OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Enable differential sync (only sync parts of the files that changed)

Today OneDrive implements differential sync only for Office files (that is, syncing only the changes made to the file, instead of the entire file). It would be a significant improvement for this capability to work against any files in OneDrive - so smaller changes to a file would result in less data needing to be transmitted, meaning less time to sync changes back and forth, and more efficient use of network bandwidth.

6,867 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PJD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

171 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just integrate with Data Deduplication and be done with it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus, differential sync for all file types would be a huge improvement

• sscarcella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen soon! we use geodatabases that can be a few GB and for every user to have to sync the entire file for just a couple character changes is ridiculous!

• Ion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are you "still thinking about this" when it leads the 2nd place issue by several thousand votes?

• Benjamin H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As i said in the Lan-Sync topic:

I recently switched over from Dropbox, i would love to completely cut it off and switch to onedrive, but this is the one feature really keeping me from it.

I'm using it for photography, and while the actual images (raw files) do not change, i also have the lightroom library in the sync which is a couple of large catalogue files that keep changing very often.

Having them in onedrive sync was completely impossible forcing me to quit the onedrive client, while i was eding files, to turn it on after for a single full sync.

Not i split the folders (which was a pain to do), and have the catalogue file in dropbox again. Annoying to have it split in two, but the only way to get it to work.

I will have to evaluate if it's viable to stay with onedrive when the current period reaches it's end. Even though i love it otherwise this is not a really nice solution - and a pain to set up on every new device i want to add.

• Vishal Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our Org of 15,000 + employees, we have a number of cloud providers.

Even with a full E3 suite deployed to all employees, everyone prefers to *Suite or ***box.

For collaboration, as file sizes get larger, full syncs don't work. They just cause merge conflicts and inadvertent file overwrites. They hamper productivity and slow down teams.

Adding to this problem is the fact that OneDrive is just 2-5x slower to sync compared to other providers from our user testing. The speed variance is also large in comparison where other providers are consistent. The gap becomes larger with large file sizes.

No new features matter in comparison to the core user experience and productivity.

With these large number of votes, why "still thinking about it"? It's a no-brainer.

Our organisation with 100,000 employees is moving to DropBox at the end of the year unless this feature is implemented.

• Evan Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have my Lightroom catalogue and iTunes music library on Onedrive - every time I make a change in lightroom it has to resync a 400MB file and the same thing everytime I play a song in iTunes - this is ridiculous and really problematic.
        How and why has this taken so long to implement when Dropbox has had it for years!?

• Robert Ligocki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bob L. This a feature that has to be implemented sooner than later!!
        What is the hold up.
        Confucius says: Man waiting with pencil in hand for paper to long. Pencil dies of dry rot. You are like the people who couldn't move on to new technology!!!!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys any updates on this? this is a crucial feature thats lacking in onedrive and other competitors like drop box are winning but i have a 1TB storage waiting for me on onedrive which isn't been used.

I would agree with the need for this. Also I would add that I understand there is a brand new update the will SYNC the "Documents" folder to the office cloud. That feature needs to include the option of choosing one or more subfolders to the Cloud instead of all folders in "Document".

• Neil C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only reason I am sticking with Dropbox, shame asI have 5TB waiting for me on my Office account - but can't use it. My Lightroom catalog files are 1GB+ and I don't want to be uploading that every day with every minor change, especially when I am using my laptop away from home. In 2018 this is a BIG deal-breaker for many. Come on MS!

• calsan :-) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Found out the hard way that this doesn't behave like dropbox. Added some tags to my photos - all were already uploaded to Onedrive... starts uploading complete photos again... 175Gb remaining... groan...

• Matt Postle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the one thing that DropBox does well that would be a HUGE benifit for OneDrive. Our IT infastructure uses Azure, Sharepoint online, full Office 365 suite, Exchange online, the only thing holding us back from moving some of our network drives to MS Online is no differential sync functionality for OneDrive (other than little office files). Our business is very mobile and uses a lot of 4G data (like 4 terrabytes each month) true differential sync in OneDrive/Sharepoint would have our company throwing fistfulls of money at MS to use it ASAP.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was on the 2017 roadmap, yet in July 2018 you're still just "thinking about it".

Absolute ludicrous. We've being 'staying tuned' for four years.

I guess we'll still be here in 2022 where you will have 'thought about it' just that little bit more, but no one will care, because other services will have had this essential feature implemented for a decade.

Onedrive is third-rate cloud storage, and that's being generous.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Listen to your customers - this is the one feature that makes DropBox better; implement it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base