OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Add support for authenticated proxies

The OneDrive desktop client currently doesn't work on networks with authenticated proxies. This makes OneDrive useless in these kinds of environments.

567 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Damien shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rob Powers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are you all worried about? Just open up your corporate network to the cloud and no baddies will get it.

• Lars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jason Moore, how long will you think about this? It is not possible to use One Drive in a standard corporate environment with authenticated proxies. Really? This is a no go for more than 50% of all big companies, i know.

• Ralph Keck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite a long time for thinking about it ;-)
        I would say, non Active Directory integrating proxies (Squid et al.) are are not widely spread in USA, so there is no need for Microsoft to support them.
        Btw: same problem with One Drive and One Drive for Business.

• Charles M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any progress on this?

If not, I support YSL suggestion below, can you at least create a KB to know what should be whitelisted to bypass proxy?

• Charles M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jason this is something you should really give top priority on OneDrive roadmap...

• YSL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, can you give me a list of domains to whitelist so that the necessary components of
        onedrive can work without going through the proxy?

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue really needs to be fixed, I've got 1TB of OneDrive storage that I can't utilise because OneDrive is stuck in the past and can't work with proxies. I can't believe that it's been over a year since Jason started "Thinking about it" and nothing has been done. I guess I'll just go back to external HDD's.

• Warwick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On top of Steve's comment below (I did the work to fix it), we actually created an explicit app rule for OneDrive. This fixed the personal issue (and actually would've fixed the business issue as well, except we already have explicit white-list overrides for a whole bunch of MS sites).

Suggestion - add an explicit rule within the app control tab for OneDrive, enable it, assigned to whatever groups of people you want. Done.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have one drive sitting behind an authenticated proxy, its been working for a year. The user is pre-authenticated and traffic allowed based on user access. Then we closed a hole in our proxy. This caused one drive for business to stop, once we identified the traffic and URL's we white listed to allow the traffic and now One drive for business works fine. One drive personal doesn't work, but one drive for business does, we need to work out the additional URLs and whitelist and personal will work.

PS the drop box proxy auth didn't work for years while they claimed it did.

• Ralph Keck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What kind of business software is it, that does not support proxies with authentication? This is an absolute NO GO!

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

speaking for a public sector entity from Switzerland - absolutely mandatory as we run a proxied corporate environment.

• joy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Somebody should sue YOU! For selling a product without a feature which is a safety requirement for any real organization

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be **&%^ FIXED ASAP or FULL a list of URL's provided so we can exclude OneDrive4B from being proxied.

• Franz Mltnr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? This can be a showstopper and as others said: Other MSFT applicatiosn have that functionality, where you could borrow the implementation from

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apart from the truly shameful attention for so long to a crucial customer need, I'm also baffled by the fact that my OneNote notebook on my OneDrive cloud storage DOES synchronize through my work network. Go figure!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base