OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Syncing over LAN

This would allow multiple PCs / Devices with the same OneDrive account to sync over the local LAN network. This makes a huge difference when setting a new PC (or restoring one) as you can transfer 100's of gigs over the LAN much faster and without impacting your Internet bandwidth cap.

5,680 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Michael shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thinking about it  ·  Omar Shahine responded  · 

We’ll consider this in the future. Right now it’s not high on our backlog (just being transparent).

296 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mario commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How come this was not implemented from the very start? user's do not keep 300mb like in the old days. Nowadays user's keep 50GIG+ data in their personal drives even when establishing tight policies such as 2GIG quota allowed they still want 100GB+ in a business model at the personal level I couldn't not backup my 4TB via OneDrive yet unless I separate this into 8 different user's accounts.

• Joshua Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only feature keeping me from moving our entire production file system from Dropbox!
    having multiple users accessing and updating a few 1Gb files 20-30 times/day each is a nightmare to sync via the cloud.

• George Cretu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be added in.
    It's a pain when having multiple PC in the same network all to wait on the file to be pushed in the cloud and downloaded back to them.

• Tee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Omar Shahine @Ryan Hoge

This is imperative!
    FIVE years after you noted it wasn't high on your backlog even though it's the second most voted topic and it's still not implemented!!! What does this say about Microsoft's understanding of their client's requirements and the software features?
    And Microsoft just ignore the comments. There's a new preview just been released and it's STILL not implemented. WTF?!?! Every OneDrive user should be seriously mad about this. It's NOT good enough.

LAN sync option would make file synchronistaion SO much faster. As it is, users have to wait for their file to sync to the cloud before the other users gets the right version. This causes lots of conflicts with versions when two or more people are working on the same file.

• Sascha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update regarding this matter?
    It would be awesome if OneDrive would support this...

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make the product as good as dropbox. It lags way behind it because of this reason.

• TShott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please reconsider this into "boom! it's done"
    This would be a much loved feature for both my personal devices sync and the multiple work devices I am required to use.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a very important feature for us, shouldn't be too hard to implement. Any updates on this?

• Sysadmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Want to get off of Dropbox desperately, but missing this feature keeps us from doing it.
    We are a 300-user corporate customer with 100.000's of euro's worth of Microsoft products in house

When will this come? This is absolutely essential to have... Dropbox has this sorted, why can't Onedrive?

• Bogdan Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By implementing just this one feature, Microsoft will make at least 50% of it's users fall in love with OneDrive and return back to using it. Please implement it and do it for Mac as well.

• Peter T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"just being transparent" - it's far from transparent if you don't have a nice fats corporate network! It takes me days to sync a few large files. Fortunately, I have enough data allowance that I won't end up paying extra due to it. Surely Microsoft is able to do what Dropbox has done for years??

The only reason we use Dropbox today is because of Dropbox LAN sync, where regardless of the user, files first look to other Dropbox accounts on the network to pull the file from and then if not found locally it pulls from the cloud. Bandwidth is $1,000 USD/5 Mbps in our area of the world! Must be efficient!

• Diarmuid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to the 276 here already. It's nice to think that everyone has a high speed internet connection and unlimited bandwidth, but the reality is very different. Synchronisation over LAN would make a huge difference to my opinion of OneDrive as a team collaboration tool.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base