OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Enable differential sync (only sync parts of the files that changed)

Today OneDrive implements differential sync only for Office files (that is, syncing only the changes made to the file, instead of the entire file). It would be a significant improvement for this capability to work against any files in OneDrive - so smaller changes to a file would result in less data needing to be transmitted, meaning less time to sync changes back and forth, and more efficient use of network bandwidth.

7,659 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
PJD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

200 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Leonardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

open in 2014 and today in 2019 is in the plans? Is this site outdated or bankrupt?

• dsghi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lol Randal, what a rediculous comment. So the reason differential sync is such a difficult problem is due to the various layers of encryption that are used to protect our files which are stored in OneDrive. Great news though, this should be marked as in progress, there was just a demonstration of this last week at SharePoint conference. It will be released by the end of the year.

• Randal Junior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I found a explanation. They didn't allow differential sync to discourage the sync of large files. So they can offer a bigger storage, with less actual server storage. It's like a flight overbooking, they share the empty space across more users.
    The fewer big files that are less accessed, cause of the bandwidth requirements, are kept in cheaper and slower storage. They win on both sides.

• Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long does it take to get suggestions put into reality, are MS still thinking about it since July 2018? Its so frustrating to get no feedback. Would be interested to know how many developers are actually on the OneDrive dev team as clearly things aren't happening quickly enough.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A feature supported by all the "other options" for years...
    A feature that can have a HUGE impact on the sync performance (only the CORE function of the application_...
    Nearly 5 years since being requested...
    Nearly 1 year since last update that actually said "Stay Tuned"...
    The #1 voted feature request by thousands of votes....
    Given the above, surely, you can at least give regular updates?

What-ever the answer is, it would be better than silence...
    even...
    "we tried, we failed, our infrastructure blah blah blah, excuse excuse"
    "we don't care"
    "other things are still more important"
    "try Dropbox - it already does this for years"
    Just say something!
    Kill off the false hopes or give real hope.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this feature been enabled now? It sure seems to be. A 115MB file that I change constantly now (for the past month or so) only takes a few seconds to upload when it has always taken a few minutes before (and completely saturated my bandwidth if I didn't have it throttled).

• Rosalie Muir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has the upload not working now from recording from Recording Pro no longer uploads to OneDrive ?

• David S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially important for tags on MP3 and MP4 files. I recently edited the title tag of one of my 1.5GB MP4 files and the entire file had to re-upload. Not fun on my slow "Basic Starter" cable internet connection.

• Francis Ollivier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be nice to have an updated status on this feature which should be a no-brainer nowadays. Seems like Onedrive hasn't discovered the wheel yet while other cloud-based services have been using it for years.

I would like to point out that Code42's CrashPlan does this -- It uses block-level (not just file level) incremental backup.

Regardless of MS' willingness to meet their users' needs, there must be a financial incentive in saved bandwith and storage of multiple versions of large documents. Not to mention the environmental considerations of spent resources, moving and storing unnecessarily large amounts of data...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base