here currently toping out at 1.5mb/s download speed, most of time hovering around 700kb/s

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm about to move over from dropbox and migrate tb's worth of data.

Just started and looking at 4mb/s (on wifi) and 4.4mb/s (on ethernet).

This is a jokes

• DaniB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure what's going on, but I'm seeing the same thing on the personal OneDrive account, but not the business one. I just uploaded a 600MB video file to SharePoint in a matter of maybe 60 seconds. At the same time I am trying to sync OneDrive files and it took at least 10x that time to upload about the same amount of data. It's never been this bad before. My business OneDrive zipped through a bunch of syncs earlier today, but the personal has been struggling for days. And you can't even blame the wifi. I was wired for the past two days at work and it took just as long. What I have noticed is that it takes the same time to upload a 5MB photo or a <1MB file - in this case it seems that size doesn't matter. :/ By my calculations, it will take me 22 hours to upload 13GB. I even pared that down from 19GB by moving some Outlook archives to an external drive.

• Mr Robot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Downloading 30GB from Ondrive using a wired connection did a speed test getting 360MB download it takes 2 hours to download just 8GB why am I paying for such a **** service?

• JRP Support commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as dated:
        iPhone App really slow uploading images.
        I have a 100Mb up/down leased line BTW

• RVE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also paying for the consumer version of Onedrive. Using wired connection gets exactly same upload speed as wifi about 1.5mb sec. Must be throttled or bottlenecked at MS's end. Truly pathetic and unusable.

Need to see some response from Microsoft.
        I won't keep paying for this level of service.

• Greg Thomason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just did the math for uploading a simple Word document, with no graphics, my system requires 17 seconds to upload one-megabyte. As a fraction of a minute, that's .283333333.

There are 1 million megabytes to a terabyte. So, if I wanted to upload a terabyte of data, for storage purposes, onto OneDrive, it would take me 283,333.33333 minutes. Accepting that there are 60 minutes to an hour, that's 4,722.22222 hours which, when divided by 24, equals 196.76 days to upload a terabyte of plain text data; or over half of a year.

Yo, MicroSoft, even the U.S. Postal Service can share my data at faster rate.

By-the-way, I did find an ethernet cable, and have gone back to tethering my CPU to my modem (see remarks, below).

• Greg Thomason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reminds me of the days when 1,200 baud upload speeds were considered fast.

And MicroSoft's suggested solution? Get off your WiFi connection. Come on! We've all thrown out the old ethernet cables that once connected us, and now we are being told to go and retrieve these relics from the trash so OneDrive can look good?

I am having same issue. It has been taking weeks to upload only a couple of gigs. This has never been an issue with one drive. Why is this happening now?

• Sergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. I've been waiting for about 4 days to upload 9 GBs to OneDrive. It takes DropBox 30 minutes to upload 20 GBs... If OneDrive could do this in 2 or 3 hours, I wouldn't mind. But 4 days and still waiting??????? O_o

• ls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cannot believe it is taking this long to transfer files from another cloud service to OneDrive....it's literally been days....and while it is uploading wi-fi is pretty useless for other applications. I am paying for this subscription and my former cloud service was free. I am astounded.

• PeterPE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very slow upload of files... anyway I'm uploading 7 mb in 30 min, no in case of my internet connection... there is bug or I dont know...

Please do smth with it.

Anonymous - Do you have any suggestions for other cloud services? I'm experiencing the same thing today. I've typically liked one drive for an easy cloud storage solution. I'd rather just have one cloud service as opposed to having things in icloud as well.
        I'm currently much more vested in Microsoft platforms so it makes one drive an easy choice, but things have been pretty slow lately.

Same today, I've been uploading files to Onedrive and moving existing files around and the time it's taking to do any of this is a complete joke. Safe to say that I'll be looking around for other MS application compatible cloud storage.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same experience. Our business tried using onedrive because it is integrated with our office products, but upload is completely unusable. I have had files trying to upload for five weeks now and they are still "trying". Last night (12hrs ago) I switched things back to dropbox and I have completed the upload of nearly 100x the amount of data to dropbox in 12 hrs that onedrive has taken weeks to try to upload and is still no where close to finished with. Garbage. Not sure where the problem is on there end but the performance isn't even within the realm of possibility. TOTALLY NON-FUNCTIONAL!

It's been a MONTH since it started syncing, but still not even half of the files are downloaded. I mean, it's taking more than A FULL ******* MONTH. How is it taking so long? Uploaded files are less just around 20 GB and my PC is on more than 12 hours a day. (Of course my network status is fine.)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base