OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Syncing over LAN

This would allow multiple PCs / Devices with the same OneDrive account to sync over the local LAN network. This makes a huge difference when setting a new PC (or restoring one) as you can transfer 100's of gigs over the LAN much faster and without impacting your Internet bandwidth cap.

5,250 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  Omar Shahine responded  · 

We’ll consider this in the future. Right now it’s not high on our backlog (just being transparent).

278 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only reason we use Dropbox today is because of Dropbox LAN sync, where regardless of the user, files first look to other Dropbox accounts on the network to pull the file from and then if not found locally it pulls from the cloud. Bandwidth is $1,000 USD/5 Mbps in our area of the world! Must be efficient!

• Diarmuid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to the 276 here already. It's nice to think that everyone has a high speed internet connection and unlimited bandwidth, but the reality is very different. Synchronisation over LAN would make a huge difference to my opinion of OneDrive as a team collaboration tool.

• Francis Ollivier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow.... 5 years without any update on this feature ? UserVoice is THAT useful? This feature should be a no-brainer nowadays. Seems like Onedrive hasn't discovered the wheel yet while other cloud-based services have been using it for years.

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are just looking to implement Teams/Sharepoint so we can eliminate local file shares and this is a concern for us. We don't have very high bandwidth availability and we need services other than OneDrive/Sharepoint to share the bandwidth. We are a tenant of 4,000 users.

• Suri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is the feature that made me go back to dropbox. I love lots of additional benefits provided by onedrive . But lack of LAN sync in deal breaker

• Marco Pirazzoli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is HUGE for companies with big files. I have 300 users with files as big as 1GB each on onedrive for business (and Windows 7/8). Every time I can't afford to have to download 300GB!

• Itpro44 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this Microsoft? It’s been 5 years since we heard from you in this. This would be a game changer!

• Joseph A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think LAN sync is a key feature to have available, Dropbox provides this facility so cant see why Microsoft cannot do the same. I subscribe to office 365 and so have access to 1G of cloud storage, with more than one PC LAN syncing would do nothing other than make complete sense.

• Randal Junior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I be honest? There is no backlog more important than the 2nd most requested features from the users, its just less important than the 1st most requested feature that is differential sync.

• Matan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just migrated from dropbox to office 365 family subscription and had to sync 44 GB of pictures into seperate PCs. This would take several hours with our lazy internet here. But in dropbox the "LAN SYNC" syncs all the files in a gigabit LAN internally. Please do this ASAP..

• Mike B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just transferred in from Dropbox, and my 750GB is now having to sync OVER THE INTERNET despite the vast majority of my computers all being on the same LAN.

I really do appreciate the huge strides in product quality and usability that MS has made over the last few years, but for this to have sat on the backlog for over four years is an appalling indictment on your priorities vs those of your paying customers.

• RC Roeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is also missing an opportunity to build a device to allow this. You still get the fees, but reduce traffic.

• RC Roeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With ISP imposing data cap limits, this would be a way to help the users. I just rebuild one of my PC, it takes days to sync from OneDrive even when the content was restored.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An essential feature. Stop everything and add this. There is not a thing that could possibly be a higher priority than this. 4 years in request stage... Disgusting...

• Marhinus Plessis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we get some additional feedback from Microsoft @Omar Shahine??? This is clearly more important than you think. My business is currently using 1TB/day in bandwidth thanks to no local sync!! Please Microsoft PLEASE!!!!

• Brian Craigie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well Duh. This is an absolutely must-have. With 20 users, all syncing 2.8TB, doing it over the LAN from one main source is going to save using oodles of data!

• Henning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this feature is not very high on your backlog then you will always loose out to dropbox. Our clients dont want to migrate to Onedrive because this is one of the reasons and dropbox I can add anything and it will sync as to where onedrive always some issue with one of your files. Listening to your clients needs i think is more important if you want this product to grow much faster.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base