OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Enable differential sync (only sync parts of the files that changed)

Today OneDrive implements differential sync only for Office files (that is, syncing only the changes made to the file, instead of the entire file). It would be a significant improvement for this capability to work against any files in OneDrive - so smaller changes to a file would result in less data needing to be transmitted, meaning less time to sync changes back and forth, and more efficient use of network bandwidth.

7,397 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PJD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

188 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this feature been enabled now? It sure seems to be. A 115MB file that I change constantly now (for the past month or so) only takes a few seconds to upload when it has always taken a few minutes before (and completely saturated my bandwidth if I didn't have it throttled).

• Rosalie Muir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has the upload not working now from recording from Recording Pro no longer uploads to OneDrive ?

• David S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially important for tags on MP3 and MP4 files. I recently edited the title tag of one of my 1.5GB MP4 files and the entire file had to re-upload. Not fun on my slow "Basic Starter" cable internet connection.

• Francis Ollivier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be nice to have an updated status on this feature which should be a no-brainer nowadays. Seems like Onedrive hasn't discovered the wheel yet while other cloud-based services have been using it for years.

I would like to point out that Code42's CrashPlan does this -- It uses block-level (not just file level) incremental backup.

Regardless of MS' willingness to meet their users' needs, there must be a financial incentive in saved bandwith and storage of multiple versions of large documents. Not to mention the environmental considerations of spent resources, moving and storing unnecessarily large amounts of data...

• Alex B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dropbox and many other services have this feature for years, I'm quite disappointed just finding out now that it can't be done. I was selling the idea of using sharepoint and sync files with onedrive as a replacement for a fileserver but syncing big files back and forth as a while just because you changed one single letter.

• Itpro44 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being the top requested feature by users, it would really be nice to see Microsoft provide more frequent and more detailed updates.

• Randal Junior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You guys could be more transparent on this. What is the real problem? Its about some patent infringement concern, low budget, legacy compatibility, personal shortage? Many of other cloud services already have this, and even open source softwares too, like rsync.
        Come on.

• sep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is needed, specially to work with VeraCrypt, it is syncing back all the file I am using OneDrive client for MacBook ... dropbox has it....

• Ihr Name commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happens - it is a necesserary requirement for working with Veracrypt and OneDrive!

See how it's not a good idea to use proprietary tools. In an open source project this could be implemented by anybody willing and capable. Would be working already...

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just integrate with Data Deduplication and be done with it!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base