OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Enable differential sync (only sync parts of the files that changed)

Today OneDrive implements differential sync only for Office files (that is, syncing only the changes made to the file, instead of the entire file). It would be a significant improvement for this capability to work against any files in OneDrive - so smaller changes to a file would result in less data needing to be transmitted, meaning less time to sync changes back and forth, and more efficient use of network bandwidth.

6,492 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PJD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was on the 2017 roadmap, yet in July 2018 you're still just "thinking about it".

Absolute ludicrous. We've being 'staying tuned' for four years.

I guess we'll still be here in 2022 where you will have 'thought about it' just that little bit more, but no one will care, because other services will have had this essential feature implemented for a decade.

Onedrive is third-rate cloud storage, and that's being generous.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Listen to your customers - this is the one feature that makes DropBox better; implement it.

• Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I travel a lot and rely on 4G and use large CAD files, although minor changes. This would be hugely beneficial to me and my phone bill!!!

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider it, this would be a major improvement.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is far and away the most popular request!
        It is 4 years old.
        As others have said, it is clearly possible.
        What else is there to think about?

Our sales reps travel frequently, often to remote areas, and rely on mobile (i.e. 4G) data.
        Reduced data transfer is an extremely high priority for us!

Dropbox shows for years now how it works with block level synchronisation. Given the huge impact on traffic, sync times and business opportunity, it's totally unclear why this is not the top priority feature and they are still "thinking about it" - they should be "coding about it"

• Wolvy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only reason I don't use OneDrive. I have 560GB of data and sync my data using Dropbox because Dropbox actually has this feature straight out of the box! I can't afford to upload 2GB files every time I edit one little thing on the file. It's ridiculous.

For Microsoft to still be thinking about this means that they are so ridiculously slow on the uptake of the technology era we live in.

• Tas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a MUST have feature. The lack of differential sync keeps dropbox in the solution stack for customers working on large files such as CAD or design files.

• Karsten Hartlieb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently woke up my old dropbox account to sync an encrypted vhd across devices as dropbox supports syncing changed blocks only :(

Would love to do that with my OneDrive for Business instead….

Please add this benefit. When One Drive is operating, I can not do anything else on the computer. It takes all the band width.

• Sprow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be very worthwhile - especially for regular data (like repeating fixed size records, or large bitmap images) where most of the file hasn't changed.

An API that's equivalent to being able to open in existing file (fopen) moving to the offset that changed (fseek) and writing the changes (fwrite).

I can see that for more complex data streams, like a big JPEG photo, that even a few pixels of change would result in a totally different run of bytes so would be much more complex. The API would need a means of moving unchanged blocks up (without having to download and re-upload them) on the server then filling in the gaps with the above fopen-fseek-fwrite operations.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be the single biggest thing that would improve OneDrive for me, especially because it doesn't look like faster internet is going to be available in our area any time soon.

• Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be HUGE for those of us who frequently travel to/live internationally in areas with poor internet connections! Spending all my votes on this suggestion.

• Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous that this has not been implemented yet... everyday I upload 2GB PST file just because I got 2 new emails in my outlook inbox..

• Rafael “R4to0” Maciel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They promised this feature (in the 2017 roadmap) and haven't done yet... That's disrespectful to customers. Not worth subscribing to the paid storage.

• Bard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this even actually getting considered? 4 of the top 5 requests in the feedback are about improving sync functionality and nothing has been changing in the released version in 4 years. No differential sync, no lan sync, no duplicate sync, no sync for mobile, nothing.

• Dawie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Above it states that differential sync has been implemented for Office files. Does this mean it should already work for Outlook PST files?

Anyway - Agree this should be a must for all files - makes absolute sense...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base