OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Verrrrrrrrry Slow

OneDrive is pathetically slow with uploads. For at least the last two weeks, it's been closer to dial up speeds. It can take hours to upload 500 meg. Historically, I haven't seen uploads faster than very low broadband speeds. I have a decent broadband connection - can stream HD movies and do other things simultaneously. I'm truly sick of it. What's more amazing...I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER. I'm not just using the free version. I would expect slower speeds if I were only using the free version. But to pay money and get this, pitiful.

631 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bob N. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft fellas,
        You are killing OneDrive by pretending not to see what's happening here and not giving us a fix, or at least an answer.
        At least in Australia (maybe wider) the app is synchronising incredibely slow, and mess up the whole internet connexion, with all devices using it. (No Netflix, no Spotify, nothing, a google search takes 15 sec !)

Please, acknowledge the problem here and do something about it before we're all gone for google drive...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my onedrive is fine beofre, about two months ago, I notice windows 10 applied big update, after that my onedrive are very very very slow, expecatly when creating folder, i may take several minutes. now i have to consider to use google drive.

the same problems, when I just bought for one year usage then the downloading speed is like this. please check and fix it.

• PerA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have same problems, uploading is so slow that it looks like it could take weeks (calculated from reported up load speed and size that is to be uploaded) . However, if I turn off screen savers, hibernation after inactive,... and leaves the computer alone (no mice movements, no keypresses) every thing synchronises within some hours, one night.

From this I deduct that uploads synchronisaiton is running in background with low priority. Is this true ? Is it possible to increase the priority when trying to upload large amount of files ?

• Mridu Harsh Sharma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team!
        App should sync two or three files at a time for users with slow internet access. Everytime 10 files sync starts at a time and everytime i cancel.

Is this just an australia issue, I have a paid storage for onedrive, while in australia the best i can get is uploading of 120Kb/s and that is update and from between 0 and 120Kb/s. Often its 30kb/sec

but i recently had a short break in bali, the free!!! hotel wifi connected my onedrive and started uploading at 5.4MB/sec, so in the couple of days I was there I managed to backup my work. Back in australia and it is back to terrible speeds again.

Unfortuantely in australia am still on ADSL2 as i appear to be part of 9% of the population that doesn't get NBN and my office doesn't have NBN available until next year - pathetic.

This has been precisely my experience. If Dropbox weren't threastening to start charging me I would very happily indeed go back to that rather than use OneDRive. I dislike OneDrive very much

Same here.

Just coped one code project. 300MB a few thousand files. Machine has been procesing files for 2 days now. Uploads tiny 1kb files takes ages. Running modern machine with sdd and 100MB fibre. This should not be the case.

• Jim Keir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And another. Did a full system reinstall a couple of weeks ago because OneDrive started totally locking Explorer, requiring a hard power-off to free it. Noticed today that one app was taking about half an hour to respond to a "next" button because it was writing a SQLite journal, about 3-5Kb, to OneDrive, over a 38Mb fiber connection.

I've spent many days trying to diagnose this without success, and I have to say I'm unusually persistent. I've now moved everything to Google Drive and it's back to normal.

• pham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ah ha I am not alone here, however it has just about a month ago,
        Before I did my synchronization for 25Gb and it took only 4-6 hours
        Is anything relative to bandwidth ?
        I am using premium office 360 with 1T storage and just used about nearly 200 GB

• Kacper Dudzik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here: Yesterday I have sent 120 clips from my Xbox One to OneDrive - only 5 were delivered in the timeframe of 1 hour, the other 2 clips within few hours, so 113 clips missing <3 About 10 GBs if not more of these files size is just gone in other dimension between Xbox Live drive and actual OneDrive, fantastic - on April 9th it was all fine and quick, now it's terrible...

• Zyber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! I'm NOT alone!
        Irritatingly slow! Can't work in OneDrive... it's like trying to do everything in slowmo or, as one of the comments said, it's a dial-up connection. Maybe it's what MS use for their servers?!

• A Gil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is annoying I've been trying to transfer my Dropbox data to Onedrive but it is taking forever...really disappointing!

• B Lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add that it is somehow simultaneously slow AND completely takes up our bandwidth. I cannot do anything while a sync is running.Load a google search? No Chance. Why does an upload take out my download?? Poor form.

• dWerby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 175up/25down and I agree 100% with this thread. The website works fine but synchronizing folders is just terrible. I will be switching as well if a performance upgrade isn't addressed in the near future.

Thank you

• Guitarhero2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Change to Google Drive. Much much better. And you can view RAW image thumbnails in your folders!!!!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base