OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Using Process Monitor to find sync problems

Like a lot of other people, I’ve had a recurring issue with OneDrive saying it was syncing files but never finishes syncing. Since OneDrive doesn’t have a way to show you what it’s trying to sync, I used the Windows Sysinternals app ‘Process Monitor’ to see exactly what OneDrive was doing.

After launching Process Monitor, I searched for OneDrive, right-clicked the entry and selected “Include ‘OneDrive.exe’” from the drop-down. This filtered the list so only the OneDrive process entries were shown.

I found a lot of repeated references to telemetryCache and SyncEngine files, which I ignored, but the only file of mine that showed up in the list was one of my PowerBI template files.

I moved the template file to another folder that’s not in OneDrive and within a few seconds OneDrive finally finished synchronizing. I moved the file back to where it originally was in OneDrive, it synced, and now OneDrive is fully synced with all my files in place.

What’s interesting about this resolution is that OneDrive said it had two files it was trying to sync. Obviously, this may not help everyone, but I would at least recommend attempting it to see if you can possibly locate a similar issue.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Michael Stephens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base