OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Syncing over LAN

This would allow multiple PCs / Devices with the same OneDrive account to sync over the local LAN network. This makes a huge difference when setting a new PC (or restoring one) as you can transfer 100's of gigs over the LAN much faster and without impacting your Internet bandwidth cap.

5,072 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  Omar Shahine responded  · 

We’ll consider this in the future. Right now it’s not high on our backlog (just being transparent).

270 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just transferred in from Dropbox, and my 750GB is now having to sync OVER THE INTERNET despite the vast majority of my computers all being on the same LAN.

I really do appreciate the huge strides in product quality and usability that MS has made over the last few years, but for this to have sat on the backlog for over four years is an appalling indictment on your priorities vs those of your paying customers.

• RC Roeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is also missing an opportunity to build a device to allow this. You still get the fees, but reduce traffic.

• RC Roeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With ISP imposing data cap limits, this would be a way to help the users. I just rebuild one of my PC, it takes days to sync from OneDrive even when the content was restored.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An essential feature. Stop everything and add this. There is not a thing that could possibly be a higher priority than this. 4 years in request stage... Disgusting...

• Marhinus Plessis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we get some additional feedback from Microsoft @Omar Shahine??? This is clearly more important than you think. My business is currently using 1TB/day in bandwidth thanks to no local sync!! Please Microsoft PLEASE!!!!

• Brian Craigie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well Duh. This is an absolutely must-have. With 20 users, all syncing 2.8TB, doing it over the LAN from one main source is going to save using oodles of data!

• Henning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this feature is not very high on your backlog then you will always loose out to dropbox. Our clients dont want to migrate to Onedrive because this is one of the reasons and dropbox I can add anything and it will sync as to where onedrive always some issue with one of your files. Listening to your clients needs i think is more important if you want this product to grow much faster.

• MSE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is not about setting up new PCs. It's about a number of people in an office (or large household for that matter) environment having the same files sync-ed (sunc?), and any files being updated needing to be sync-ed via the cloud. That's lots of bandwidth being used just to stay in sync.

• marwerno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For others setting up a new Laptop/ PC:
        Copy the stuff from the old PC to the New PC. Only afterwards setup OneDrive.
        OneDrive will compare contents and will realize content is the same and will not re-download the content.
        Still would be nice if this could be done automatically by OneDrive.

• marwerno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here:
        3 computer on a common upload bandwidth of 50Kbyte/ sec.
        Uploading Videos and Pictures from the weekends sometimes takes days... (Especially since I have other cloud services also uploading as redundancy. So take this at 25kB/s! On large data I often have to pause the other cloud service)
        Until this data is uploaded they cannot be downloaded by the other PCs. Especially the wifes PC which make for unhappy Wife..
        You know the saying:
        Happy Wife, Happy Life
        Make my life happy :-)

• Mick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointed that this functionality is missing. It was a very useful feature of other cloud storage utilities for syncing large files between computers. In Australia the accessible speeds in capatal cities still struggle to ***** 1MB/s in many areas.

• Eric Mulvihill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hard to believe this is not a top priority. It's a must-have to efficiently keep a bunch of computers with synced content on the same network.

This should be a priority. If you trying to get marketshare from dropbox, then you must have this.

• Wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why it wouldn't be a priority :-( I thought the idea of having info on the cloud is so you can access your files on any of your devices? Not clog up the internet with synching each individual device if you have to re-install or get a new device. I've been trying to synch my new laptop for weeks :-(

• Benjamin H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just recently migrated from dropbox (after using it since their beta time), loving one-drive so far except for that one fact that now files only get synced to the cloud, not via local network.

I use it for photography, importing photos from one device to then switch to a different one, where the image folder is synced as well.
        Lately i'm lucky to have a fast internet connection, but depending on this for a local sync kinda sucks.

I'm still keeping some important files in Dropbox for the time being, as their sync is just much faster. Let's see how i'll do after the current onedrive period is over.

Add this as soon as possible. I was surprised to know this feature does not exist already.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add LAN sync. I use Dropbox and its sync's almost immediately over the LAN. I'd covert to OneDrive if you added this feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base